Biology Design Lab(ASAP)

hk213

Hi i'm currently doing grade 11 bio in SL and my teacher finally gave me a design lab today and i'm supposed to finish the outline in 2 days.

The problem is: search for the relationship between two variables to determine their effect on the cardio-vascular for breathing systems. (ex. age affecting heart rate)

I was thinking of heartbeat or breathing but i don't know how to approach further from here...

Can anyone give me some good topics that has to do with either heartbeat or breathing???? ;)

Remember doing an experiment about that in my junior year.. "The Effect of Various Factors on the Pulse Rate".

Basically, this is an experiment to measure one's fitness, by studying the cardiac frequency (number of heartbeats per minute) through the pulse rate. To do this experiment, you need to work in pairs; you'd be the 'experimenter' and the other one would be the 'experiment' :) . To measure the pulse rate, count the number of beats per 15 seconds and multiply that by 4 (per minute) - or whichever way possible - by placing your hand on the radial artery (nearer to the wrist, you know, the one doctors use to measure the heart beats? ;) ).

You need a 45 cm high (or whatever is high enough), watch, field for 100 meter sprint and camera (optional).

Time for whole experiment: Max 35 minutes.

There are many experiments to be done:

[u]1- Effect of Posture on the Pulse Rate:[/u]
- Let the experiment lie down for five minutes after which you must take the pulse rate ('reclining' pulse). Let the experiment than stand for five minutes, afterwhich take the pulse rate ('standing' pulse). Measure both rates per minute and record them, as well as any differences you see. Why is there a difference? :P

[u]2- Effect of Hyperventilation on Pulse Rate:[/u]
- You must take continuous readings for about 7 minutes. For each reading, count the number of beats per 15 seconds and multiply that by 4 (per minute).
- For 2 minutes: let the 'experiment' relax for two minutes, DURING which take the pulse and record it.
- For 30 seconds: the 'experiment' must engage in forced breathing; breathe as deeply and frequently as possible, but with minimum muscular effort to the body.
- For 5 minutes: record pulse every 15 seconds for 5 minutes, during which the 'experiment' is relaxed again.
- Explain the changes in readings. :D

[u]3- Effect of Exercize on Pulse Rate:[/u]
- The 'experiment' must engage in a standard bout of exercize; step onto a stool (e.g. 45 cms high) and then down again, once every three seconds for a total of 15 seconds (thus 5 times!).
- Measure the pulse IMMEDIATELY at TEN seconds intervals until it returns back to the normal STANDING RATE (above). Graph this info (y-axis: pulse rate, x-axis: time).
- Repeat with a heavier bout of exercize; e.g. perform a 100 metre sprint. Graph as before and compare both of them. Differences?? :)

That's it. Hope it helps! :)

[quote name='BIO-AQUA' post='17384' date='May 28 2008, 10:37 AM']Remember doing an experiment about that in my junior year.. "The Effect of Various Factors on the Pulse Rate".

Basically, this is an experiment to measure one's fitness, by studying the cardiac frequency (number of heartbeats per minute) through the pulse rate. To do this experiment, you need to work in pairs; you'd be the 'experimenter' and the other one would be the 'experiment' :D . To measure the pulse rate, count the number of beats per 15 seconds and multiply that by 4 (per minute) - or whichever way possible - by placing your hand on the radial artery (nearer to the wrist, you know, the one doctors use to measure the heart beats? ;) ).

You need a 45 cm high (or whatever is high enough), watch, field for 100 meter sprint and camera (optional).

Time for whole experiment: Max 35 minutes.

