What is the difference between HL, SL, Studies? Which to take?

Guest El_Nano

Guys by the way....READ THE IBO WEBSITE the HIGHEST LEVEL of IB maths is clearly stated as FURTHER MATHS HL not Further maths sl....Ive been reading all holiday as I AM looking for the right math choice for me ext year.

As far as I know Further Maths has been an HL course for not that long (2 years maybe), so if you read some older topics when it was an SL course, you might find people state exactly that :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Can I just jump in here and say that you should keep your uni course in mind before taking Math Studies as some of them don't accept studies as a valid maths subject. Math SL would always be better methinks

yea but if Oxbridge are fine with studies I doubt any other Uni would care, unless you're going into some scientific or math related field. If you're going for social sciences then meh just take studies...

Not all social sciences are fine with maths studies. Subjects like economics require HL and even psychology requires SL.

Can I just jump in here and say that you should keep your uni course in mind before taking Math Studies as some of them don't accept studies as a valid maths subject. Math SL would always be better methinks

yea but if Oxbridge are fine with studies I doubt any other Uni would care, unless you're going into some scientific or math related field. If you're going for social sciences then meh just take studies...

Not all social sciences are fine with maths studies. Subjects like economics require HL and even psychology requires SL.

That's true, but in the UK, Psychology is a Science more than a Social Science. And Economics is very Maths based. It is really important to check the entry requirements for the degree you apply for before choosing your subjects. And sometimes, going a level higher than necessary may be beneficial e.g. I'm doing a Business Studies degree. I have taken SL (got a 5, unfortunately). Some people have taken Studies/not taken Maths at A-level, and it wasn't a requirement for entry, but they're now struggling big time with financial maths that I'm doing very well in, partially thanks to my background in SL maths. So think not only of entry requirements, but also what the course will require of you. 

• 3 years later...

I don’t know whether I should take Maths either HL or SL. I’ve always had great marks but in my native language and I’m currently doing the 10th grade ( not the MYP) and I’m afraid of being pretty difficult ( I’m referring to Maths HL). 

• 9 months later...
  • kw0573 locked this topic