The Best IB Chemistry Textbook

rmd

I currently have a textbook by John Green and Sadru Damji and its making chemistry HL Hell! I'm only halfway through year one but i'm going to fail with this book. Could someone please recommend another textbook that they find favorable. Any opinions on these two books:

Chemistry for the IB Diploma by Christopher Talbot and Richard Harwood

or

Higher Level Chemistry (Pearson Baccalaureate)

I recommend the IB Course Companion: Chemistry, by Geoffrey Neuss. Although it has fewer pictures, it's far cheaper and it contains all the information you need to succeed (cliche, I know)

I have both the course companion and Pearson Baccalaureate and Pearson is, in my opinion, far better. It's also good to have Neuss' Guide for revision purposes as it's impossible to study solely from it.

• 2 weeks later...

I also recommend the chem textbooks by Pearson (both SL and HL). Another one I really liked was the "Chemistry for the International Baccalaureate" by John Green (IBID press). I found this book to be a lot more concise and in some ways "simpler" than content covered in Pearson's textbooks. Sections in this particular book are divided using headings from each point in the syllabus (and it's always good to stick to the syllabus)! Another one you may want to look into for quick exam revision is the IB chemistry study guide (Oxford).

Edit: Oh wait - just reread OP's post. Hehe you don't like that textbook by John Green? :) Then I say definitely try the Pearson one.

Edited by Stereoisomer

Chemistry for the IB Diploma by Christopher Talbot and Richard Harwood is not the best. I mean it's ok, but there some pretty major mistakes in the book, and you wonder if they actually bothered to check it over. Some sections are better than others, I guess. It's still usable, it's my main textbook. But I don't really like it.

There are practise questions, but I find them bit too easy in general. A lot of times I find they don't prepare me well enough for tests/ exams.

I've always heard that the Pearson Baccalaureate was good, but I don't have that one. I like the one by John Green, but I guess you don't.

Edited by SmilingAtLife:)

• 4 weeks later...

Well the Green and Damji book is not useful since it has a lot of text that you would need to cram into your head. I currently have no other choice but to study through the IB Chemistry Course Companion book, but I do recommend the Pearson Baccalaureate since it's colourful and has more pictures.

• 3 months later...

I reckon I've put this on another thread but it's worth saying again...

We've stated using www.ibchemistryonline.com at our school, alongside Green (and I much prefer it tbh). It's an online textbook that you can use anywhere there is internet + pc or mac, so I can check up on things at home. It's readable and full of tips, video links and questions that haven't appeared in IB exams before.

The school bought a multiple-user subscription but you could buy your own for home use - I worked out a subscription is also cheaper than buying a lumpy textbook.

• 9 years later...
  • 4 months later...

the 'oxford IB diploma programme chemistry course companion 2014 edition' is the best one although a 2014 edition, following the post 2016 syllabus its still relevant and the content is the exact same yall would just have to compare it to the 2016 syllabus and follow it

anyone who needs it can download it from here https://pdfroom.com/books/ib-chemistry-course-book-the-only-dp-resources-a-developed-with-the-ib/wW5mwolkgYo

Edited by faten

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2012 at 3:49 AM, rmd said:

I currently have a textbook by John Green and Sadru Damji and its making chemistry HL Hell! I'm only halfway through year one but i'm going to fail with this book. Could someone please recommend another textbook that they find favorable. Any opinions on these two books:

Chemistry for the IB Diploma by Christopher Talbot and Richard Harwood

or

Higher Level Chemistry (Pearson Baccalaureate)

Personally I don't find textbooks too useful and so I use tiber tutor. It's an online site with notes and flashcards and questions that all link together amazingly! Really helped me out andI don't have to carry a textbook anywhere!