Which subject is the easiest to write an Extended Essay for?

deidara

Dear all,

I am pondering about my EE topic.

At first I gravitated towards Physics (pun not intended!) as it is one of my favourite subjects and reflects my career goals, but then I found this website http://www.physics-i...ended-essay.htm which states that getting a high mark is quite difficult.

So, my question is, out of the subjects listed in my signature:

Which subject is the easiest to write an Extended Essay for?

Share your ideas and thoughts, and possible essay titles that you or others have done or thought of!

I would like my essay to involve as much personal research as possible, and avoid interaction with the public through surveys, event planning etc. as much as possible.

When answering my post, please quote me so I receive a notification. :)

Thank you!

The easiest subject is a subject you're interested in. Sure, you could try finding the easiest possible topic, but if you're bored out of your mind, it will show in your essay and it will suck.

If physics is what you're interested in, just go for it and don't worry about what mark you'll get. There is an entire criterion that you can potentially score well in just by showing considerable interest in the subject. Interest should come first, and marks will almost always follow.

Edit: Having said that, when I was deciding my EE subject between physics or mathematics (actually I wanted comp sci but that's a separate story), one of the reasons why I chose math over physics was because I didn't want to do an experiment. But it worked out because I ended up becoming more interested in math than in physics :P

Edited by aldld
  • Like 1

The easiest subject is a subject you're interested in. Sure, you could try finding the easiest possible topic, but if you're bored out of your mind, it will show in your essay and it will suck.

If physics is what you're interested in, just go for it and don't worry about what mark you'll get. There is an entire criterion that you can potentially score well in just by showing considerable interest in the subject. Interest should come first, and marks will almost always follow.

Edit: Having said that, when I was deciding my EE subject between physics or mathematics (actually I wanted comp sci but that's a separate story), one of the reasons why I chose math over physics was because I didn't want to do an experiment. But it worked out because I ended up becoming more interested in math than in physics :P

So, do you mean that if we choose to do the EE on a science subject, we have to experiment?

Edited by cricketcrazynerd

So, do you mean that if we choose to do the EE on a science subject, we have to experiment?

Thank you aldld, that gives me far more peace of mind! What was your EE topic then?

I am still slightly doubtful about how difficult Physics may be. I generally enjoy all subjects but Physics places first by a whisker. :P

I have another question:

What sort of topics/issues can I explore with an interest in philanthropy?

I am assuming I will need to work in Geography for that.

And yes cricketcrazynerd, I am wondering the same thing!

For a science EE experimentation IS needed (how else will you argue your point?). However, the experiments HAVE to be ethical.

An EE is meant to challenge you. Yes, we all want it to be easy and quick but that defeats the purpose of an EE.

What you should do, is look at a subject that really excites you and then delve deeper into it and to somehow turn it into a research question. If you find something that excites then that in turn makes it easier for you to work on it.

(Research more, read example essays on your subjects and then decide what subject you want to do it on)

ALSO, keep in mind that here we cannot give you a topic of research question. YOU need to do that since its up to you. If you find a topic and/or research question we can then help you perfect it. Nothing in IB is easy and you have to work hard to get the rewards. Please keep this in mind when starting topics.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

Like Jaymi said, it doesn't matter if it's easy to do an EE in such and such subject. What matters is that the topic and subject you choose to do it in, should interest you. You can't expect to write a 4000 essay on a subject you hate!

Carrying out an experiment for science EE's is HIGHLY recommended because it gives a chance to score a high mark on your EE. EE's in science subjects that don't have experiments carried out to test hypotheses don't score that good and you could fairly well get a C!

Good luck! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I wanted to do my EE in math, but my teacher strongly recommended I don't if I want to get a high grade in my EE.. what did you do yours on exactly? how was it?