Is maths studies really that bad?

mermer

Okay, first of all i've read alot of forums concerning about math studies "worth" and there are so many like clashing opinions that i don't know which to believe.

so, people have been saying that taking maths studies would hinder your chances at uni, but some say that it doesn't matter if you took maths SL or HL or what but what really matters is your over all garde in the ib.

i saw this one person saying that there was this girl that took art and maths studies and business and got a 42 in her ib grade but is still accepted in a college with a scholarship.

so really, coz i don't know where to go. some say, take SL atleast (im in studies now) i got a B in my gcses higher. and some say just stay in studies because it's an easy 6/7 thus giving you a better overall IB grade.

and does taking maths studies hinder your chance of getting into university in various countries,, say singapore, uk and usa,

i don't know what i want to become but maybe in business or interior designing (although i dont have the talent) if saying that helps with my decision.

i take:

HL- business, Bio, Eng (I still don't know if im in higher eng since the teacher has yet to "approve" me)

SL- french (Wants to be in spanish ab, but teacher won't let me), maths studies, art (if i get in eng hl, ill be in art sl)

so does taking maths studies make my diploma look like crap?

Honestly it depends on the university and where in the world you want to go. In Australia, unless your course actually has a prerequisite of maths SL or HL, they dont care what level of maths you do, they just care about the grade. However i do know around the world it can be very different. If you have a idea of the universities or colleges you possibly want to go to, research how maths studies would affect your entry into those universities and figure out whether its worth it or not.

Edited by kiwi.at.heart

Okay, first of all i've read alot of forums concerning about math studies "worth" and there are so many like clashing opinions that i don't know which to believe.

so, people have been saying that taking maths studies would hinder your chances at uni, but some say that it doesn't matter if you took maths SL or HL or what but what really matters is your over all garde in the ib.

i saw this one person saying that there was this girl that took art and maths studies and business and got a 42 in her ib grade but is still accepted in a college with a scholarship.

so really, coz i don't know where to go. some say, take SL atleast (im in studies now) i got a B in my gcses higher. and some say just stay in studies because it's an easy 6/7 thus giving you a better overall IB grade.

and does taking maths studies hinder your chance of getting into university in various countries,, say singapore, uk and usa,

i don't know what i want to become but maybe in business or interior designing (although i dont have the talent) if saying that helps with my decision.

i take:

HL- business, Bio, Eng (I still don't know if im in higher eng since the teacher has yet to "approve" me)

SL- french (Wants to be in spanish ab, but teacher won't let me), maths studies, art (if i get in eng hl, ill be in art sl)

Kamusta ka na? Hey, Filipino!

Anyway, universities generally look at your grades more than your subjects. Imagine. Since everybody has HL and SL subjects, as long as you take subjects that are aligned to your course, and get significantly high in them, you won't have a problem.

For example, if you're planning to become an engineer, and you just take Math Studies, admissions officers will raise a brow, but if you're going to take liberal arts, then its not much of a problem. You can take Math Studies. (Just a friendly reminder, in math studies, you take a week or two studying how to use a graphing calculator.)

So, the answer: NO. As long as your not taking a Mathematics/Engineering course. :D

Sana'y natulungan kita! :D Haha.

i take:

Anyway, universities generally look at your grades more than your subjects. Imagine. Since everybody has HL and SL subjects, as long as you take subjects that are aligned to your course, and get significantly high in them, you won't have a problem.

For example, if you're planning to become an engineer, and you just take Math Studies, admissions officers will raise a brow, but if you're going to take liberal arts, then its not much of a problem. You can take Math Studies. (Just a friendly reminder, in math studies, you take a week or two studying how to use a graphing calculator.)

So, the answer: NO. As long as your not taking a Mathematics/Engineering course. :D

Haha, thanks! But for a business course, it wouldn't really matter if I take maths studies right?

Are you studying in manila btw? :)

Guest KAPOWW!!

Excuse me if I make some big error, but if the business course you aim to take is intertwined with accounts, you might need SL to be safe. When I asked a professor whether I needed Maths for Veterinary, he blew up! at my ignorance of course, he said, you don't even need maths to begin with! so to hell with levels

Anyway, universities generally look at your

grades more than your subjects.

WRONG. unless you were talking about US unis in particular.

UK and SG unis have certain prerequisites, subject requirements, that you need to fulfill in order to even be considered for that course.

