Can a School forcefully demote a student from HL to Sl and decide the students subject combination

Sohom

Hey Guys,

I need your help. My school is forcing me to drop me from Maths Hl to Maths Sl as I my avg is less than 50%. These guys are putting all types of pressure to change my decision to SL. Is it possible.

Guys I need your views.

They might actually be doing you a favour, you know...

They see that you're struggling with math HL, so they're putting you in math SL which is easier and probably will be better for you in the end. What's wrong with that? Just switch one of your languages from SL to HL and there you go.

While technically the school cannot overrule your own decisions on certain matters, they can make that decision if they feel that you will not be able to perform in the HL class. As you mentioned, you're averaging at below 50% in the class, maybe there's a reason they want to put you in SL. Having Maths HL with an extremely low IB score is not going to help you any.

Is there any reason you'd like to stick to HL Maths? Do you plan on going into Medicine or Engineering after and need the HL Maths?

They might actually be doing you a favour, you know...

They see that you're struggling with math HL, so they're doing something that will probably be better for you in the end. What's wrong with that?

I thought that first, however if i drop maths hl then I will have to take English HL which I am much worse than Maths. My school will offer me Film Hl which I have no inclination towards. However my graph in Maths Hl is rising. !!!

While technically the school cannot overrule your own decisions on certain matters, they can make that decision if they feel that you will not be able to perform in the HL class. As you mentioned, you're averaging at below 50% in the class, maybe there's a reason they want to put you in SL. Having Maths HL with an extremely low IB score is not going to help you any.

Is there any reason you'd like to stick to HL Maths? Do you plan on going into Medicine or Engineering after and need the HL Maths?

I plan to Economics which requires a Maths Hl atleast in the UK. Also my friend who plans to do Engineering is asked to drop Maths Hl and take Business at the Higher Level. So you see me and my friends are being pressurized to drop it.

I think it is a common practice to talk students out of some subjects or restrict choices at the beginning of IB. Basically, if you really need it and you think you can handle it, you should just stick to it. School cannot do it without your permission, so they'll try to talk you out of it, but if you remain strong and can handle the pressure - there's nothing they can do about it. Just keep stating that you are and will keep on improving and that you need it.

However, I would recommend you to make sure you need Maths HL and to think very good about whether you'll be able to handle the subject. Good luck with your decission :)

Edited by MariusIBDP

I plan to Economics which requires a Maths Hl atleast in the UK. Also my friend who plans to do Engineering is asked to drop Maths Hl and take Business at the Higher Level. So you see me and my friends are being pressurized to drop it.

Well even if you plan on taking Economics down the road, you need a 6-7 in Maths HL to be considered by any of the good Unis in the UK. If you continue to struggle with Maths HL and your current scores persist, you're going to have trouble getting into the Unis of your choice anyway. Take a good look at your abilities, your rising graph, and whether or not, with immense hard work and dedication, you can bring your Maths HL prediction and final score up to a 6/7. If you do plan on applying to the UK, then your predicted scores are paramount, and if your teachers don't think you can get over a 5, you're pretty screwed as it is.

Whether or not the school is pressuring you is secondary, you need to take into account what's best for you in this scenario and what you will be able to handle and do well in. Also, the leap from English SL to HL is hardly much. With significantly less hard work, you can get a 6 at minimum in English HL, whereas the same cannot be said for Maths HL.

• Like 1

You really can not get lower than a 4 in English HL! Specially if it's Language and Literature. So go for it man! They're doing you a favor. It's a nightmare trying to pass an HL cause to be honest, it gets harder.

For economics you need a pretty high score in Math HL but keep in mind that even if you drastically change your results in Math HL, it's going to be extremely hard to get a 6/7. It requires dedication at it's best!

I was in the same situation than you. I was taking Math HL at the beginning of IB and I had a 3. They forced me to drop to Math SL although my university of choice wanted a 5 in Math HL. I did it and I dropped. I got a 6 in Math SL and still got into that university. A 6/7 in Math SL is still valuable!

You should really consider raising English and dropping Math. Even a 7 in math SL is possible. You can do it by studying 150 hours for your final exams and doing pretty well in your IAs.

Cheers

Edited by Vincent Casey F

• 1 month later...

Well if it's a prerequisite for your desired course, I don't see why they should be forcing you to drop to SL. I mean, your school's probably seeing what will be best for you, but if you really show a desire to continue with it and work hard, your school shouldn't make you. In the end, they want you to pass with the best possible mark, but since you need Maths HL, I'd suggest discussing your motivation for continuing in HL and your other options.