Maintaining IB and a romantic relationship/sex life together?

Guest ryuk1

What are your opinions on this (this a serious question)? Well, sex is known to reduce stress levels and increase mental capacity which should be quite beneficial for an IB student

I didn't date anyone when I was in high school doing the IB (the choice of guys at my school was rather....abysmal), but I know lots of people who did, and the people who had stable relationships did quite well. They just learned how to do time management. Focus on work first, then visit their boyfriend/girlfriend when they weren't busy. Most of my friends would just wait until the weekend to see their boyfriend/girlfriend, and maybe once or twice during the week if they didn't have a big project going on.

From personal experience, it is also possible to have a serious romantic relationship and do well in university too. ;) Master time management, and you can do anything you'd like.

• Like 1

I didn't date anyone when I was in high school doing the IB (the choice of guys at my school was rather....abysmal), but I know lots of people who did, and the people who had stable relationships did quite well. They just learned how to do time management. Focus on work first, then visit their boyfriend/girlfriend when they weren't busy. Most of my friends would just wait until the weekend to see their boyfriend/girlfriend, and maybe once or twice during the week if they didn't have a big project going on.

From personal experience, it is also possible to have a serious romantic relationship and do well in university too. ;) Master time management, and you can do anything you'd like.

Before IB, my 2 years of high school were full of unstable relationships with messed up people and middle school was even worse ( i don't think that middle school stuff even count as relationships) Now I have a fatal combination of IB classes and this time I crushed on an overly-ambitious nerd. I do see him in school and our lesson choices are the same except he's econ HL and Bio SL (I only see him in econ through) We have a thing going on since 4 months and he told my friend today that he'll ask me out after the finals are finished next week. My grades are not that bad either ( I don't have a 5.0 GPA anymore, thanks IB but I think that 81/100 is ok for my lesson choices) I am aware of the importance of these 2 years and I understand that he wants to study (he is probably going to enter one of the Ivy's he's that good) but I agree with you that time management is the key. Maybe my question should have been "how the **** can I convince him that he can manage both at the same time?" He seemed pretty satisfied last year at the finals when his ex gave him bj's :dontgetit:

I have through of just going back to "player boys" like I used to do but I am trying to be a better person this year and I want a boyfriend with a decent personality

Edited by ryuk1

Before IB, my 2 years of high school were full of unstable relationships with messed up people and middle school was even worse ( i don't think that middle school stuff even count as relationships) Now I have a fatal combination of IB classes and this time I crushed on an overly-ambitious nerd. I do see him in school and our lesson choices are the same except he's econ HL and Bio SL (I only see him in econ through) We have a thing going on since 4 months and he told my friend today that he'll ask me out after the finals are finished next week. My grades are not that bad either ( I don't have a 5.0 GPA anymore, thanks IB but I think that 81/100 is ok for my lesson choices) I am aware of the importance of these 2 years and I understand that he wants to study (he is probably going to enter one of the Ivy's he's that good) but I agree with you that time management is the key. Maybe my question should have been "how the **** can I convince him that he can manage both at the same time?" He seemed pretty satisfied last year at the finals when his ex gave him bj's :dontgetit:

I have through of just going back to "player boys" like I used to do but I am trying to be a better person this year and I want a boyfriend with a decent personality

I don't know if you can convince someone to have a relationship with you if they seem more focused on grades/getting into uni, but you can try. I wish you all the best though and hope it works out for you :)

• 2 months later...

pfttt ohh yeaaaa. i party every weekend.. go on dates.. and hangout with friends all the time. you just gotta make time for both! its simple! I'm doing well in all my classes don't sweat it.. if it happens it happens and IB can't get in the way of love (; ahahahah or sex .. what the body wants it finds a way to get if its important enough to you

• 2 months later...

I've had my first ever boyfriend this year (IB1) and that has worked out splendidly. Maybe that is somewhat due to him being in IB2 and being even more busy than me, but whatever. I think that the things that has been mentioned above here are true though. You need to prioritise. Most of the time you will need to put that IA first and then see afterwards if you have time to see your significant other. That is, of course, unless you are dating someone in the year above you of IB that can tutor you and help you with your IAs when you need it, like I did. Overall, it worked very well.

No. You want to have a good relationship and also do well in school (IB)? Then cut the drama. Keep it simple. Just go out with who you find attractive, have fun and stay safe. You don't have to categorize your potential boyfriends as "playboys" or "decent", and then only go out with members from one of those groups.

Fortunately (unfortunately for some), lack of teenage drama is one of the essential ingredients for success in the IB. As my boyfriend says (in the absolute un-coolest way possible):

"Ain't nobody got time for that"

• Like 1

Its all about managing time. i had a tough time with this as I met my guy in my IB school and it was hard to connect with your bf while needing to do well in school as well. But I think that it is definitely possible and you shouldn't have to compromise just for the sake o the IB. Do well, study, put the time in, and date who you want at the same time, I can be done :)

So I've been with my boyfriend since the last few months of pre-IB and honestly its not hard if you both have the same priorities. Meaning that we both care a lot about school and wanted (I suppose it should still be in present tense but oh well :D) to do well while having time to be together AND have time alone (which is extremely important!!!). So for us managing time was relatively simple. I think you just have to make it clear to the other person what your study habits are and how you work best. Also, I think if you are dating someone who is also doing the IB can be a very good thing as you not only have someone you can vent to but someone who can help you with school work (IAs etc.).

That being said, one of the downsides of dating someone who is in IB is rivalry (I think that's the right word :D)... Unfortunately that was quite a problem for us for a while but we worked through it! You just have to remember both of you are trying to do your best and that there really is no point in trying to be better than your SO. Its better to try to help each other as much as possible (within reason ofc...) because that way its better for you and your relationship!

But yeah try to avoid drama... That's never good to have in any relationship imo

Edited by Erasmusrasmus

I would say do it for the experience. If you are dating in high school don't expect to remain with him/her for the rest of your life. Many people will go off to different colleges, and things just fall apart. That being said, it is great to get the experience of dating while you are still in high school ^^

• 4 months later...

I'm propably going to politely refuse any boy who is crazy enough to ask me out lol :D because I came to (Pre)-IB to devote to studying and that's what I'm going to do. Emotional attractions could possibly interrupt my studying :( well, that's not really a problem because any boys don't approach me any way but as friends :D