I'm curious about the Maths Studies student with IB43 and getting a scholarship story. where did you read this? FYI though in the UK if you are a UK applicant it's very easy to get scholarships and loans so if that person was one maybe it's what happened.

definitely take Maths SL. KAPOWW has a point. though the Maths you'll be dealing with in business won't be as tough as HL Maths, I seriously think you should be at least at SL Maths.

actually, a friend of mine was also in Maths St but she decided to study Business and found out she needs at least Maths SL for a Business course so she upgraded to SL. not sure which uni made her switch, though.

but anyway, even if it's not required by your uni, it's still worth it! and, it's not that difficult if you're willing to work hard and keep practising!

also it doesn't mean you'll be getting a 7 in Maths St. I know people who seemed to be good at Maths yet got like only a 5 or lower at Maths St.

go for SL. it's better in so many ways.

UK and SG unis have certain prerequisites, subject requirements, that you need to fulfill in order to even be considered for that course.

I'm curious about the Maths Studies student with IB43 and getting a scholarship story. where did you read this? FYI though in the UK if you are a UK applicant it's very easy to get scholarships and loans so if that person was one maybe it's what happened.

definitely take Maths SL. KAPOWW has a point. though the Maths you'll be dealing with in business won't be as tough as HL Maths, I seriously think you should be at least at SL Maths.

actually, a friend of mine was also in Maths St but she decided to study Business and found out she needs at least Maths SL for a Business course so she upgraded to SL. not sure which uni made her switch, though.

but anyway, even if it's not required by your uni, it's still worth it! and, it's not that difficult if you're willing to work hard and keep practising!

also it doesn't mean you'll be getting a 7 in Maths St. I know people who seemed to be good at Maths yet got like only a 5 or lower at Maths St.

• 3 weeks later...

i take:

If you're doing business definitely keep to Maths SL, unless you are sure about going to the US and your university standards aren't very high. (Not top 50)

Singaporean unis, at least NUS, requires Maths SL as a prequisite.

UK unis studying business and management also require/recommend Maths SL, and some even need maths HL.

US unis don't have requirements about subjects, mostly grades, but they also care ALOT about the rigour of your curriculum. They say you should take the most difficult curriculum available to you, and Maths Studies is basically the equivalent of Sophomore work(US Year 11).

I don't know, but just to clarify. We had Singaporean Admissions Officers come over to our school and give us talks on the subjects, and one of the more prominent would be SMU (Singapore Management Univerity), and from they told us, we could choose two paths to get in, with the corresponding grades. It is outlined below.

1. Use the IB Diploma and get a TOTAL ACCUMULATED SCORE of 38. This is for all courses except Law and Accounting.

Use the IB Diploma and get a TOTAL ACCUMULATED SCORE of 42. This is for the courses, Law and Accounting.

Use the IB Diploma and get a TOTAL ACCUMULATED SCORE of 43 and above. This will qualify you for a scholarship.

2. Use the SATs and get at least 1900. (Though they suggest you get 2000 and above this year since competition is getting better!)

So, yea. I don't know, but here's the basis for my argument above. :D

Edited by The Filipino Limner

i take:

If you're doing business definitely keep to Maths SL, unless you are sure about going to the US and your university standards aren't very high. (Not top 50)

Singaporean unis, at least NUS, requires Maths SL as a prequisite.

UK unis studying business and management also require/recommend Maths SL, and some even need maths HL.

US unis don't have requirements about subjects, mostly grades, but they also care ALOT about the rigour of your curriculum. They say you should take the most difficult curriculum available to you, and Maths Studies is basically the equivalent of Sophomore work(US Year 11).

Okay in conclusion people, Just SEND AN EMAIL to the admission's officer of your dream uni. ASK them if Studies is an OK option.

Oh and if you have NO idea where you want to apply ....Well Math SL ain't that hard.

But if your heart is set on Singapore or UK..well forget about Studies. Most colleges in the United States will be OK with studies. But just don't expect any credits from them.....or even financial aid for that matter.

Good luck!

i take:

Haha, thanks! But for a business course, it wouldn't really matter if I take maths studies right?

Are you studying in manila btw? :)

Yes, I'm from Manila!

Oo. Depende naman kung saan mo gusto pumunta. Actually, kung local ka nga lang, pwedeng mga madadaling course lang ang piliin mo eh! :D

Kapag abroad, tsaka mo piliin yung mga mas mahihirap, pero kung kaya mo naman yung mga mas mahihirap, take the challenge! :D

I think it depends on what you want to study at uni and where you want to study, if you are going to study a subject that does not require math whatsoever, maths studies is cool, if it does, but not a lot, then Maths SL is ideal, if you are going to study Maths or Mechanical Engineering, the Maths HL is necessarry. Hope this helps xo

• 3 weeks later...

Not even then, they just give you credit for certain scores in subjects. You won't really get anything for your overall score.

Heck, you could not even get the diploma but somehow you got a 7 in HL Bio, you'd still get like 5 credit hours for it >.>