There are many experiments to be done:

[u]1- Effect of Posture on the Pulse Rate:[/u]
- Let the experiment lie down for five minutes after which you must take the pulse rate ('reclining' pulse). Let the experiment than stand for five minutes, afterwhich take the pulse rate ('standing' pulse). Measure both rates per minute and record them, as well as any differences you see. Why is there a difference? :P

[u]2- Effect of Hyperventilation on Pulse Rate:[/u]
- You must take continuous readings for about 7 minutes. For each reading, count the number of beats per 15 seconds and multiply that by 4 (per minute).
- For 2 minutes: let the 'experiment' relax for two minutes, DURING which take the pulse and record it.
- For 30 seconds: the 'experiment' must engage in forced breathing; breathe as deeply and frequently as possible, but with minimum muscular effort to the body.
- For 5 minutes: record pulse every 15 seconds for 5 minutes, during which the 'experiment' is relaxed again.
- Explain the changes in readings. :)

[u]3- Effect of Exercize on Pulse Rate:[/u]
- The 'experiment' must engage in a standard bout of exercize; step onto a stool (e.g. 45 cms high) and then down again, once every three seconds for a total of 15 seconds (thus 5 times!).
- Measure the pulse IMMEDIATELY at TEN seconds intervals until it returns back to the normal STANDING RATE (above). Graph this info (y-axis: pulse rate, x-axis: time).
- Repeat with a heavier bout of exercize; e.g. perform a 100 metre sprint. Graph as before and compare both of them. Differences?? :)

That's it. Hope it helps! :) [/quote]

Thank you very much. I just have one more question.

If you decide to go with the rate of heart in relation to excerise, could your x and y variables be the intensity of exercise(x) and the heart rate(y)

and could you explain why time is the independent variable???

thank you again~

Edited by hk213

[quote name='hk213' post='17416' date='May 29 2008, 04:06 AM']If you decide to go with the rate of heart in relation to excerise, could your x and y variables be the intensity of exercise(x) and the heart rate(y)[/quote]

I guess it might work, I mean why not? But can you do that? Would it be possible an in what way(s)? Besides, how are you going to measure the intensity of exercize? If you can, then go ahead. But make sure you plot the graph mentioned above, as you'll see eventually why it's important. :D

[quote]and could you explain why time is the independent variable???[/quote]

Well basically because you want to measure the fluctuation of heart rate with respect to time; how long will it take for the heart rate to return to normal and what does this tell us about the person's fitness?!

You can answer your own questions after doing the whole experiment. Trust me, I had your same questions back then, but it all became clearer once the experiment was done. You'll eventually plot your own graphs and see the differences. Be creative! ;)

Hope this helps. Have a nice day. :P

[quote name='BIO-AQUA' post='17444' date='May 29 2008, 11:33 AM']I guess it might work, I mean why not? But can you do that? Would it be possible an in what way(s)? Besides, how are you going to measure the intensity of exercize? If you can, then go ahead. But make sure you plot the graph mentioned above, as you'll see eventually why it's important. :P

Well basically because you want to measure the fluctuation of heart rate with respect to time; how long will it take for the heart rate to return to normal and what does this tell us about the person's fitness?!

You can answer your own questions after doing the whole experiment. Trust me, I had your same questions back then, but it all became clearer once the experiment was done. You'll eventually plot your own graphs and see the differences. Be creative! ;)

Hope this helps. Have a nice day. :D [/quote]

Thank you again with your help! it was really helpful.

But unfortunately, i have to test the relationship between oxygen and heartbeat.

I'm going to get a paper bag and let the subject breath in it for a certain amount of time and comepare them.

And I was wondering if you know what the independent and dependent variable could be for this experiment and how the oxygen dificiency

results in the heart acting in a certain way...

Thank you Again

Edited by hk213

[quote name='hk213' post='17461' date='May 29 2008, 10:27 PM']But unfortunately, i have to test the relationship between oxygen and heartbeat.

[b]I'm going to get a paper bag and let the subject breath in it for a certain amount of time and comepare them.[/b]

And I was wondering if you know what the independent and dependent variable could be for this experiment and how the oxygen dificiency

results in the heart acting in a certain way...[/quote]

Are you sure that's the correct way of doing the experiment? How will you measure the amount of Oxygen or control the gas concentration?
But anyways, I guess that the dependant variable would be the heartbeats/min. or heart rate in the experiments. Independant variable might be the oxygen concentration? <-- Is this the variable you kept changing in your experiment? If it is, then yes.