Free time in IB

fcb1013

I'm starting the IB soon, so I'd like to know the following:

1) Do you find that you have spare time for sports teams/activities or time for other hobbies?

2) Realistically is there a chance that I would be able to attend classes to learn another language on a weekly basis (outside of school) on top of IB work?

3) How much time do you devote to studying per day/week usually?

4) Do you find that you manage to study for the likes of the SAT, subject tests on top of school work?

• Like 1

1) Hmm well I personally don't do any sports. But based on how I manage my time I think if I wanted to I'd definitively have time, the thing is that you have to have time for "relaxing" too- you can't be on (so to speak) the whole time! So if sports help you relax and you'd rather do that than watch TV then I think that you'd definitively have time for them! If that made any sense...

2) Nope. IB has so much extra work you have to do at home that I think learning something extra would be pretty hard. I know some people in my class are writing Swedish in their spare time (they take extra national side courses)! From what I can see they're managing fairly well, but I still wouldn't recommend taking extra stuff- I know I couldn't handle it. In the end it depends on how you manage your time and how well you do it.
3) About two hours a week- I'm pretty lazy and procrastinate until test week (we have one every 2.5 months-five test weeks a school year) but the week before test week I'm basically studying all day everyday! It works for my studying style :)
4) Because of the test week system here in Finland, I don't have any difficulties studying for tests (as long as I stick to my study plan) since we don't have any classes or extra work during that week! I'm not planning on going to study in the US, so I'm not taking the SATs!

• Like 2

1) Do you find that you have spare time for sports teams/activities or time for other hobbies?

2) Realistically is there a chance that I would be able to attend classes to learn another language on a weekly basis (outside of school) on top of IB work?

4) Do you find that you manage to study for the likes of the SAT, subject tests on top of school work?

1. To be fair, you'll have to find time for these, as you'll have to complete CAS. In IB1, I did Zumba at least twice a week, sometimes went to the gym as well. I also attended MUN and EYP and took part in an English Olympiad in my country.

2. I did that for most of my IB journey (the whole of IB1 and the first semester of IB2), I had lessons twice a week, 1.5h each. Managable if you are willing to put some work into it. I still do extra English once a week, though at this point I do it in the form of conversations, not lessons per se.

3. It heavily depends on your subject combination and the way you study, your individual predispositions, how long you can focus on something etc.

4. Never had to do it, so can't comment on it.

To be honest, IB turns really hard towards the exams and deadlines for IAs and stuff. Other than that, it's managable, though I wouldn't say it's easy and chilled out. ;) Time-consuming should be the word for it.

• Like 1

1) Well, to complete the IB you will need to do CAS, and joining sports teams counts as Action. So you can join a team and it wouldn't interfere with your studies.

2) Yes. It might take more hard work and probably you'll have less free time, so it's something to think about. But I know a lot of people who take extra classes and still do well in school.

3) Probably about 1.5h/day, more if there's a test coming up. Although with the amount of work that I'm receiving right now, I might have to put even more time into it.

4) I don't plan on going to US, so I don't really know.

Good luck on your IB!

As others have pointed out - extracurricular activities are a must, as you have to do CAS. It won't be too much of a bother the first year, as you'll have enough time (given that your school structures the IB course somewhat similar to my school). It will get a bit more tricky the second year, however. I have been too occupied with school the last two semesters to really do a lot. I've participated in three MUN conferences throughout the last year, but that's just about it.

I would say so, in particular the first year, but if you manage your time properly, taking classes during the last year won't be too much of a trouble either. You'll have fewer breaks from school-related work, though, and should focus on the exams in April and May.

Not much, perhaps 1 hour a day, sometimes nothing, sometimes a lot more. During the worst periods, I worked during all the spare time I could find, but that's partly because I'm a procrastinator and I did not manage my time properly. Shame on me!

