Bad linguistics but good grades

rahuld3eora

So I am an IB student and i have taken PCM HL and Hindi, english and business SL. My overall in the 3rd semister was 35 but i got 777 in HLs and a 446 in SLs. 44 being in the two languages. My councellor has recommended me to write to the universities thorough common app that i have a linguistics problem and she said that she will also mention it in her recommendation. I have got 4s in Hindi in all 3 semisters and my english grades in order are 6-5-4, even in IGCSE the only Bs i got were in english and french. I would like to know if writing about this would have any impact on the way universities evaluate me, since the rest of my grades are pretty good.

One more thing is that i currently have a 1970 in my SAT (M-710, W-680 and CR-580) but i am giving it again and expect noting less than a 2150(M-780, W-750 and CR-650-700) So will geting a high score in english on the SAT effect my attempt to convince then that i am bad in linguistics, i truly am but the SAT scores may suggest otherwise. My predicted is definitely a 38 or 39 on 42( i might get a 6 in hindi since my teacher got changed). Could anyone please tell me if this is a good idea? My dream university is Stanford, any idea how they would view it?

My intended major is Mathematics and Philosophy.

Err...Stanford may NOT work out. 38 is good..but not good enough. YOU MAY get in but make sure that your common app essay and supplements are all PERFECT. If you have a good amount of extra curriculars as well...then I shouldn't see why you can't get into Stanford. Of course if you plan to apply for Financial Aid.... well you can forget about that.

Lastly, have some realistic backups as well.

Cheers and good luck!

Well what do you mean by a linguistics problem? That's like me asking my teacher to write in saying that I'm bad at Maths so don't worry about my Maths mark but otherwise I'm okay. I mean, your grade already tells them that you're not great at it. That's what grades are for :P

Unless it's a genuine problem you can be tested for (e.g. Dyslexia) I don't think Universities will care much. Otherwise, as I said, all you're doing is trying to excuse the fact that you're bad at something by saying... well, saying that you're bad at it! :P Try to get some kind of formal identification from somebody who deals with issues such as Dyslexia is my advice, or effectively what you're trying to use as an excuse IS the problem itself!

For Philosophy you actually do need to be able to write essays and analyse language so that might be a problem. For Maths, obviously it's not a problem at all.

Anyway, get yourself tested for a problem if you genuinely have one. If you're just bad at it, don't bother saying so - your grades will say so for you without needing to add salt to the wound.

Well what do you mean by a linguistics problem? That's like me asking my teacher to write in saying that I'm bad at Maths so don't worry about my Maths mark but otherwise I'm okay. I mean, your grade already tells them that you're not great at it. That's what grades are for :P

Unless it's a genuine problem you can be tested for (e.g. Dyslexia) I don't think Universities will care much. Otherwise, as I said, all you're doing is trying to excuse the fact that you're bad at something by saying... well, saying that you're bad at it! :P Try to get some kind of formal identification from somebody who deals with issues such as Dyslexia is my advice, or effectively what you're trying to use as an excuse IS the problem itself!

For Philosophy you actually do need to be able to write essays and analyse language so that might be a problem. For Maths, obviously it's not a problem at all.

Anyway, get yourself tested for a problem if you genuinely have one. If you're just bad at it, don't bother saying so - your grades will say so for you without needing to add salt to the wound.

I was diagnosed for mild Dyslexia a couple of years back but admitting to Dyslexia is a completely different thing.

In IB we have TOK which is quite similar to philosophy and im pretty sure i can get an A in that so no worries.

Ib doesnt factor into admissions. Get 2300+ and you're good to go.

That makes no sense

Yeah.

IB scores DO MATTER. Some people even say that Ib is more important than the SAT's.

And 2300 is very tough to get.

Well, it depends on the college you plan to go to because some have cut-off scores for the SATs whilst others don't; it depends where you want to go.

For example, to get into Singapore Management University, you can get in through 2 ways.

1: Getting a Total IB Score of 38

2: Getting 2000 in the SATs.

So given your situation, you just have to try to improve yourself more in those subjects. If you don't understand something, ask for an extra encounter. Do your best! I know you can manage. This way, you'll be safe for both ways.

Good luck!