Help needed for applications to Canadian universities

The Economist

Hello there! Wow it's been a while since I started a thread. Anyway, I am currently in my gap year and it recently occurred to me that, apart from the UK, I could also apply to universities in Canada. I would apply to US as well, but I am too lazy to take any SATs - other than my math level 1 and 2 :P.

So I have been looking around and I have concluded that I will apply to the University of Toronto (which I absolutely loved), McGill university and the University of British Columbia. I have sent my applications to the later because they are not using the OUAC thing (I am such a noob!), but I have not fully completed my paperwork. My top priority right now though, is the University of Toronto. I was wondering if anyone knows whether my grades are good enough for a BA with a major in economics at the University of Toronto (and possibly a minor in mathematics if it is possible, but let's focus on the major). Also, what is the attitude of Canadian universities towards international students? Are they carefully considered, usually rejected, etc, or are they interested in them?

I will probably have many more questions a bit later, but these are for now! Thanks everybody :)

Edited by Jirashimosu

Nice uni choices XD I think you have a good chance of getting into U of T with your grades. They ask for 28 points minimum but can require up to 35 points. http://www.artsci.utoronto.ca/futurestudents/admissions/high-school-students/ib

You might be able to apply directly to U of T without using OUAC if you're only applying to one Ontario university. I'm not 100% sure about it though.

Since you did IB, U of T will look at you favourably. They accept international students and since you completed a program that they're familiar with, you have a good chance. At McGill I think about a quarter of the students are international students so you will be in good company :P

If you're interested in math as well you could maybe do the Economics and Mathematics degree. Just a thought xP

• Like 1

Hey people, I was wondering which are the requirements for the University of British Columbia and if someone could give me information about scholarships or half scholarships to international students.

Thanks

I have their prospectus but don't see their minimum requirement... I think they said 34 or 36 though :/ I totally forgot, sorry.

they offer two types of scholarships: merit based and financial need based. if I remember correctly the latter can cover up to full tuition.

Nice uni choices XD I think you have a good chance of getting into U of T with your grades. They ask for 28 points minimum but can require up to 35 points. http://www.artsci.ut...ool-students/ib

You might be able to apply directly to U of T without using OUAC if you're only applying to one Ontario university. I'm not 100% sure about it though.

Since you did IB, U of T will look at you favourably. They accept international students and since you completed a program that they're familiar with, you have a good chance. At McGill I think about a quarter of the students are international students so you will be in good company :P

If you're interested in math as well you could maybe do the Economics and Mathematics degree. Just a thought xP

Wow thanks! That's what I wanted to hear :P. I really liked McGill, but no univ compares to U of T <3 Ok, this is an exaggeration but I really loved the univ, as well as Toronto (they're both so beautiful)! Do you know anything about the colleges at U of T? I will probably put as a first choice Trinity College and then University College, but I am really not sure. Are the courses independent of the college you belong to or do colleges have different professors for each subject? Because based on my (quick) research, it seems that Trinity has much better academic reputation than the rest of the colleges - but is kind of 'snobbish' so I am a bit troubled :S

Nice uni choices XD I think you have a good chance of getting into U of T with your grades. They ask for 28 points minimum but can require up to 35 points. http://www.artsci.ut...ool-students/ib

Wow thanks! That's what I wanted to hear :P. I really liked McGill, but no univ compares to U of T <3 Ok, this is an exaggeration but I really loved the univ, as well as Toronto (they're both so beautiful)! Do you know anything about the colleges at U of T? I will probably put as a first choice Trinity College and then University College, but I am really not sure. Are the courses independent of the college you belong to or do colleges have different professors for each subject? Because based on my (quick) research, it seems that Trinity has much better academic reputation than the rest of the colleges - but is kind of 'snobbish' so I am a bit troubled :S

I don't know too much about the colleges, but my friend who goes there said that they are like the houses in Harry Potter :P And apparently some people wear capes in the dining hall at Trinity college or something like that xP Trinity is the most well known college IMO, not too sure if it is snobby or about the profesors.

The location of U of T is great, it's downtown so there's lots to do without having to go too far. One thing about U of T is that population-wise, it's a huge university. Good thing they have colleges I suppose. A lot of people commute to U of T as opposed to staying in residence, though there are still plenty of people who live on campus. I'm going to their open house soon so I will get even more info then :P

• Like 1

I don't know too much about the colleges, but my friend who goes there said that they are like the houses in Harry Potter :P And apparently some people wear capes in the dining hall at Trinity college or something like that xP Trinity is the most well known college IMO, not too sure if it is snobby or about the profesors.

