Video Games for CAS?

Conversation with my friend:

Him: Would some kind of video game count as creative?
Me:Look it up. I doubt it.
Him: What seriously? That's dumb, video games can be really creative
Me: Yes, the VIDEO game is creative, not you when you're playing it. Whoever made the game could have qualified for the hours, but not you. It's not that dumb
Him: Lol seriously though, you can create many things in video games. Depending on the game. Some are just applications that you can use as your own sandbox.

Help me settle this argument? Cause frankly I'm not sure anymore, but still leaning towards it not qualifying.

• Like 3

I don't think video game will come under CAS. Ask your friend what learning outcomes do get get by playing video games? Also you need to get signature from supervisor of the particular activity, which is likely to be not there for video games.

I think it is anyways a good excuse to play games officially if its is approved by CAS :)

Edited by akash jishnu

I don't think video game will come under CAS. Ask your friend what learning outcomes do get get by playing video games? Also you need to get signature from supervisor of the particular activity, which is likely to be not there for video games.

I think it is anyways a good excuse to play games officially if its is approved by CAS :)

Oh that's right you do need a supervisor's signature don't you, I forgot! Hah, like anyone's parents would sign that off. Even if they would, I suppose you would need to write a pretty persuasive write-up for the positive things you get out of it. Thanks for your response.

• Like 1

Conversation with my friend:

Him: Would some kind of video game count as creative?

Me:Look it up. I doubt it.

Him: What seriously? That's dumb, video games can be really creative

Me: Yes, the VIDEO game is creative, not you when you're playing it. Whoever made the game could have qualified for the hours, but not you. It's not that dumb

Him: Lol seriously though, you can create many things in video games. Depending on the game. Some are just applications that you can use as your own sandbox.

Help me settle this argument? Cause frankly I'm not sure anymore, but still leaning towards it not qualifying.

This is a very funny conversation, perhaps inadvertently so. :) Fairly sure it wouldn't count for CAS though. However, it ultimately comes down to the CAS co-ordinator, who will assess whether you can actually achieve any 'learning outcomes' or get a 'supervisor' for this. Even if your CAS co-ordinator does accept video games, there's a chance that the IB might come and audit your school and frown upon the dodgy nature of using video games as creativity.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bumping upon this old thread to shed some light to all you gamers out there. I'm currently being granted service hours for playing video games, more specifically World of Warcraft. How was this done? Well I'm certain not everyone will find it as easy as me to motivate your CAS Coordinator to approve of something like this however I'll explain my situation briefly.

The idea itself of being granted any type of CAS hours for playing games seems absurb to a lot of people at first however if you are able to properly motivate why this is a desire of yours, and obviously linking it to the learning outcomes you should rather easily see your desire come through.

Personally I am one of the leader of an in-game ''collaboration'' composed of more than 20 players who systematically meet up every weekend to face new challenges, work out detailed strategies and complete these without flaws. These were the main points i revolved around when trying to persuade the coordinator, I obviously included more information and linked the experiences to more learning outcomes but I'm not going to bring all that up.

I should however also mention that we do have a running website and a stream maintaining roughly 250 viewers every gaming session but all that was more or less un interesting to the coordinator, just try to motivate 'why?' properly and you should be able to be granted CAS for playing games!

• Like 1

Can you imagine how someone would justify some games though?

"Yes, I play The Sims 3 and I feel this should qualify under creativity because... I come up ...with creative ways to kill my sims... It teaches me how to... uh... be god."

My friend created me as a Sims character and made me a husband but initially my husband wouldn't marry me, instead he fell in love with one of her other male characters that she named Wadsworth, so she put Wadsworth in a house and burned it down and now I'm married in the Sims. She got no CAS hours for doing this unfortunately, but I think if she told our CAS coordinator she'd be sent for evaluation.

Can you imagine how someone would justify some games though?

"Yes, I play The Sims 3 and I feel this should qualify under creativity because... I come up ...with creative ways to kill my sims... It teaches me how to... uh... be god."

My friend created me as a Sims character and made me a husband but initially my husband wouldn't marry me, instead he fell in love with one of her other male characters that she named Wadsworth, so she put Wadsworth in a house and burned it down and now I'm married in the Sims. She got no CAS hours for doing this unfortunately, but I think if she told our CAS coordinator she'd be sent for evaluation.

My CAS supervisor agrees! Also thanks for the laugh, that's insanely funny!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My school has minecraft as a CAS and the students are trying to start a LOL CAS right now

My school has a ridiculous minecraft club. But I don't think it is justified to count it as CAS. It goes against the objectives of CAS. You don't really work in a group when playing video games (at least not in the same way at least as you might do in some sports or debate team) and also it's not really a new activity you tried to get out of your comfort zone. Plus it's not something that looks good on your college applications.

But anyways that's just my opinions.