extraction of salicylic acid

islandemofreak

• 2 months later...

[quote name='islandemofreak' post='15011' date='Apr 14 2008, 02:59 PM']sorry i need more help. does anyone know any procedures on the extraction of salicylic acid from herbs like white willow, or fruits like strawberries? i googled everywhere and i cant find anything..[/quote]

Salicylic acid is a precursor to common weak analgesics like ASA (aspirin). Saliciylic acid is generally extract by using various organic solvents with appropriate dielectric constants. My recommendation would be acetonitrile, methanol, or even dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO). A standard extraction setup followed by rotoray evaporation would be able to allow you to isolate and purify your analyte of interest. Your best bet to see what would work is to jump onto the primary literature either in Google Scholar or SciFinder and look for the information. Alternatively if you have done any isoelectric focusing studies or know the rough polarity of the molecule, you can look up the dielectric constants of some organic solvents in the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics.