Chemistry HL vs. Physics HL

canadian9al

So in a couple of weeks i'll be going back to school and i'm going into the 11th grade.

This goes out to anybody who can't decide whether they wanna take Chemistry or Physics for their Group 4 subject. And in my case, HL.

For those who have already gone through IB or are half way through it, or have decided their subjects already, i just want to know a couple of things that might help me in choosing:

1. What made you pick Physics/Chemistry?

2. If you've already gone through at least a year of Chemistry/Physics HL.... would you say it's really hard? And what are the sorts of things you are asked to do for projects? Or in class...?

I'm actually really interested in the study of the universe, but to me physics always seemed to be a mix of Math, Biology and Chemistry all in one... and it just kept getting harder and harder to understand. I'm already taking Math SL and i don't think im interested in biology at all since it is mostly memorization of terms and stuff and i hate disecting poor innocent animals :(

As for chemistry, i've heard you do a lot of mixing and chemistry experiments in class? I enjoy doing those, and interacting with my lab partner... is it like that in IB?

I'd appreciate the feedback :D

1. I chose both of them because I wanted to study Chemical Engineering when I chose my subjects. I chose to drop Chem HL to SL, and stick with Phy HL because that time Chem HL was so difficult for me and I realised Physics was more required than Chemistry was for Engineering.

2. I went through like 2 months of Chemistry HL and it was so difficult for me. I can manage Physics HL.

we don't have projects. we only study and do experiments. then there's just this group 4 project but don't worry about it, your school will explain it to you.

physics is not a mix of math, bio and chem. physics is physics, but there are some chapters related to bio and chem, but are still physics. and most chapters require you to calculate and use formula that's why it's related to math.

I don't like biology too, high 5.

we do a LOT of experiments in BOTH physics and chem. we do one every week. if your class is big enough, you get to do the experiment in groups. but if your class is very small (like 4 people in the class, like in my chem class) you get to do it individually. idk about your school though. tbh I enjoy chem experiments more than physics experiments, and it's easier to account for the limitations and improvements in chem; but I might be biased because I've done a lot more chemistry experiments than physics experiments. they're the same...both are fun.

I think Physics is easier, but I might be again biased because I like Maths a lot and I get to calculate a lot more in Physics than in Chem.

I had a similar dilemma to you. I couldn't choose between HL Chem or physics. There are a lot of pros and cons for each. Is there one in particular that will help you later in life?

1. I picked physics for a number of reasons. I knew my older brother would be able to help me if things got TOO tough, because he did physics in high school. And I find physics extremely interesting... well.. most of it :P. Another reason is that I really just did not want to do chemistry. Statistically speaking, physics is harder, and the grade boundaries are (I think) lower, because of this.

2. Have a look at the syllabus for each subject. That pretty much tells you everything you need to know. I think I should have done that before deciding. Physics gets REALLY hard, as does Chemistry. And it's not as if you can rote learn everything, you actually need to understand and comprehend the work. It's really up to you, and during the first year of IB you can always switch early on. Physics labs aren't too interesting, and are a lot easier than Chemistry labs <-- I'm just comparing my practicals to my HL Chem friends' pracs.

Good luck to you :)

Both physics and chem involve lots and lots of labs, biology does too as a matter of fact. (And in IB Biology, you need A LOT more than just memorization, btw.)

I have heard that chem is a more scoring subject than physics, and that physics has a huge jump between 10th grade level and IB level. But I really think its important that you choose the subject you enjoy more. Maybe flick through textbooks in both and make your decision while doing so? Look through the syllabuses and imagine which topics you'd rather study..

I'd say in both these subjects its important to have good teachers. Especially in physics, understanding is so important. So talk to people who are in the second year of IB at your school/or graduated before and ask them for advice. Then, if you can't choose based on interest in the subject, consider going with the subject with the better teacher.

P.S. Also, think about what you want to study at university and thus what makes more sense to study now/what would you help you in the career you wish to take. For example, for engineering, HL Math and HL Physics may be required. A check up on universities requirements never hurts :)

Unless you plan to do something unrelated to science, in which case, why are you taking a science at HL? Unless you have a genuine passion for science or found no other subject to take at HL, I understand that, of course. :P

Good luck!

• 7 months later...

I initially took Physics HL and Chem HL.

I'm so glad I dropped Chem HL, it seems really hard, and really boring!

While physics hl can be a pain at times, nothing is impossible to understand, and you also learn some interesting things! (Quantum mechanics, projectile motion)

But then there are topics that take a long time to really grasp (Electromagnetism, electromagnetic induction :S)

Some topics aren't harder on HL, so it's just more stuff to know.