YOGA for cas

ygw

Hey everyone!is it possible to do yoga for action or creativity?has anyone done it for cas? :S

my friends and i have been trying to convince my teacher to allow us to do it.If you have any ideas that i can use to convince her,please feel free to share it with me!

THANKS A LOT!

Edited by ygw

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya!

I would love to do yoga too for Action (a part of CAS I am seriously lacking!)

But does anyone know any particular website where I can find something like a list of activities that are 'allowed'??? or suggested???

Thankyou !

Hiya!

I would love to do yoga too for Action (a part of CAS I am seriously lacking!)

But does anyone know any particular website where I can find something like a list of activities that are 'allowed'??? or suggested???

Thankyou !

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This aspect of CAS is interpreted as imaginatively as possible to cover a wide range of

arts and other activities outside the normal curriculum which include creative thinking

in the design and carrying out of service projects. (See “Examples of Good Practice”.)

This could involve doing dance, theatre, music and art, for example. Students should

be engaged in group activities, and especially in new roles, wherever possible.

Nevertheless, individual commitment to learning an art form is allowed, where it

respects the requirements for all CAS activities: that goals are set and the student

reflects on progress.

If yoga is considered an art form, then yes, it would count for creativity. Pretty sure it would count as action too.

I don't know about any other schools but our school is (unfortunately) extremely STRICT about CAS!

Apparently we can't just do yoga or take art classes outside school, we must do it within the school grounds...

That's silly. It is to make sure students don't forge activities? My CAS mentor said it was best to have activities in the school, outside of school that were local, and activities that were international (i.e. World Vision, Red Cross, etc). I think there's more personal development that way since you get to work with different groups of people with different backgrounds and experience.

My school isn't very strict on CAS. Half the time it's way past the deadline when the majority of people turn them in. Even then some people lie about what they did and/or forge/fabricate signatures.

I get 50/75 hours through my marching band. I guess that shows how lax'ed it is. Plus the other 25 I get done the summer before school starts in this program I'm in so I don't even have to worry about CAS outside of band which is guaranteed.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I have a friend doing Power Yoga for CAS, and I have been to one of those sessions, and it is really challenging physically, so I think there are no disputes in our school that Power Yoga = Action hours. But I dunno whether other types of yoga are accepted in our school as Action.

Talking to the CAS coordinator is the best thing to do when in doubt.

I would say that yoga counts as either Creativity or Action. I have Pilates and Yoga both down for action. Unfortunately, my school is introducing stupid rules about not being able to count anything you do over the summer as CAS. Which sucks for this year's IB1 people who tried to get CAS out of the way during the summer.

Also, forgery used to be common here. There was classmates giving each other "language lessons" and "coaching basketball". They had it easy 2 years ago.

I think maybe you should get some statistics online for how many calories yoga burns, if you wanna get it down for Action. For Creativity, it's like dance and dance is definitely creative. Although if you are just following someone else's lead in class, it might only be Action.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, our CAS coordinator also accepts yoga for action. He even organizes it. Too bad I never went there, because I don't really like the coordinator. Now I would really need some action hours.

bit off topic. but if you can do yoga for action... what else is acceptable? just so i know what i can get away with <3

Hmm, what else? We once did a Thai massage course, if I remember correctly. But it was organized by the school as well. You could also take dance lessons...they can count either as creativity or action.

I do yoga for action. It works your muscles and makes you more flexible. I do it because it helps my back as well since apparently my spine has a problem.. <_<

but yeah it should definitely count for action... but again some cas coordinators can be very picky :dash: i'm sure if you explain how it works your muscles and stuff your cas coordinator would understand