Which Chemistry Options do you take?

BIO-AQUA

Chemistry Options  

365 members have voted

1. 1. Which Chemistry Options do you take?

• A. Modern analytical chemistry
    • B. Human biochemistry
    • C. Chemistry in industry and technology
    • D. Medicines and drugs
    • E. Environmental chemistry
    • F. Food chemistry
    • G. Further organic chemistry

Anyways, (Nov '07/May '08 Candidates).. What are your option material? I'm hopefully taking option B (Medicines and Drugs) and C (Human Biochemistry) alone. Anyone ever done both/one of them? What are yours and what do you think of them?!

I'm doing both of them, though we haven't started studying them yet... I'll tell you when we do! :punish:

Guest Instinct.sD

Environmental chemistry and Medicines and Drugs. Asked why we weren't allowed to take Biochemistry, they said because there wasn't enough time to teach another option for the students taking physics ( we can only take 2 sciences at our school, weird..)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cl0ckw0rk0range
Anyways, (Nov '07/May '08 Candidates).. What are your option material? I'm hopefully taking option B (Medicines and Drugs) and C (Human Biochemistry) alone. Anyone ever done both/one of them? What are yours and what do you think of them?!

My teacher decides for us. And she hasnt decided yet =S i knowww.. I am sooo worried.

We've done one of our options though: about pKa and all that, its something to do with acids and bases.

I revised soooo hard for that one, its ok. I fully understand it now.

Option B sounds intresting. I'm not sure about C though.

See - I only take chemistry, and the other people in my class all take Physics as well.

Chances are, the options will most likely be a physics-chemis thing. and in my opinion thats EW

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Mr Canada
I have a very strong feeling that we will do Drugs & Medicine and Biochemistry (or Environmental Chem). We haven't yet decided but since all of the students in SL have biology HL except one and since our teacher is so used with these options, there is a high possibility.

We took the Env Chem because we've done it thoroughly during the Pre-DP year so we know what it is. It's a time saver for the other topics.

We took the Env Chem because we've done it thoroughly during the Pre-DP year so we know what it is. It's a time saver for the other topics.

You know, that is what I have been thinking about when it comes to 'voting' and such. For instance if one should take something that you already know. I mean we know a great deal already in biochemistry so it'll be almost like a revision. The same thing goes for biology HL in which we are thinking of doing neurology & behaviour, as many of us are doing psychology and it'd would be basically biological/learning perspective revision but we'll see >.<

Guest Mr Canada
You know, that is what I have been thinking about when it comes to 'voting' and such. For instance if one should take something that you already know. I mean we know a great deal already in biochemistry so it'll be almost like a revision. The same thing goes for biology HL in which we are thinking of doing neurology & behaviour, as many of us are doing psychology and it'd would be basically biological/learning perspective revision but we'll see :P

Yeah however it was the teacher that chose this topic. It's a good way though.

• 2 weeks later...

Our chemistry has chosen our options now and it'll be Biochemistry and Medicine & Drugs. We didn't really get to have a say in it but I'm happy since those were the ones I wanted. He said that he thinks, judging on most of our other subjects, it would be the topics we can get a higher grade on.

• 2 weeks later...

to the people who are taking option C (human biochemistry), how do you study for it?! because i am finding it extremely difficult and i can't get anything in my mind. the nutrients topics are easy, but enzymes and HL stuff is ..... is it because i did not take bio HL? our teacher said it would be easy but here we are...

to the people who are taking option C (human biochemistry), how do you study for it?! because i am finding it extremely difficult and i can't get anything in my mind. the nutrients topics are easy, but enzymes and HL stuff is ..... is it because i did not take bio HL? our teacher said it would be easy but here we are...

Well actually I'm studying it alone, so taking Biology HL has really helped. However, it's not really necessary to be in Biology HL to understand the material and do well in it.

For example, in the Enzymes section, there's the whole theoretical part about the active site, enzyme-substrate complex, inhibition... First you have to understand what they talk about and memorise the key ideas. Then there's the next part which is a whole math section about graphs, Michaelis Constant,... This is mainly math and easy if you read it several times over and over again until you manage it through (This is not in Biology HL (except for the inhibition graphs), but still they make sense! :) )

As for the rest of the material, take it easy;

- Proteins (analysing them - Gel Electrophoresis and Paper Chromatography) you have to understand it. Once you read it once or twice, you get the hang of it and easily memorise it. As for the Protein structures, that's mainly memorisation.

- Carbohydrates and Fats (know how to undergo condensation reactions, types of bonds involved, the monomers...) You don't necessarily have to memorise their structures UNLESS they are NOT included in the Data Booklet. Same applies to Hormones.

- DNA (Mostly memorisation too, but you need to understand how to bond the structure together (phosphate group to the pentose sugar and nitrogen base)).

- Vitamins (Pure memorisation.. Memorise everything: Why do we need them? Where are they found (food)? What are the symptoms of their defficiency and so on.. Ooh! And how they differ in structure - That can be easily deduced by referring to the Data Booklet :) ).

- Personally, I ended the topic with the lesson about Food Calorimetry (though it's the first lesson). Think of it as a summary of what you studied earlier, and add to it the calorimetric calculations (same as the ones in Core Topic 6: Energy, remember?)

One more thing, if you study the whole material carefully, you won't have trouble in the past papers (hopefully). The questions are straightforward and direct (check them out!!).

Hope this has helped. Have a nice day. :)

yes thanks alot... so basically the whole option is pure memorising... which is why i did not take bio in the first place ! i agree that the questions are straightforward but the marking scheme is VERY specific... i dont know how you studied it on your own but again bio HL is helpful... anyways our p3 mock exam is tommorrow i hope i do well after all this i can not memorise anymore.. thanks for your help