Do any other IB kids smoke weed?

I hardly think this is IB-specific... however, at our school, you'll find proportionately less IB students partaking than VCE (local qualification) students... probably because, though our IB program isn't academically elite, the kids are generally.. different (geekier isn't really the right term here, if anything most of them seem years younger than their VCE counterparts).

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know any IB students at my school who smoke/do drugs. I do know some that go to parties and get drunk on weekends (not diploma kids of course, just certificate ones). The diploma kids at my school are insanely obsessed with school, they'd never do anything like that. A lot the people who smoke/do drugs at my school are failing classes or barely passing.

Oh yeah, I know a few. Maybe not weed sometimes lol. Apparently it's a running gag that weed helps you with creative essays and understanding poetry, but I have no idea; I'm off that kind of stuff.

Don't smoke it too much, I think weed is bad for you

There's this dude in my English class that I'm 99% sure does drugs and he was absent for like a whole week recently. He still manages to provide pretty insightful in English class though so maybe he's onto something haha. And I've heard a lot of the senior IB class does drugs too so yeah.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't smoke it too much, I think weed is bad for you

Weed IS bad for you. If taken in excess you can do all sorts of damage to the part of your brain responsible for your memory. Wouldn't want that to affect you during exam periods now would we? Moreover it can mess with your heartbeat and blood pressure and assuming you were born healthy, you probably don't want heart and blood pressure problems at your age.

But seriously, marijuana can screw up your brain severely and even though it's considered a gate-way drug I don't think you or anyone who does smoke it to continue taking it.

If it wasn't evident from my short mother-ly nagging, I do not smoke weed.

If you don't want to take up my advice on it- Fine. Just looking out for the well-being of my fellow IB-ers.

• Like 1

The severity of weed is seriously overplayed. Most of the negative effects you just mentioned only occur while the effect persists or when a person consumes to much of the stuff.

If taken in moderation, weed has proven medical benefits with near to no side effects. The brain is really just affected badly if weed is smoked over a long period of time regularly.

And the idea that weed is a gateway drug is a joke. It really depends on the people around you and how easily you "give in" to trying new stuff. If the people who sell you the weed, smoke it with you and so don't sell/take any harder drugs, then why would you?

I think weed is like alcohol, something to be taken in moderation and DEFINITIVELY not when operating a vehicle or another heavy machinery. This way no person around you or yourself are in any real danger. (With alcohol there is still the possibility, however, as it acts as an depressant and can make some people aggressive)

• Like 2

The severity of weed is seriously overplayed. Most of the negative effects you just mentioned only occur while the effect persists or when a person consumes to much of the stuff.

If taken in moderation, weed has proven medical benefits with near to no side effects. The brain is really just affected badly if weed is smoked over a long period of time regularly.

And the idea that weed is a gateway drug is a joke. It really depends on the people around you and how easily you "give in" to trying new stuff. If the people who sell you the weed, smoke it with you and so don't sell/take any harder drugs, then why would you?

I think weed is like alcohol, something to be taken in moderation and DEFINITIVELY not when operating a vehicle or another heavy machinery. This way no person around you or yourself are in any real danger. (With alcohol there is still the possibility, however, as it acts as an depressant and can make some people aggressive)

Because I do not want to have a discussion on a separate topic aside from the topic that was originally intended for this thread, please let us further discuss this through the messenger :)

I'd say about half of the diploma kids at my school do, myself not included. I do hang around a lot of people that do and I'll pass the joint but I don't use the stuff. I really don't see the point. Not condemning anyone for it though. My IB English teacher used to trip acid lol and he's one of the most brilliant people I know.

As far as I know, there are around 5 IB1 students that smoke it (on a "regular" basis). And to be honest, even if they do smoke it, one of them is very smart so I am not sure if he is affected by it. But all the res of us, including myself, don't. For me personally, IB is too much for me right now, and I don't think I need the green leaf for help haha

• 2 weeks later...

This thread opened my eyes - in my school EVERYONE is a stoner to some extent (except the people getting more than 36/42).

But that's the funny bit - and, if I may, the awesome bit. I'm getting 41/42 (with the last 7 on it's way) which is the highest in my grade and I'm also know as one of the biggest stoners. Go figure I guess.

But I think that if it's kept recreational and if you only do it after finishing work (like me) or before a creative essay/ToK (like me) then it's not a problem at all - in fact it helps reduce stress levels etc.

• Like 1

In fact, I think weed is better than alcohol. If it came down to choose one to abuse, I'd go for weed.

http://www.hailmaryjane.com/12-practical-reasons-to-choose-marijuana-over-alcohol/ -- here are some reasons that I feel too lazy to retype :P

• Like 4