Do you consider IB english difficult?

Rtothea

Because I'm not really an English-minded person I thought it was really hard and I pulled an 89 my first quarter (bit unusual for me). But when I understood what the exam markers were looking for and adjusted my writing to fit those criteria, it really wasn't hard at all.

To get good marks I would say... ANALYSE ANALYSE ANALYSE. Don't leave any word unturned. Even though it seems like the writer really didn't intend anything (maybe Robert Frost just wanted to write about the freaking woods, for God's sake), every phrase should have a meaning. I use a 'checklist' when I'm analysing a text-- check for rhyme scheme if it's a poem (what does the rhyme scheme say about the meaning of the poem), check for caesura (again poetry), check for unusual descriptions or words that don't really fit, check for placement of punctuation and check to see whether or not the sentence is cumulative or periodic... It's a bit like a formula if you think about it.

Best of luck! :)

Oh and I ended up with a 100% on my world literature paper and an overall 97 in the class. :) Well, IB 1 at least, but 2 doesn't seem to be much different.

Edited by The Economist
Merged with next post.

Although I am only one week into IB English HL, I can say that the course I took last year was modeled to be exactly the same as IB English. The Rubrics were the exact same, questions were taken from IB past papers, etc. It'

I completely agree with Half_Blood_Princess16, it's really not that hard once you figure out what they want from you. Analysis is basically what they are looking for, and that is a nice formula to follow. However, what I find the to be most helpful during assessments is to have the rubric right there while I'm doing the assignment. For some reason I haven't been able to find the one that I've always had for mock Paper 1 / Paper 2 exams, but I have found one for a mock IOC, and will attach it. It specifically states things such as "There is excellent appreciation of the ways in which language, structure, technique and style shape meaning in the poem." which means they literally want you to analyse and talk about how effective the "language, structure, technique, and style" of the work are.

Best of luck this year

IOC Rubric.docx

Although I am only one week into IB English HL, I can say that the course I took last year was modeled to be exactly the same as IB English. The Rubrics were the exact same, questions were taken from IB past papers, etc. It'

I completely agree with Half_Blood_Princess16, it's really not that hard once you figure out what they want from you. Analysis is basically what they are looking for, and that is a nice formula to follow. However, what I find the to be most helpful during assessments is to have the rubric right there while I'm doing the assignment. For some reason I haven't been able to find the one that I've always had for mock Paper 1 / Paper 2 exams, but I have found one for a mock IOC, and will attach it. It specifically states things such as "There is excellent appreciation of the ways in which language, structure, technique and style shape meaning in the poem." which means they literally want you to analyse and talk about how effective the "language, structure, technique, and style" of the work are.

Best of luck this year

Unfortunately they won't let you have the mark scheme during the actual exam. But it's good practise!

Hardest class ever I wanted to die every time I went into it

But that's because I never properly learned how to analyze literature before starting IB English, so I had to play catch-up to learn how to analyze at the expected level really quickly. And even then, my analysis was never great. I could read the text and "get" it, but I had a hard time pointing out hidden subtleties and not-so-obvious motifs, etc. When it came to writing essays, I always did well on Paper 1 (the unseen commentary) but I always struggled with Paper 2. I ended up getting a 5, which is probably the maximum score I could have gotten in the course, and I'm very satisfied with it. I just don't "get" literature and never really have. That's why it was so difficult for me. Heck i found HL chemistry way easier.

Each person is different though. If you can analyze, you will do well. If you can't, it's harder.

I have never done literature before I started IB, so it was really a struggle for me. Since I was only one of the two in my class who had never taken literature before, my teacher just taught on the assumption that everyone has done literature before. So I was totally lost as to what I should do. I think I'm slowly improving though.

• 8 years later...
On 9/3/2012 at 10:00 AM, pattrickk said:

Best of luck this year

IOC Rubric.docx

Hi, If I may id like your feedback on a year 1 IB DP student who is thinking of transferring from English B HL to English A SL mid semester. I consider English my first language and have been praised for my advanced use of language in other classes such as TOK and Econ HL. Do you think I will be able to survive despite moving in so late? I have doubts that I may be too inexperienced. Thank you in advance!!!