Non experimental Biology EE

ejensen

I know, you're all going crazy. But before you just rule it out completely, please honestly think about it and tell me if it could work.

As a swimmer, I have often heard about the use of lactate testing to increase performance. Lately, however, there has been a bit of a debate with its productivity. So, I decided that I wanted to write an essay debating its effectiveness.

My plan is to first briefly summarize the history of lactate testing in athletics, including swimming. I will then discuss aerobic and anaerobic respiration, and apply the concepts to the sport of swimming. I will then generate my answer to the question regarding its usefulness, but then test out y own theories with completed studies. Essentially, my essay will result in a meta analysis of my own theories as well as scientific studies.

I hope that my application and analysis to the sport of swimming will fulfill the requirements the IBO has set. I understand the emphasis that needs to be put on my own thoughts and analysis rather than a simple summary of the processes.

Any suggestions before I begin writing?

I hate to tell you, I would give it a miss. Is there any practical you can do at all?

At my partner college (My college is an offshoot ran by the partner college), the maximum a non-experimental science got was a C.

But that being said, write a short piece and give it to your supervisor. If they think it's good, then go for it. If not, back to the drawing board, m'afraid.

• 7 years later...
On 8/26/2012 at 7:38 AM, ejensen said:

I know, you're all going crazy. But before you just rule it out completely, please honestly think about it and tell me if it could work.

As a swimmer, I have often heard about the use of lactate testing to increase performance. Lately, however, there has been a bit of a debate with its productivity. So, I decided that I wanted to write an essay debating its effectiveness.

My plan is to first briefly summarize the history of lactate testing in athletics, including swimming. I will then discuss aerobic and anaerobic respiration, and apply the concepts to the sport of swimming. I will then generate my answer to the question regarding its usefulness, but then test out y own theories with completed studies. Essentially, my essay will result in a meta analysis of my own theories as well as scientific studies.

I hope that my application and analysis to the sport of swimming will fulfill the requirements the IBO has set. I understand the emphasis that needs to be put on my own thoughts and analysis rather than a simple summary of the processes.

Any suggestions before I begin writing?

Hi Ejensen, 

I'm about to start my Bio EE by using meta-analysis. Can I please have some suggestions from you whether meta-analysis will work? And is it true that non-experimental EE will get a low mark?

thank you!

Kathryn 

• 1 year later...
On 5/11/2020 at 5:55 PM, Kathrynnnnnnn said:

Hi Ejensen, 

I'm about to start my Bio EE by using meta-analysis. Can I please have some suggestions from you whether meta-analysis will work? And is it true that non-experimental EE will get a low mark?

thank you!

Kathryn 

how did your meta-analysis work out? I want to do the same thing for Bio.

On 5/12/2020 at 12:55 AM, Kathrynnnnnnn said:

Hi Ejensen, 

thank you!

Kathryn 

I would recommend doing anything practical! My teachers have always recommended plant-physiological such as germinating/growing seeds. That is something you should also be able to do at home. 

On 5/12/2020 at 12:55 AM, Kathrynnnnnnn said:

Hi Ejensen, 

thank you!

Kathryn 

no it is not true that non practical ee will get a low mark, but you need to discuss and evaluate the data collected in a very good manner