This is a topic for all who need to change their IB subjects.

I am in my first year of the IB diploma and I am taking Biology SL and Business and Management HL while i had not known that to go into medicine i would have to take Biology as HL and Chemistry HL.

The question is that is it allowed according to the IBO to change from one sbjects to another ( in my case from Business and Management HL to Chemistry HL) and also is it allowed to changed from an SL level subject to HL ( from Bio SL to Bio HL).

THANKS

From what I understand is you're allowed to change but it depends on your school and whether they will let you change. The IB doesn't really know about your subjects until you're registered to write your exams, and that is sometime in second year. Again with the SL to HL thing depends on your school and if they'll let you, classes may be full etc, plus you may have to switch around other HLs and SLs if your school goes on the only 3 HLs and SLs policy.

The IBO has no specific rules about it, but it would be extremely hectic to start Chemistry HL from scratch. The IBO does have specific rules about the minimum number of teaching hours you have to attend in order to be eligible to sit the exam and complete your labs. If your school can accommodate your change in subjects while fulfilling the teaching hours' requirement, then they might be willing to let you switch.

Biology SL to HL is probably not going to be too hard to manage though.

• 5 months later...

A lot depends on the school. For example my school lets us change SUBJECTS during the first month (after that you're not allowed to change unless very special circumstances, and even then you have to pay a fine per subject you're changing). However, we can change LEVELS up until right before the IB coordinator register our subjects to the IB. But after a certain time it isn't really recommended to change levels because it'd be hard for us to catch up, especially those subjects with a lot of difference between SL and HL.

So it depends, and IB won't know until you're registered, and by then you're probably not allowed to change unless you have special issues. :)

• 6 years later...
  • 9 months later...
On 3/10/2013 at 6:31 PM, abdelrahman said:

This is a topic for all who need to change their IB subjects.

I am in my first year of the IB diploma and I am taking Biology SL and Business and Management HL while i had not known that to go into medicine i would have to take Biology as HL and Chemistry HL.

The question is that is it allowed according to the IBO to change from one sbjects to another ( in my case from Business and Management HL to Chemistry HL) and also is it allowed to changed from an SL level subject to HL ( from Bio SL to Bio HL).

THANKS

Hey I am currently in ibdp 1 and I am asking this with some hope that someone would reply. Did you find out that can you change your subjects or not. 

I have taken English HL and I don't really need it. Instead I want to take economic HL.

Hope someone is reading this and would reply to this.

Edited by 1414--215

On 11/28/2020 at 8:47 PM, 1414--215 said:

Hey I am currently in ibdp 1 and I am asking this with some hope that someone would reply. Did you find out that can you change your subjects or not. 

I have taken English HL and I don't really need it. Instead I want to take economic HL.

Hope someone is reading this and would reply to this.

well, depends how long into the porgramme you are and if you could still catch up, I suppose. I'd say you should talk to your IB coordinator and ask