I have never studied for any university tests, as I am going to study in the UK. However, writing the personal statement and all for the UK and Canadian applications were not a problem at all. I know that the ones studying for SAT in my class did have some issues with the time, but that's most likely because we were in a IA-heavy period when the SAT tests were held. I would check when the SAT tests are held in France compared to your IB internal calendar when you start at IB. That would help you plan properly, and avoid the worst stress.

Edited by alefal

In IB1 I played a sport every term. I coped pretty well :) In IB2, I didn't play a sport for the first term, but I plan to play it in the following 2 terms :) I was involved in quite a few activities in IB1 - but this is a must anyway because you need to have CAS hours as the above have said :)

It might be a bit difficult to do this especially since you are learning/continuing a language within the IB - if you are confident that you can manage the time well and this extra language will be incredibly useful, then by all means go ahead.

Depends on the subject, but generally quite a bit - especially when exams are nearing.

Well I'm not undertaking the SATs so I wouldn't know about that. But I think it is important to study for subject tests because it is just extra practice to consolidate your understanding :)

1. I'm not a sporty person, but I am forced to do some physical activity for CAS, because obviously the IBO is so concerned about their student's physical wellbeing :) I have time to do other extra-curricular things like debating, but not that much time really. But that might be because I'm not a very organised person, nor do I like to be busy. Other people seem to be able to cope with being far more committed than me.

2. You should be able to. Depends how much time you want to put into the language, I guess!

3. Don't know. It seems my whole life comprises of attempting to study, with procrastination liberally interspersed in this huge block of time. So really, I don't have an answer.

4. Don't mention SATs to me. Planning to take them soon, but I haven't applied nor have I started studying! I guess the best advice would be to try and get SATs and other standardised tests out of the way in IB1, to avoid them piling up in your final year of IB. But the good thing is that if you do subject tests in subjects you take in IB, this means you sort of mutually study for both courses. But this isn't really true for something like Latin for example, where the SAT subject test looks nothing like the IB Exam - but it is still useful.

1) Yeah, I generally have lots of time for other activities and you can have as well if you manage your time wisely. I don't normally count everything I do as CAS because in my school, they don't count the hours, the only requirement is to do 1 action, 1 service and 1 creativity every week. As my name suggests, I'm really into sport and seriously you DONT HAVE TO GIVE UP everything if you do the IB. I have 3 MUN conferences every year, I watch 12-13 hours of cricket every week and do like 8 CCAs (cas acitivities) and I am surviving quite well in fact. Just remember to devote your time wisely to the different things you want to do. I make a list of all the things i have to finish before 11:30pm and i make sure that i do those.

2) Of course, like I said, allocate your free time wisely. You'll be able to fit in those language lessons.

3) 5:00-11:30 (with lots of 20 min breaks in between). However, I generally also have skype and/or other distracting things in the background. I study as per required, sometimes more or sometimes yet but these times are my boundaries.

4) I don't plan to study in the US but coz many people do do SATs, i think it is possible to balance it out

ENJOY THE IB, IT SERIOUSLY WON'T BE SO BAD :)

• Like 1

1. Yup, I'm still attending my sports training.

2. Yes. I've been taking 4 or 5 coursera courses on top of school, and I've completed all of them.

3. I only study nearing exams. When there are no exams, I spend time doing IA and EE mainly. If you're an efficient worker, it doesn't take long to finish IA.

4. I took the SAT during holidays, and only really spent 2 weeks studying for it, so I'm not sure what to say for this. I didn't do quite well as I wanted to, but it's not too bad either, well within the middle 50% for HYPSMC. I'll be retaking it, and been studying for it. For SAT I, I've been spending about 20 minutes on critical reading each day. So it's not too bad because you don't need to spend hours and hours on it in one go, but then CR is the only one I need to improve.

1) Yeah, I generally have lots of time for other activities and you can have as well if you manage your time wisely. I don't normally count everything I do as CAS because in my school, they don't count the hours, the only requirement is to do 1 action, 1 service and 1 creativity every week. As my name suggests, I'm really into sport and seriously you DONT HAVE TO GIVE UP everything if you do the IB. I have 3 MUN conferences every year, I watch 12-13 hours of cricket every week and do like 8 CCAs (cas acitivities) and I am surviving quite well in fact. Just remember to devote your time wisely to the different things you want to do. I make a list of all the things i have to finish before 11:30pm and i make sure that i do those.