The location of U of T is great, it's downtown so there's lots to do without having to go too far. One thing about U of T is that population-wise, it's a huge university. Good thing they have colleges I suppose. A lot of people commute to U of T as opposed to staying in residence, though there are still plenty of people who live on campus. I'm going to their open house soon so I will get even more info then :P

Oh great! Please keep me posted :)

• 4 weeks later...

I can tell you right away that you have no reason at all to worry about your grades. You'll get into all the universities you've mention without any problems.

One good thing about most Canadian universities is that they only look at relevant grades for IB, and will rarely ever ask for a 7.

Coming to Canada as an international IB student I can tell you that the universities here greatly value the IB. I'm at Waterloo right now, and because of IB I got transfer credits for a few courses and a $2000 entrance scholarship(I got it most likely due to IB, however I'm not sure).

I can't speak for all universities, but it seems to me that international students make up a significant portion of the student population at all major universities and are definitely carefully considered.

The University of Toronto is also my dream university! They visited my campus (in south america) an said international students for business should have a score in the low thirties to have a competitive app (including IB points). As for UBC, their "competitive" score was very low, I think 30? I've heard some very bad things about UBC and lived in Vancouver too so I don't doubt them--hence, I wouldn't recommend UBC. I know someone is going to attack me telling me how great of a city vancouver is and how UBC might just happen to be the best university in Canada in their opinion, but I think you should stick with your U of T choice.

Your grades are solid and I'm sure you'll get into all of them. We had three kids from my school get into McGill's Economics program and they all had scores in the "mid to high thirties" and one of them even got to skip the first year I think (new policy or something).

I think you'll love Toronto, I grew up there and it was always my childhood dream to go there. My grades aren't as great as yours, but I hope I can still get in :)

The University of Toronto is also my dream university! They visited my campus (in south america) an said international students for business should have a score in the low thirties to have a competitive app (including IB points). As for UBC, their "competitive" score was very low, I think 30? I've heard some very bad things about UBC and lived in Vancouver too so I don't doubt them--hence, I wouldn't recommend UBC. I know someone is going to attack me telling me how great of a city vancouver is and how UBC might just happen to be the best university in Canada in their opinion, but I think you should stick with your U of T choice.

Your grades are solid and I'm sure you'll get into all of them. We had three kids from my school get into McGill's Economics program and they all had scores in the "mid to high thirties" and one of them even got to skip the first year I think (new policy or something).

I think you'll love Toronto, I grew up there and it was always my childhood dream to go there. My grades aren't as great as yours, but I hope I can still get in :)

Oh great. Thanks for the information! :) Good luck with your applications btw! I was wondering, what is your college preference? Do you have insider info on this issue too? :)

Oh great. Thanks for the information! :) Good luck with your applications btw! I was wondering, what is your college preference? Do you have insider info on this issue too? :)

Yes! The colleges don't matter in regards to what your studying. You can be in any college and still study the same thing and be in the same classes as someone in another college. Colleges are more like "homerooms" in high school--they're small communities where you belong and spend your time in. If you're worried about choosing them because of academics--don't, it doesn't make a difference. I'd just choose them depending on what you're looking for. Take a look at the webpages of the colleges and their pictures, they should help you decide. I chose mine just based on the pictures--although I regret it now because I realize I may be living in them, I had originally planned on getting my own place.

1. University College

2. Trinity College

3. Victoria College

4. Woodsworth College

5. St. Michaels College

6. New College

7. Innes College

I chose these because I like modern buildings with a good social environment. However, I also liked antique buildings with interesting architecture (note I used the word "antique" and not "old").

Are you planning on living on campus?

Yes! The colleges don't matter in regards to what your studying. You can be in any college and still study the same thing and be in the same classes as someone in another college. Colleges are more like "homerooms" in high school--they're small communities where you belong and spend your time in. If you're worried about choosing them because of academics--don't, it doesn't make a difference. I'd just choose them depending on what you're looking for. Take a look at the webpages of the colleges and their pictures, they should help you decide. I chose mine just based on the pictures--although I regret it now because I realize I may be living in them, I had originally planned on getting my own place.

1. University College

2. Trinity College

3. Victoria College

4. Woodsworth College

5. St. Michaels College

6. New College

7. Innes College

I chose these because I like modern buildings with a good social environment. However, I also liked antique buildings with interesting architecture (note I used the word "antique" and not "old").

Yes, I've already spent hours and hours on the websites of the colleges and my final list is:

1. Trinity College
  2. University College
  3. Innis College
  4. Victoria College
  5. St. Mike's
  6. New College
  7. Woodsworth College

I will probably be living on campus for the whole 4 years (I believe it is possible, especially for international students, right?). If not, then I will stay on campus for my first year because I can't imagine moving to such a huge city (it has double the population of my hometown!) all alone, trying to find an apartment :P How about you?

