IB Myths: What have you learned after joining the program?

coolkidinsight

There's myths and stereotypes about everyone, and IB's are no exception to that. Over the past couple months, I've learned a lot of the things I thought true were just myths.

Example: All IB kids live on coffee.

Although there will be times when you need to stay awake, I actually don't see that many people living off of coffee. Personally, I drink coffee for the taste more than the purpose, and a lot of my friends are similar.

So, what have you learned?

• Universities love the IB and you'll be better off than your A level counterparts.
  • CAS is fun and a good idea.
  • You need to do loads of all nighters
  • ToK opens your mind
  • ToK will aid you in your university application
  • It broadens your possibilities for university applications

Oh and,

• The IB learner profile isn't the biggest pile of dog poop ever thrown onto a piece of paper.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

That IB isn't that difficult as is considered to be. In my school most of seniors who had taken IB suggested me not to take as it was 'very difficult'- as they put it. They felt that the IA's were very difficult and overall it was very difficult to score in IB (My school highest being 38.) But I feel that efficient planning and being prepared for certain things before handed is the key to gaining success in IB.

• 7 months later...

ib ruins your social life.

it sure can, believe me. however, no student is physically able to spend their every living moment doing something "productive". sure enough, skipping that party one day before your lab report is due is usually the smart thing to do. however, you will be able to take some time every week for your friends. (personally, i'm v v much into tutoring my non-IB friends over coffee. i mean, CAS hours for hanging out with them? why not.)

you will turn mature and serious after starting ib.

aw, naw.

• 1 year later...

ToK is an existential crisis in a nutshell

Yes and no. While it has brought on several insanely meta thoughts, I have noticed that it's more physchological than philosophical. Maybe that's just the way my ToK is taught, but I thought I wouldn't enjoy it half as much as I do. It teaches you critical thinking skills, and makes you more aware of what you hear, do, and say. It's basically a course that teaches you how to argue and question the thoughts of those around you. Although, I have noticed that my brother has stopped wanting to argue with me because ever time he does, I point out all his logical fallacies and he gets annoyed. XD I also out-TOKed the TOK teacher one day by asking him what area of knowledge the study of TOK would fall into. (Side note- apparently it doesn't fall into any, because it's more about the thought process of those areas; eg: it's the work of a natural scientist that counts towards natural science, not his thought process. TOK is like that thought process.)

IB ruins your social life.

Absolutely not! My social life is just filled with other IB students. XD My school is really good at getting the IB and non-IB communities to interact and get to know each other, though, so I also know quite a few non-IB kids.

IB takes over extracurriculars.

Not true- it is entirely possible to balance extracurriculars and IB! In fact, a lot of mine count for CAS. XD It's like the myth of only getting two of three out of sleep, social life, and good grades. It is entirely possible to balance all three.

- My Observations:

1. Bismarck ALWAYS has a plan. 

2. Don't EVER miss an economics class- miss one day and you've missed 3 weeks of work.

3. Always memorise the textbook definitions for economics, because you're going to need the exact ones later on.

4. If you want to enter a history class and live, don't mention the phrase "narraitve-based answer" anywhere near the history students... especially History HL.

5. Following on from that, unless you want to deal with a rant on how Bismarck always has a plan (see 1) and a ton of giggles over alternate histories, don't bring up German unification, Bismarck, Cavour, or Italy in the general hearing of the history students (or maybe that's just me).

6. DON'T EVER USE GOOGLE TRANSLATE. The teacher will know, and you'll only land yourself in more trouble.

7. TOK is actually not that bad (see above). In fact, it's super interesting if you know how to argue and how to hold your own with questions.

8. EVERYTHING is about CAS, my friends. Have to walk to the shop- can it be CAS? Hanging out with friends- is it CAS? (Actually, most of the time, when I hang out with friends, it's for a CAS event. XD ) Helping family? It's CA- wait, actually it's not. -.- (See, I understand why they did this, but me teaching my brother solfeggio from scratch should TOTALLY count as CAS.)

• 3 months later...