Is my research question narrow enough?

Anjali

Hi,

I have decided to do my EE in visual arts and as I am really interested in architecture i wanted to something about art museums and their significance.

I have thought of two research questions so far both are related but one is more specific. i was wondering if it was too specific or too broad. Please help.

1) To what extent is the architecture of an art museum significant?

2) To what extent has the architecture of the Singapore ArtScience Museum been a success?

I will be talking also about art museums with highly dominating architectural designs which interfere or upstage the displays such as the Hamilton Building, Denver art museum.

Please give me all the advice and thoughts you have they are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I don't actually know much about visual arts, and my EE is on Human Rights, but it's always best to narrow your question as much as possible.

1.) To what extent is the architecture of an art museum significant?

What do you mean by significant? Visually? In regards to meaning?

2.) To what extent has the architecture of the Singapore ArtScience Museum been a success?

You were right in narrowing down your question to a specific museum here, but you could still narrow it down to a specific kind of success. Is success measured in terms of popularity? Finance? The pieces on display inside?

(Even if you don't narrow this one further, I think it's still pretty good).

• Like 1

HI,

I was actually considering the elements of the museum that make it significant aesthetically mainly visually . I was talking with regards to how some architects believe that the museum by itself should be an art work which can compete with the exhibits but this cant be beneficial to all types of art works and sometimes interfere or upstage the works.

The main issue I am facing is the architecture of the Singapore ArtScience museum neither upstages nor interferes with the exhibits, the architecture of the building is not visible from within the gallerias, and the few dramatic sloping and curved walls serve no purpose whatsoever.

So if i talk about how successful it has been can I talk about other Museums from different countries who have have dramatic architecture but unlike the ArtScience museum interferes with the exhibits or would i be straying off topic??

P.S Thanks for clarifying the earlier question.