Biology

chileanbob

Hello,

I'm planning to take Biology SL for May 09 and I was wondering if the following is correct

The core consists of Topics 1 -6 [statistical analysis, cells, the chemistry of life, genetics, ecology and evolution, human health and physiology]? This is where paper 1 draws its questions from?

The options are A - G? Which do you believe is the easiest to do well in? My teacher from last year recommended C and some other one that I can't remember now. Are we supposed to just study two of the options and that's it [for IB paper 3]? or are we supposed to focus on all 7? I feel studying an additional 5 options would be unnecessary.

Where does paper 2 draw its information from?

Paper 1--multiple choice questions from the core (SL material)

Paper 2--extended response & short answer from the core (SL material)

Paper 3--questions on the two options selected.

This is for SL. Get yourself a syllabus for Biology to make it clearer, or you can look at previous years', which have changed. But it's all relatively simple.

I have a sylabus and see the different topics and options, yet there's a section that says AHL. What's that? I would assume it's not for SL since it has A"HL" in it?

AHL means this bit is all Higher level hence AHL, meaning if you undertake standard you dont need that bit

:)

Since shotaway already answered your questions about what each paper focuses on, I'll just talk about paper 3 and the options. You only need to complete TWO sections in paper 3 (which means 2 options)..I did options C (photosynthesis & cell respiration) and D (evolution & ecology).

Option D is very very easy, I finished that section in like 5 mins on the exam. A lot of my friends opted to do option A (diet and nutrition) instead of C.

The evolution part first talks about several theories for evolution, and the evidence supporting them (Lamarckian theory, Darwin-Wallace theory, panspermia, special creation).

Then it gets into human evolution..you have to know a timeline of how humans evolved from African apes and then migrated to different parts of the world..different characteristics as we evolved (eg. use of tools, larger brain, transition from herbivores to omnivores, etc). Also have to know similarities between humans and primates that links us together. That's about it for the evolution.

For ecology, you have to know how to classify organisms (kingdom, phyla, class, order etc). Also need to know factors affecting population growth, and how you would calculate the population of a species in a certain area. Some knowledge of standard deviation is needed here..you'll need to analyze some graphs and understand what's happening to the population and give causes for fluctuations.

All in all, pretty easy.

Hello,

I'm planning to take Biology SL for May 09 and I was wondering if the following is correct

The core consists of Topics 1 -6 [statistical analysis, cells, the chemistry of life, genetics, ecology and evolution, human health and physiology]? This is where paper 1 draws its questions from?

The options are A - G? Which do you believe is the easiest to do well in? My teacher from last year recommended C and some other one that I can't remember now. Are we supposed to just study two of the options and that's it [for IB paper 3]? or are we supposed to focus on all 7? I feel studying an additional 5 options would be unnecessary.

Where does paper 2 draw its information from?

options wise, our school always does options D and E, which are evolution and neurobiology and behaviour. both are great to do if you're studying psychology, and both are quite easy and interesting.we only focus upon two options :D hope this helped you a little bit

I think Biology SL is one of the easiest SL science. All you gotta do is make sure you read and understand the stuff, you'll go into the exam hall feeling prepared and exit feeling even better!

Its really not that challenging if you know your stuff, and its not too content-heavy either.. :D

I was surprised when I saw the sylabus and when it didn't even involve DNA or anything like that for SL. Plus, my older friends who already took the exam claimed that they didnt even need a teacher to teach them the material; they just used textbooks and review books and looked on the sylabus. They said they 'murdered' the may 2008 exam.

Since I'm taking AP Psych and Psych II this year, I was thinking that the psychology option would definitely be easy. I'm quite good with cells, energy, respiration and photosynthesis. I think I might focus in on C and E =]

I was surprised when I saw the sylabus and when it didn't even involve DNA or anything like that for SL. Plus, my older friends who already took the exam claimed that they didnt even need a teacher to teach them the material; they just used textbooks and review books and looked on the sylabus. They said they 'murdered' the may 2008 exam.

Since I'm taking AP Psych and Psych II this year, I was thinking that the psychology option would definitely be easy. I'm quite good with cells, energy, respiration and photosynthesis. I think I might focus in on C and E =]

If you're good with cells, respiration, etc, maybe think about C. It also involves studying about proteins, DNA too, I think. You'll delve into the DNA stuff at around the Genetics topic and in the one about Cells. But if you're doing SL...you honestly can do a lot of it by yourself and not be disadvantaged. If you've ever seen past papers, they're pretty easy with a bit of study and memorisation. Biology at SL level is the best subject for non-science-y people and people who want an easy 6/7. HL is a bit different...

I was contemplating doing biology hl but since my teacher won't be here next year, my peers suggested to just stay with hl and get a 6 at sl instead of like a 3 at sl. I really hope to go to college for science and hopefully that 6 in bio sl will do something. I hope I get it! =]