University Guide

BIO-AQUA

Good argument.. However, your teachers have taught you for a year now and know actually your weakness points and how much you'll get. So when they give the predicted grades, they predict what each one is going to get. Most of the time the marks given are correct, but other times they are one point higher or lower than the actual final grade.

• 2 weeks later...
What standard is SAT Math and Sat English in as opposed to the IB?.How do i register for Sat and does Sat take a lot of extra work and time ?.

Ok.. Basically SAT Math is easy; it focuses on basic algebra, trigonometry, functions, statistics, probability and normal equations. Compared to the IB Math courses (all of them), it is super easy.. Really - That is if you're talking about SAT I Reasoning Test. As for english, there are two sections; one is critical reading (a bit tough) and writing (previously known as verbal section) which focuses on correcting sentences and paragraphs, improving them and writing an essay. Critical Reading is a bit similar to English A1 (but if you don't take it it's no big deal) and writing is similar to English B (same here). Please read the SAT section in the first post above.

To study for the SAT, there are special books sold in libraries with a CD containing some practice tests you can make use of. It does require some time to study and learn techniques and tips to manage your time and earn as much points as you can even if you don't answer all questions or get some of them wrong.

As for SAT II, this is only for subject tests, such as Biology, Chemistry, History... They are much easier than the IB subjects (though they require some studying). Now what is the difference between SAT I and SAT II with respect to universities? Basically, SAT I is required by ALL American universities and SOME Canadian universities. This is a college admissions test that colleges rely on to judge whether you are eligible to enter or not. As for SAT II, it is an alternative to the IB as a high school system. NOTE: Many US universities ask for SAT II subjects even if one takes the IB. :D

If you want to register for the SAT, please visit this webpage: www.collegeboard.com . It will guide you through the registration process step by step.

Hope this has helped. Have a nice day everyone. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

It depends actually.. If you're in IB1, then you can take it in May or June.. If you're in IB2 then October, November or December would be better. A piece of advice, it is better to take it twice or three times (if you can) to get more grades, and eventually you can send the best ones to the college of your choice. :rofl:

The latest you want to start taking your SAT's is the november of your grade 12 year. That means you can do your reasoning in November and your 2-3 subject tests in december. That's usually the LAST date that you can take any of your SAT's on. However, like BIO-AQUA said, you want to take the reasoning twice, cause you usually can improve the second time around (but really, you don't improve much after that... it's like an asymptote). As well, some universities actually have their deadlines earlier, so really, you should try to take them right after your may exams of your grade 11 year

The latest you want to start taking your SAT's is the november of your grade 12 year. That means you can do your reasoning in November and your 2-3 subject tests in december. That's usually the LAST date that you can take any of your SAT's on. However, like BIO-AQUA said, you want to take the reasoning twice, cause you usually can improve the second time around (but really, you don't improve much after that... it's like an asymptote). As well, some universities actually have their deadlines earlier, so really, you should try to take them right after your may exams of your grade 11 year

That's true. It is always recommended to take your SAT's during May/June of your IB1 year and/or Oct/Nov/Dec of your IB2 year. If the university deadline is over before your SAT examination date/ SAT results date, you could always tell the universities your SAT date and ask the collegeboard to send the results for you. Many students do that, especially if they want to repeat the SATs a second or a third time.

Ah well, good luck then! The same thing is going on with me, except that I'm applying for medicine and the offers come once I'm done with the interviews.

I guess you might be able to check your offers during Dec. or Jan. - It all depends on the universities. So good luck anyways! :heart:

well, yesterday i got my first offer from queen mary uni of london ! i am so excited... they wanted 32 points with 6 in maths and phy... which is not so bad afterall. *waiting for the other offers to come*

Congratulations! :worship:

I am so happy for you. That's good. Hope the other universities reply soon. I guess you can easily earn the marks, right? Good luck anyway. ;)

• 3 months later...
Are there any ''preferred'' subjects in the SATS subject tests that unis consider?

I heared that on a whole literature is very good and that biology is aparently considered the ''easy science'' & that World History is better than US History. Do your subject choices matter?

Just noticed that.. It's actually different from one university to another. Some tell you the required subjects for each field of study, others require 3 SAT IIs, so it depends. Consult the college of your choice - visit their webpage and check the requirements. :D