maths SL or maths studies SL

guns 'n' roses

I checked the universities websites (I assumed this was undergraduate study?) and they both seemed to require Maths at SL or higher. This was the site I found on Melbourne: http://coursesearch.unimelb.edu.au/pathways/4-engineering

and this the one on Monash: http://www.monash.edu.au/study/coursefinder/course/0032/international-requirements.html?courseview=international

Seeing as I wasn't entirely sure what course you wanted to study, you should check out the links for yourself :) But I agree with ctrls, you should email the universities and ask! Although I would recommend SL, even if it's not required. Hope it helped! :P

• Like 1

I checked the universities websites (I assumed this was undergraduate study?) and they both seemed to require Maths at SL or higher. This was

Also I think its worth noting that at Monash, you need a level 4 in maths; chem or physics; AND English A (or 3 for the subjects at HL)

At Uni of melb you need a 4 in Maths; bio, chem OR Physics; and English (at both SL and HL)

Even if you don't want to contact the you can get most of this off their websites

• 2 months later...

Do maths SL, because engineering is very mathematical and maths sl will definitely help in the long run! Also, you don't have to take the teacher's word as the 'be all and end all', I suggest you try maths sl, see how it goes for a few terms and then change to maths studies if it gets too hard. keep in mind that maths sl is sort of equivalent to doing VCE maths methods 3/4.

To be perfectly honest if you're planning on doing engineering you should have SL math at minimum, and if you're struggling at the SL level you will not do well in math at the university level which goes beyond HL math in some aspects. Try SL first and see how you do, but if you're struggling at SL, you might want to reconsider engineering. You can still maybe get by, but it's going to be very hard.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Does Melbourne/Monash university allow students to take maths studies SL as an option for engineering courses, over maths SL. I'm a little confused as my teacher said I may not be able to cope with mathematics SL, so I really needed help!

Any comments appreciated.

Thank you!

i think u need to take maths SL cause u wont get adminission in uni if u do Maths Studies causes engineering uni need Maths HL but i think u should do Maths SL.....

Does Melbourne/Monash university allow students to take maths studies SL as an option for engineering courses, over maths SL. I'm a little confused as my teacher said I may not be able to cope with mathematics SL, so I really needed help!

Any comments appreciated.

Thank you!

Universities in general require Maths at HL.. but if you can't do that then Maths SL would probably be fine too. Certainly not Maths Studies though. I'm in IB Year 2, so if you need anything just PM me! Good luck.

No matter if you want to take engineering or theater, I would highly recommend you not to take Math studies. It is really a joke of a subject to be frank. Math SL is really nothing to be afraid about and I think you should not be finding it tough as such. If you really can't keep up with Math SL, then engineering may not be the right career choice for you.

Hey! Engineering is based on mathematics and the level of maths is quite advanced, so even if universities don't ask for it, I don't think you will be able to cope up with engineering if you don't know a lot of math. I honestly think that if engineering is your true passion, you should go for maths sl or higher, it's worth the effort. 

• 3 weeks later...

Basically, for engineering you need to have at least Math SL. A lot of Unis require HL (I recently heard Singapore and Hong Kong do to). Math Studies is, to be honest, the quitters math SL. I take Math SL, and I can vouch it is not too hard, provided you study regularly, but thats true of all subjects. I would also suggest that you take SL, because its easy to down grade your subject choices once you start, but its hard to upgrade them. I also recommend that you think about your reasons for wanting to take engineering, if you don't like math, because engineering requires a lot of math (from what I've heard). Are you taking it because your parents did it, or your friends or someone is taking it? If thats the case, please don't do it. You will waste your time because you wont learn a lot because you dont enjoy it, and then its just a downward crash.

Think about it.

Hope I helped

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Tbh I don't think any 'good' universities allow you to do engineering with maths studies, as engineering is a VERY mathsy subject. Some universities even have prerequisites of maths HL (especially if you're doing masters). It's hard to cope in engineering without maths SL at the bare minimum

Edited by vladimir mykraine

Tbh I don't think any 'good' universities allow you to do engineering with maths studies, as engineering is a VERY mathsy subject. Some universities even have prerequisites of maths HL (especially if you're doing masters). It's hard to cope in engineering without maths SL at the bare minimum

This thread is from two years ago. Please do not revive old threads.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...