By the way, what's up with the student profile that Trinity requires its students to submit? I chose Trinity as my first choice because I've read (almost everywhere!) that it has an excellent academic reputation, but UC has definitely drawn my attention too :P

1. University College

2. Trinity College

3. Victoria College

4. Woodsworth College

5. St. Michaels College

6. New College

7. Innes College

Yes, I've already spent hours and hours on the websites of the colleges and my final list is:

1. Trinity College
  2. University College
  3. Innis College
  4. Victoria College
  5. St. Mike's
  6. New College
  7. Woodsworth College

I will probably be living on campus for the whole 4 years (I believe it is possible, especially for international students, right?). If not, then I will stay on campus for my first year because I can't imagine moving to such a huge city (it has double the population of my hometown!) all alone, trying to find an apartment :P How about you?

By the way, what's up with the student profile that Trinity requires its students to submit? I chose Trinity as my first choice because I've read (almost everywhere!) that it has an excellent academic reputation, but UC has definitely drawn my attention too :P

My parents are pretty wealthy so we were considering buying my a condo by harbourfront (beside the CN tower); we were in contact with some people already, but then through an agent we learned that those buildings were of very poor quality, so our months of research went to waste. From there, we decided it'd be best to make a decision after seeing the properties in person first--so I'll live on campus for at least the first year, and then maybe buy myself a place. Toronto isn't such a big city when you get used to it :)

I've heard that a lot of partying doesn't take place on campus, so for me, the college or residence doesn't matter as much since I guess I'll be doing my partying off-campus. Hence, my first choice for residence would be Chestnut Residence, since it's a bit separated from the university and is very hotel-like (weekly cleaning service, and all that). However, the one thing I don't like about it is that first and 2nd year students have to share a 2 bed-bedroom with absolutely no privacy. Although they get their own washroom, it's like any hotel room with the beds side by side, and one or two desks--just one room. I'll have to find a roommate I really like!

Not too sure, but more information should come along in "late november" when applications start being processed. Yeah, I've read about Trinity too, so it must be a good college. Acedemically--it's not relevant.

I've done a LOT of research about U of T so if you have any more questions just inbox me :) Let me know if you get in too! It'd be great to know someone who's also new !

1. University College

2. Trinity College

3. Victoria College

4. Woodsworth College

5. St. Michaels College

6. New College

7. Innes College

1. Trinity College
  2. University College
  3. Innis College
  4. Victoria College
  5. St. Mike's
  6. New College
  7. Woodsworth College

My parents are pretty wealthy so we were considering buying my a condo by harbourfront (beside the CN tower); we were in contact with some people already, but then through an agent we learned that those buildings were of very poor quality, so our months of research went to waste. From there, we decided it'd be best to make a decision after seeing the properties in person first--so I'll live on campus for at least the first year, and then maybe buy myself a place. Toronto isn't such a big city when you get used to it :)

I've heard that a lot of partying doesn't take place on campus, so for me, the college or residence doesn't matter as much since I guess I'll be doing my partying off-campus. Hence, my first choice for residence would be Chestnut Residence, since it's a bit separated from the university and is very hotel-like (weekly cleaning service, and all that). However, the one thing I don't like about it is that first and 2nd year students have to share a 2 bed-bedroom with absolutely no privacy. Although they get their own washroom, it's like any hotel room with the beds side by side, and one or two desks--just one room. I'll have to find a roommate I really like!

Not too sure, but more information should come along in "late november" when applications start being processed. Yeah, I've read about Trinity too, so it must be a good college. Acedemically--it's not relevant.

I've done a LOT of research about U of T so if you have any more questions just inbox me :) Let me know if you get in too! It'd be great to know someone who's also new !

Oh that's great! I'll probably send you more questions since you have obviously done a LOT more research than I have :P Good luck with all of your applications and if (hopefully!) we both get in, I'll definitely contact you! I know nothing about Toronto (and generally Canada!) so I'll need some guidance :) See you around!

1. University College

2. Trinity College

3. Victoria College

4. Woodsworth College

5. St. Michaels College

6. New College

7. Innes College

1. Trinity College
  2. University College
  3. Innis College
  4. Victoria College
  5. St. Mike's
  6. New College
  7. Woodsworth College

Oh that's great! I'll probably send you more questions since you have obviously done a LOT more research than I have :P Good luck with all of your applications and if (hopefully!) we both get in, I'll definitely contact you! I know nothing about Toronto (and generally Canada!) so I'll need some guidance :) See you around!

No problem! I lived in Canada for 10 years, and in the Toronto area for 5. It'd be great to go into university knowing someone else