How hard is Physics HL?

guns 'n' roses

Physics HL is very hard. (Physics might be easy for some though). Physics majority questions are usually problems and hence mathematics is involved. Also you have to derive many formulas, which might be confusing and irritating and it also takes a lot of time to understand the problems. If you are going for engineering Physics is a must otherwise easiest of science is Bio.

• Like 1

I don't think that a lot of background knowledge is needed. At least in my school we were starting from the very basic things, like F=m*a, or v=s/t... A lot depends on a teacher, I guess. You don't need a lot of maths knowledge, too, because calculations are not so difficult. But despite of that I still find Physics HL challenging. It is very important to fully understand everything and don't have backlog. Better prepare yourself for many theoretical questions... For me the best way to learn Physics was to do past papers. You just need to get used to specific types of questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Graduated IB this summer with a 7 in physics HL and A in physics EE, so I guess my view can be interesting. I did not plan to write anything, but as I see some are saying it is a lot harder than I felt it was, I thought you would like to hear it is not so bad after all.

Physics HL is not very hard, and math SL is more than you need to complete the course as I experienced it. You should however be comfortable with maths (algebra), as that is the tool you use in physics. You will come across some tiny amount of trigonometry and vectors, but it should be of no problem, given you feel you are doing ok+ in maths. What makes physics HL difficult to some is that there is a lot to learn. You have to be familiar with, and know when to apply each formula. You do not have to know them by heart, and working with the subject regularly should be enough. If you feel you are able to think logically and understand abstract concepts, that should also bring you a long way. Physics is mainly about putting information you are given into fomulas, or combining severall formulas to get an answer. It's like juggeling two balls: x and y in the equation, when you've found your way from x to y, you start finding your way from y to z, and that is sort of the "trick". Think of what is conserved, and what from laws and "intuition" MUST happen next from what you've learned. Some in my class struggeled a bit with how to start solving a question. The theory is easy enough, the application in questions is a little bit trickier. It is a little different from what you are used to, but it is the subject I've felt has been the most rewarding during 13 years in school. I must also stress that I had an amazing teacher, and the teacher is important when it comes to physics and how it is experienced.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Physics HL is very hard. (Physics might be easy for some though). Physics majority questions are usually problems and hence mathematics is involved. Also you have to derive many formulas, which might be confusing and irritating and it also takes a lot of time to understand the problems. If you are going for engineering Physics is a must otherwise easiest of science is Bio.

But if u doing something like Chemical or Biochemical engineering, I dont think physics is required and especially at hl.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/14/2020 at 6:36 PM, Abhinav2703 said:

Hi guys, 

Since I am mathematically minded, I am unsure of what science HL is good for me. I am in a conflict between choosing Physics or Chemistry HL. Which one forms a better combo with Math HL???

What did you end up taking?