Mathematics SL Extended Essay - Binary numbers

noobface

Hi! Am working on my Extended Essay in Mathematics SL. My topic is binary numbers and calculations with binary numbers. So far I have written about all the simple arithmetic methods (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division). What I request some help with is how to continue my extended essay. Mine and my tutor's main ideas is to make a general statement of arithmetic calculations to use with all bases (preferred topic, however not sure if it is possible and have not found any useful information about it), continue with more advanced calculations with binary numbers and at last, and least preferred, to do the same process with a different base.

Was hoping that perhaps I could get some encouraging and innovative ideas or some additional information on how to continue working on my topic. Unfortunately I have not decided a research question yet and would be lovely with some ideas around this as well.

All additional information, hints, tips or comments are very welcome!

Cheers!

think about its application in real life. how can you use binary numbers to solve real life problems?

Could be a nice new approach, however the way we use the binary numeral system today is in all kinds of electronic devices which again is difficult to calculate or find something specific to write about. I am not quite sure on what the IB requires, expects or truly wishes from the EE, but is the element of applying the mathematics to a real life situation preferred?

Anyways, thank you for comment!

seriously?? then you should read the EE guide! usually they prefer seeing maths being applied in real life. my teacher always told me to find a topic on the application of maths. simply researching and copy pasting all the general information about a topic does not make a good EE because you can find the exact same information on a textbook or something...

Yeap, makes perfect sense. I am the first student my tutor has in the extended essay, so I am already having a disadvantage. Could also as well setting myself in for the EE, but then again: I have just introduced the subject of the essay and could still apply it to real life, hopefully:)