• 3 weeks later...

Really helpful... I'm halfway through the second term of my first year and procrastination is a problem. It's like I do not feel the desperation when a particular work is not due tomorrow. I don't want to fall behind since I'll have problems catching up when it comes to my second year but that's what i'm still doing. <_<

Edited by I am a nerd
  • Like 2

Really helpful... I'm halfway through the second term of my first year and procrastination is a problem. It's like I do not feel the desperation when a particular work is not due tomorrow. I don't want to fall behind since I'll have problems catching up when it comes to my second year but that's what i'm still doing. <_<

"Stop thinking and start doing" - so stop thinking about what you're going to do and do it :) make up your own dead lines or something like that :yep:

Glad you found it helpful.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

You should get a cookie for this! This was extremely helpful! Thank you very much.

But I have a question. My problem is I often over analyse my work, or do lots of prep stuff until I realize that I actually haven't even started the task. How do I cut the "thinking and planning" time to actually getting to do it? I mean for example, for writting a critical analysis of a poem, I would often highlight and really dig deep into the subject without even officially starting it...

• Like 2

You should get a cookie for this! This was extremely helpful! Thank you very much.

But I have a question. My problem is I often over analyse my work, or do lots of prep stuff until I realize that I actually haven't even started the task. How do I cut the "thinking and planning" time to actually getting to do it? I mean for example, for writting a critical analysis of a poem, I would often highlight and really dig deep into the subject without even officially starting it...

Stop thinking and start doing. That's literally it. Usually what happens is than you just imagine how much work you have to do in sort of give up so then you just start preparing unnecessary things. Then you don't realise you're procrastinating :P

So I recommend timing yourself and being pretty strict about it. So leave 20 minutes for analysing then like an hour for writing. I don't analyse my poems a lot but still get the message of the poem.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I found this very helpful! I'm currently a Freshman in the iB program at Atlantic High in Delray Beach and its really hard for me to keep up with everything and do well. A lot of my classmates came from a much better middle school than i did therefore, making it easier for them to adapt to iB than myself.

I just started my last quarter of freshman year and i need to get straight A's but so far im off to a bad start. I feel like such a slacker :/

• 3 months later...

I thought that I'd add to this post. I want to go into detail about concentration because it's a problem that I have so I'm assuming that some others have the same problem. Firstly, if you find working for long periods of time fine then stick with that. My concentration is horrible so I can't do that.

Inevitable title...

Concentration

Alright, so staying focused on a task for an hour can be pretty difficult sometimes. It's really easy to get distracted by rubbish. Most of it isn't even external, it's just us looking for a way to stop working. It varies from getting up and eating (especially when you aren't hungry), checking your phone or even refilling a glass of water.

I prefer to split my work into 20 - 25 minute chunks. with a 5 minute rest after that. then after a couple of that I take a longer break. So get a timer and set it to 25 minutes and start working. Surprisingly, it might be quite difficult to do actual work for that period of time. But it gets easier. However, if you do see yourself getting distracted note it down on a piece of paper and come back to it. Then decide whether it's actually important. A lot of the time, I've found out that I didn't actually need to do it at that time. They tend to become quite trivial after a while and it becomes easier to concentrate on what you want to do.

Basically, during the 25 minutes; work. Don't waste time doing trivial things and you'd be surprised how much you can do during 25 minutes.

Then the break. The break is just 5 minutes of doing... anything but work. There's no point thinking about work during the break is there? You can review the work in the next 25 minute section if you want to.

There was more... but I've forgotten it. Hopefully you understand the what it's about. It's just breaking up work into smaller amounts to make it more manageable and it reduces the chance of you getting extremely bored. I'll add more to it later when my memory works again. There was also an interesting e-book about this too. I'll add it to my post if I find it.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
Guest some guy

I thought that I'd add to this post. I want to go into detail about concentration because it's a problem that I have so I'm assuming that some others have the same problem. Firstly, if you find working for long periods of time fine then stick with that. My concentration is horrible so I can't do that.

Inevitable title...

Concentration

Alright, so staying focused on a task for an hour can be pretty difficult sometimes. It's really easy to get distracted by rubbish. Most of it isn't even external, it's just us looking for a way to stop working. It varies from getting up and eating (especially when you aren't hungry), checking your phone or even refilling a glass of water.

I prefer to split my work into 20 - 25 minute chunks. with a 5 minute rest after that. then after a couple of that I take a longer break. So get a timer and set it to 25 minutes and start working. Surprisingly, it might be quite difficult to do actual work for that period of time. But it gets easier. However, if you do see yourself getting distracted note it down on a piece of paper and come back to it. Then decide whether it's actually important. A lot of the time, I've found out that I didn't actually need to do it at that time. They tend to become quite trivial after a while and it becomes easier to concentrate on what you want to do.

Basically, during the 25 minutes; work. Don't waste time doing trivial things and you'd be surprised how much you can do during 25 minutes.

Then the break. The break is just 5 minutes of doing... anything but work. There's no point thinking about work during the break is there? You can review the work in the next 25 minute section if you want to.

There was more... but I've forgotten it. Hopefully you understand the what it's about. It's just breaking up work into smaller amounts to make it more manageable and it reduces the chance of you getting extremely bored. I'll add more to it later when my memory works again. There was also an interesting e-book about this too. I'll add it to my post if I find it.

Sure you're not talking about the Pomodoro Technique? Here's a "cheat sheet" from the website.

Sure you're not talking about the Pomodoro Technique? Here's a "cheat sheet" from the website.

I know I was talking about that.

No need to act like a smart you-know-what. Read your post again and then hopefully you will understand.

There's no need to be upset friend. I don't know what sort of message you got from my post.Thanks for the link anyway, someone should find it useful.

Edited by Award Winning Boss

What I like to do is order myself gifts online.

I have needlework as a CAS activity (Luckily, I also enjoy it), and say I order a cross stitch kit, I won't open it from the post packaging. I'll gift wrap it, and put a tag on it that says "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL YOUR PHILOSOPHY IA IS IN! XXXXX". It then goes under my model of a dead tree, which I call my soul tree, and it stays there, with the others, taunting me until it's done.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I use iProcrastinate, only available for Macs, and its quite useful.

Helps me keep track of all the things I need to do.

Stayfocused, google chrome app, is also really useful as well.

You can block distracting websites and the nuclear option will stop procrastination almost permanently.

• 2 weeks later...

Make suer you do EE over the summer! Thats what I did, but a few of my classmates waited until the last minute and I swear no one slept for like a week!

other work, just make sure to work on homework every night. i noticed we dont have a lot of homework due everyday, its more spaced out. but theres plenty time to work ahead and be productive a wee bit each night instead of cramming the night before. also it might just be my school but a lot of due dates aer close together between classes and if you wait it gets really stressful

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...