CAS Hours

I was talking to my CAS advisor about how I could get some more Action hours since my school wants us to have 50 hours in each category. I already have all of the Creative hours I need from theatre/drama and all of the Service hours I need from a number of various activities, but I don't play any sports so I'm having trouble getting Action hours!

I asked her if activities like rock climbing, bike riding, weight lifting, etc. would count as Action hours, and after talking with our school's IB Coordinator she determined that these hours would only count if they were geared towards bettering the world in some way, such as doing a walk-a-thon to benefit cancer research or something like that. I thought that counted as Service hours, not Action! I was hoping to get a second opinion, because the IB program is pretty small at my school and we don't have a lot of experience with it just yet. I'm really hoping that our IB Coordinator is wrong, because otherwise I have to somehow come up with 50 Action hours by April 15th! Help please!

I know that in Action, if you're doing something regularly i.e. doing cycling for about 30-40 hours, you'd have to work towards a goal. So say you're doing cycling, you'd need to have an aim to achieve like the ability to cycle for 20 miles and back.

[quote name='Jessie0390' post='12675' date='Mar 11 2008, 05:44 AM']I was talking to my CAS advisor about how I could get some more Action hours since my school wants us to have 50 hours in each category. I already have all of the Creative hours I need from theatre/drama and all of the Service hours I need from a number of various activities, but I don't play any sports so I'm having trouble getting Action hours!

I asked her if activities like rock climbing, bike riding, weight lifting, etc. would count as Action hours, and after talking with our school's IB Coordinator she determined that these hours would only count if they were geared towards bettering the world in some way, such as doing a walk-a-thon to benefit cancer research or something like that. I thought that counted as Service hours, not Action! I was hoping to get a second opinion, because the IB program is pretty small at my school and we don't have a lot of experience with it just yet. I'm really hoping that our IB Coordinator is wrong, because otherwise I have to somehow come up with 50 Action hours by April 15th! Help please![/quote]

The activities you mentioned should count as action...as long as its a new experience for you (i.e you are taking lessons)

[quote name='Aboo' post='12678' date='Mar 11 2008, 08:24 AM']I know that in Action, if you're doing something regularly i.e. doing cycling for about 30-40 hours, you'd have to work towards a goal. So say you're doing cycling, you'd need to have an aim to achieve like the ability to cycle for 20 miles and back.[/quote]

Ok thanks! That really helps me out a lot. So I just need to discuss my "goals" in my CAS reflections then?

[quote name='deissi' post='12812' date='Mar 12 2008, 10:05 PM']Aboo, what you're saying depends on your coordinator :) not everyone is so strict, thankfully![/quote]

But our coordinator doesn't have any say in the official IB rules for CAS, right? So if my hours match the IB standards but not my coordinator's (at least 50 hours in each category), I'll still be okay as far as getting my diploma?

• Like 1

[quote name='Jessie0390' post='12879' date='Mar 13 2008, 04:37 AM']But our coordinator doesn't have any say in the official IB rules for CAS, right? So if my hours match the IB standards but not my coordinator's (at least 50 hours in each category), I'll still be okay as far as getting my diploma?[/quote]
I think the coordinator does have some say. My coordinator has complete ability to accept or reject activities we do.

• 1 year later...