Are my choices ok?

spereira14

Hi guys, I am currently in in IB1(sweden) and soon it is time for me to chose my six subjects. In the future I would like to study engineering and I know that math,physics and chemistry are necessary at least in Sweden.

So I am thinking of taking SL Eng,Swedish,chemistry and for the higher level's I'm not so sure, I'm most certainly taking math because it's my favorite subject and I think I can manage physics. So that leaves me with 5 subjects, so what do you guys think my third higher level should be? It's between biology and economics and I'm leaning towards economics but I can't decide and I know it's something I should decide by myself but I honestly don't have a clue which would help me with engineering...

So I would appreciate any help,

Thanks in advance!

You need to remember that you need a Group 3 subject in order to receive a diploma so Economics should be a good option. I don't think there is any Group 3 subject that would particularily help you in engineering. From my personal experience, Psychology is absolutely fantastic, but that's just my personal opinion, if you think you'll like Economics, go for Economics. If you're not sure, ask some older IB students about the subjects you might want to help, they'll give you the best insight.

At my school we don't HAVE to take a group 3 subject, we could chose to get a nonregular diploma as well but I don't know how much biology is going to help me.

But don't you guys think that HL math and physics is too though? I've heard people say that those are like the two toughest subjects.

At my school nearly everyone who takes Physics HL also takes Maths HL (apart from one girl). So it should be possible. However, if you combine it with HL Chem, it might get a bit intense. :D

Does a nonregular diploma count as a diploma (I mean, in a uni application) or just a bunch of certificates?

Thanks for the encouraging words guys :) And I'm pretty sure that nonregular counts as a diploma. So it seems like I'll be taking economics HL, just have to hope I can manage since I need to get over 39 points to get in the good universities in Sweden :(

But once again, thanks for the help!

Hello, fellow IBlets! :D Currently, I am taking:

Biology HL

History HL

Math HL

English A Lit HL

Economics SL

Chinese B SL

I'm thinking of going for either law or bio-related science major for university. I'm still not sure....

1. Would universities accept me for science major even if I chose only one group 3 subject?

2. Are my subjects rigorous, or are they doable?

Do you think my subjects are too ambitious? Because, for my first unofficial progress reportcard I got 5s and 6s on my HL subjects and 4s on my SL subjects. They were pretty crappy and I was quite surprised. My average dropped immensely from...before I started IB. lol. Is there anyone takin 4 HLs, or facing similar problem?

Do you even need to take 4 HL subjects?

About your 1st question. Where do you want to study? For Law, at least in UK, any subject will be fine, so you should choose subjects based on bio-related course requirements. Group 3 are social science subjects, actually, I think you might want to take one more science subject but really, that depends on individual requirements of the universitites you want to apply to. If they only require Bio HL for bio-related courses, then it's fine. :)

As far as I know, a irregular diploma is not really considered an IB diploma by istself. It is just basically a lot of certificates joined together, so why risking yourself? Just take a Group 3 subject. In my personal opinion, that gives you a well balanced global education and the subjects in this group are really amazing. If you're wondering what to choose between Biology and Economics, take eco even if it is not required for an engineering, with math HL and physics HL I'm pretty sure its enough. Plus, why would you challenge yourself with three experimental sciences, that's just crazy! Don't do it, please :)

At my school we don't HAVE to take a group 3 subject, we could chose to get a nonregular diploma as well but I don't know how much biology is going to help me.

But don't you guys think that HL math and physics is too though? I've heard people say that those are like the two toughest subjects.

I have both of them. Sure, they're really demanding, but they're manageable :D

why not take up chem HL and just Econ SL? just saying, who knows if you like it.

yeah all the Physics HL students here are also taking Maths HL, and the other one Maths HL student is taking Chem HL lol

I'd say it depends on your strengths/interests etc.. I don't like Physics and am finding Phy HL really difficult. but my other HL friends are well better than me at Physics perhaps because they like the subject. you have no choice though, have to take Phy if you want to go into Engineering. no choice. if you're good though, it shouldn't be a problem to you especially if Physics is one of your favourite subjects, you're more likely to pass.

good luck!

• Like 1

Hello, fellow IBlets! :D Currently, I am taking:

Biology HL

History HL

Math HL

English A Lit HL

Economics SL

Chinese B SL

I'm thinking of going for either law or bio-related science major for university. I'm still not sure....

1. Would universities accept me for science major even if I chose only one group 3 subject?

2. Are my subjects rigorous, or are they doable?

Do you think my subjects are too ambitious? Because, for my first unofficial progress reportcard I got 5s and 6s on my HL subjects and 4s on my SL subjects. They were pretty crappy and I was quite surprised. My average dropped immensely from...before I started IB. lol. Is there anyone takin 4 HLs, or facing similar problem?

Do you even need to take 4 HL subjects?

About your 1st question. Where do you want to study? For Law, at least in UK, any subject will be fine, so you should choose subjects based on bio-related course requirements. Group 3 are social science subjects, actually, I think you might want to take one more science subject but really, that depends on individual requirements of the universitites you want to apply to. If they only require Bio HL for bio-related courses, then it's fine. :)

Nah, I don't need to take 4 HLs, it was just that I wasn't sure which HL subjects i should take. But, I think I got it figured out now. I'll drop math hl to sl if my next math test results aren't that good. Thanks for your advise, helped me loads. (: