Is this a weird subject combination?

Guest Zephyrion

Guest Zephyrion
Hahahaha! From all the responses I have been getting so far' date=' that might actually be true[/quote']

Of course it's true, I'm always right :D

Spoken with such confidence! XD

Could you possibly switch Econ to HL? It would help if you were interested in it, and I know every year a high percentage of all Diploma students gets a 7 in the course (some ridiculous number like 15%). Two HL sciences can be brutal, and I rather enjoyed SL Physics.

I'm already taking Econ HL. If I were to switch to Bio, for some reasons, I think that I might as well take it at HL. Probably the fact that top universities rarely consider the Chem HL + Bio SL combo. Hmmmm...Physics SL should be fine but I'm afraid that I can't cope with it. The concepts are hard for me to grasp. =/

Edited by Zephyrion

• 7 years later...

Both combinations aren't weird at all. Yeah sure the first one is claimed to be the toughest HL combo but if your strong in maths then it will work out, it's also a solid base for courses like chemical engineering. Doing HL Math and Chemistry will leave most science options to you, as math is considered a 'science' and Economics HL is a good subject to boost your score because of Paper 3, and statistically has the highest percentage of students scoring 7s in Group 3. (and at the same time isn't looked down upon e.g. Math Studies/Math AI SL, ESS - sorry) I know a number people doing both combinations and 

Depending on how far you are in your IB journey, I would say if you are unsure whether you would enjoy the first combo and do well in it. You could try it out for a few months and change subjects later when you get a better idea of the course.

Required by most universities

Economics: HL Math 

Actuarial Science: HL Math and HL Econ (recommended)

Psychology: 'science-based subject' - this one is pretty flexible - if you decide on this do Eng LAL HL instead to make your life easier, Biology is also good

(and obviously psych if your school offers it)