Have a preference for certain OSs?

Clause

Just throwing a couple random questions out there. what operating systems do you use, and what do you like best?

On the laptop I use the most, I dualboot Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 8. I think both are just wonderful once one gets around to bending them to one's will. I had a Mac as one of my desktops at some point (probably three years ago, an oldie, running OS 9), got bored after messing around some, and sold it.

:clap: totally necessary emoticon

Oh, can't name spoilers here? =/

Anyway, as far as mobile operating systems go, I don't have much experience with anything other than Android and iOS. I've played around with iOS the most, and have several devices running different versions of the OS.

I have Mac OS10 and I really like it. It's quick, seamless, super easy to flick things around in and does everything I want.

To be honest I've only ever used Windows and the Mac OS so I can't comment on Linux, Ubuntu etc., except that I really hate Windows. As far as I'm concerned it peaked with Windows XP Professional and all subsequent versions have actually become less and less efficient to use. It seems to me like compared with the Mac, everything on Windows takes about 5 tedious steps vs one simple button press or a drag and drop. Even just getting to the desktop or reviewing your open windows takes a mountain of clicking... whereas it's a single button on my keyboard on a Mac and it works instantly.

Then again it's safe to say that I have never once 'bent Windows to my will', whatever that entails. My will and the will of Windows remain stubbornly opposed :P In every way. Perhaps my view would be different had this magical symbiosis occurred.

I have Mac OS10 and I really like it. It's quick, seamless, super easy to flick things around in and does everything I want.

To be honest I've only ever used Windows and the Mac OS so I can't comment on Linux, Ubuntu etc., except that I really hate Windows. As far as I'm concerned it peaked with Windows XP Professional and all subsequent versions have actually become less and less efficient to use. It seems to me like compared with the Mac, everything on Windows takes about 5 tedious steps vs one simple button press or a drag and drop. Even just getting to the desktop or reviewing your open windows takes a mountain of clicking... whereas it's a single button on my keyboard on a Mac and it works instantly.

Then again it's safe to say that I have never once 'bent Windows to my will', whatever that entails. My will and the will of Windows remain stubbornly opposed :P In every way. Perhaps my view would be different had this magical symbiosis occurred.

Get to desktop=start+d

Review open windows=ctrl+alt+tab

• 2 weeks later...

In my phone I'm running cyanogenMod (a modified version of android) and I absolutely love it. In my laptop I have windows 7, but I had enough from windows and I'm switching to a macbook pro w retina 13. Windows battery efficiency, constant windows updates and the way manufacturer's load up useless software is a big deal breaker for me. I also have Ubuntu 13.10 in my laptop, but I never use the brightness controls are broken for my laptop.

Edited by Ammar Ashoor

I used to have Ubuntu on my desktop and Windows 7 on my laptop. My desktop is broken and I don't feel like dual booting so I mainly use Windows at home. However, I also have a school laptop which I borrow and sometimes use at home and that computer is a Mac. If you like Ubuntu, try Linux Mint also.

I don't recommend you to buy a Macbook Air unless you really need a fragile and super lightweight computer that's really expensive. I use a brand new Macbook Pro and I don't understand the hype behind apple computers. My windows never crashed but that might be because I don't download a lot of viruses and I install necessary programs. I would say any 800$ + computer should be fine but make sure you don't get the manufacture's useless software.

I used to have Ubuntu on my desktop and Windows 7 on my laptop. My desktop is broken and I don't feel like dual booting so I mainly use Windows at home. However, I also have a school laptop which I borrow and sometimes use at home and that computer is a Mac. If you like Ubuntu, try Linux Mint also.

I don't recommend you to buy a Macbook Air unless you really need a fragile and super lightweight computer that's really expensive. I use a brand new Macbook Pro and I don't understand the hype behind apple computers. My windows never crashed but that might be because I don't download a lot of viruses and I install necessary programs. I would say any 800$ + computer should be fine but make sure you don't get the manufacture's useless software.

I would disagree though, there is no laptop as light and with the same performance as the macbook air and retina pros in windows with similar pricing. And OSX is better with battery life than windows and gets free OS updates as of november 2013.