Sources for History EE - how many?

Julia B.

Hi there!

My EE is about Robin Hood ("To what extent was Robin Hood real?"), and while I didn't have trouble finding sources, they were all too expensive and I only bought 3. My library had NO books about him, so I had to order mine online. They're great, very detailed, with insight, facts, timelines and whatnot. One of them even has a poem from the 1400s, the first written account of Robin. Besides the 3 books, I have about 5 reliable websites I'm drawing information from.

My question is, how many book sources and internet sources do we usually need? I emailed my supervisor, but he didn't answer my question, only said I was "on the right track".

Thank you!

2 main sources (which I'd suggest you use the books, so its easier for you in the section for evaluating sources) and then as many more as you can find. I had around 8 books I think. Books are generally advised to be used over websites, but it is okay if you can't find more. Just make sure if you're using websites that you're using reputed websites. (Not like wikipedia/blogs/forums etc)

Edited by ShootingStars

Although I am not doing my EE in history, I'll just let you know what I saw in this EE handbook I have. If you have only a handful of sources, it can reflect a lack of planning for the reader, the EE examiner. That could hurt your mart for criterion C: investigation (maximum 4 points). It says "an imaginative range of appropriate sources has been consulted, or data has been gathered, and relevant material has been carefully selected. The investigation has been well planned". That's to achieve a mark of four (providing that your RQ (research question) lends itself to a systematic investigation in the subject in which the essay is registered. Otherwise, the maximum level that can be awarded for this criterion is 2)

Good luck! :)

Edited by egr12resa

• 8 years later...