Requirement of physics HL for software development courses in UK/USA

siddhant530

Hello everyone,

I am in my second year of IB. i was planning to do mechanical engineering till now but now i have dropped the idea. i want to join the field of software development but i find physics HL very tough. i was wondering "is physics HL necessary for any course in software development either in the US/UK or would SL be enough?"

Thank You.

Well it all depends on the university you want to attend. In USA, they often have classes such as algebra where you see Algebra I, Algebra II etc...In this system, you can adapt yourself with whatever level you are. My school recently introduced the IBDP (it's the second year which it is in place), and before this we do CXC, the Caribbean equivalent to O-level. Whoever wants to go to USA with CXC is always accepted; I've never seen someone who wanted to attend a university in USA but was not able to because they were not admitted due to academic requirements. You may hence be on the safe side if you to USA, with Physics HL or SL.

In UK, it depends on the university you want to go to. Consider that if the requirement is A-level physics, then you should be having physics HL.

A last point to consider is: which are your HL topics? If you have 4 HL's including physics, then I'd advise you drop to SL and go USA. On the other hand, consider if the hard work you already put into HL worth dropping to SL; should you try just a bit harder or should you have your hard work not rewarded? If you have only 3 HL's, I do not see taking Physics SL instead of HL as an option: you trying a bit harder will probably take less effort than covering the HL parts of another subject you took at SL.