2) Of course, like I said, allocate your free time wisely. You'll be able to fit in those language lessons.

3) 5:00-11:30 (with lots of 20 min breaks in between). However, I generally also have skype and/or other distracting things in the background. I study as per required, sometimes more or sometimes yet but these times are my boundaries.

4) I don't plan to study in the US but coz many people do do SATs, i think it is possible to balance it out

Great comments. I'm actually quite surprised at how positive these comments have generally been. I imagined IB to be endless nights of studying with no time for other activities, but I guess this is not the case. I do want to maintain playing sports for school and a local team, the only downside to this is that I'd usually get quite tired after sports so it'd be difficult to stay awake and motivaed to work.

Great comments. I'm actually quite surprised at how positive these comments have generally been. I imagined IB to be endless nights of studying with no time for other activities, but I guess this is not the case. I do want to maintain playing sports for school and a local team, the only downside to this is that I'd usually get quite tired after sports so it'd be difficult to stay awake and motivaed to work.

Once you start, you'll realise (maybe after the first few weeks) that everything if manageable. The homework will motivate you =)

btw, most people on this forum love ib so don't be so surprised :D

Edited by cricketcrazynerd

1) Personally, I don't do any sports except for CAS. I find that I have loads of time for other hobbies, however. The workload is definitely manageable. There will probably be a week every now and then where you're very busy, but then there are weeks where you don't do as much (that's how it is at my school, at least).

2) Of course! There is more than enough time for you to learn another language outside the IB. In the last six months of your diploma, you might want to reconsider due to the exams, but I don't really see a problem with this.

3) We usually don't get that much homework, but we have a lot of small assignments throughout the week. If I get home from school at 2 pm, and spend around 2 hours studying, it's 4 pm and I'm done for the day. Considering the fact that the IB doesn't give you that many lessons per week (On Wednesdays I only have school for 1.5 hours), I find the workload after school easy to manage.

4) I don't really know much about the SAT since I'm not planning on studying in the US.

If you want some advice: go for it. I was also extremely uncertain about whether to choose the IB specifically because of the workload.

I know the exams will be tough, but as for now the work isn't that bad (I'm at the end of my first year).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

1. There are people in IB at my school that are on the sports teams and they're still doing well so I would say that you probably could find time for these. And like everyone else mentioned, there's CAS so you will be making room for it.

2. I'm studying Chinese out of school, taking lessons once a week. It's managable because I don't get much homework. My teacher is lenient becaus he knows I have other work to do.

3. 3-4 hours a week on revision, not including homework

4. Most IB kids took prep classes the summer before to get most of it out of the way. Some people chose to self review during the school year and others are still taking classes. It's definitely managable. For subject tests, the stuff you learn in your IB course will cover most of the material anyway so there's almost no need for extra studying. My suggestion would be review over summer before IB1 and then take the SAT during IB1 and subject tests at the end of IB1.

IB is hard, but it's not absolutely impossible. It pushed me to join 7 clubs, of which I am one of the leaders in 3 of them. I also have time to play badminton and is considering to take tennis. I also play too much violin (I say 4hrs per week, but it's more like 7hrs per week)

I would say that effective time management is the key to everything. I often have time to watch animes, facebooking, chatting and procrastinating. I think that you would have time to learn an extra language outside school, but it really depends on how well you manage it.

Oh, and by the way, I have a bed curfew at 10:30

• 3 weeks later...

instead of taking the SAT the ACT is better tiered for an IB student in my opinion because

1. Their questions are more striaght forward

2. You don't lose points for answering wrong

3. There is science so if your strong at science its a good choice

But the thing with ACT is that you have to take the one with Essay within it to be able to apply for US unis also the results don't come back for 5-8 weeks unlike the SATs which comes out a lot faster