What is the difference between HL, SL, Studies? Which to take?

Guest El_Nano

Guest El_Nano

Yup cabso is right...you are truly good at this.!!......I also had a question for you...Becuase I moved a few American schools... and i was never good at maths..actually is the subject i hate coz im really bad at it...but i was wondering if you could still get your IB diploma if you take the lowest Math class.which is Math SL I bet...even tough it was even more confusing with the amercan formula that had a bigger varitey of levels including calculus...and all of that....

There are 4 levels of Maths:

Maths Studies SL

Maths SL

Maths HL

Further Maths SL

Further Maths as we said can only taken along side another maths subject. The easiest level is Maths Studies. You definitely will still get your diploma with Maths Studies (because otherwise they wouldn't offer it as a subject) as long as you get the passing grades and have the required 3 HL and 3 SL subjects and completed CAS, TOK and EE.

Can I just jump in here and say that you should keep your uni course in mind before taking Math Studies as some of them don't accept studies as a valid maths subject. Math SL would always be better methinks

• Like 1

Can I just jump in here and say that you should keep your uni course in mind before taking Math Studies as some of them don't accept studies as a valid maths subject. Math SL would always be better methinks

yea but if Oxbridge are fine with studies I doubt any other Uni would care, unless you're going into some scientific or math related field. If you're going for social sciences then meh just take studies...

i've been uni hunting all summer and from what i saw the most UK universitys ask for is math SL, however most so require sl at least, so its the safer choice. i also know that german universities ask for a minimum of math sl.

• Like 1

Ok from the english system point of view (sorry for those not in the english education system!)

Maths Studies is approximately equal in standard to GCSE Higher Level Maths (if not just beyond)

Maths SL is at a level between AS Maths and Maths A2.

Maths HL is slightly beyond Maths A2 but not as hard as Further Maths A Level, although it contains some topics from FM.

Further Maths SL is equivalent to Further Maths A level (!)

Personally, I am taking Maths HL and it is quite challenging, a big jump from GCSE Higher but nonetheless its interesting!

If you have done GCSE, what you take depends on what grade you got and your interest in Maths.

Dont go for Maths HL or above if you havent got an A* at GSCE or an A with a REAL passion for Maths!

Just my personal opinion!

• Like 5

You can also do HL Maths for the first year and then drop down into SL. All the people who did this at my school have gotten very near or 100% on tests (the questions taken from past exams), and one of them has been to 4 maths classes all year and is on 100% for all test and portfolios this year, and that is an awefully large amount of classes missed considering we start our school year in Febuary. But the catch is that you have to be able to keep up with HL in IB1.

In australia no uni course needs HL Maths. And the only courses that need SL are Commerce-ishes and Science-nesses

You can also do HL Maths for the first year and then drop down into SL. All the people who did this at my school have gotten very near or 100% on tests (the questions taken from past exams), and one of them has been to 4 maths classes all year and is on 100% for all test and portfolios this year, and that is an awefully large amount of classes missed considering we start our school year in Febuary. But the catch is that you have to be able to keep up with HL in IB1.

In australia no uni course needs HL Maths. And the only courses that need SL are Commerce-ishes and Science-nesses

yea I did that, and it did really help for methods on my 2nd year. but you're right it was painful trying to keep up with the HL material :lol: I didn't get higher than a 4 on it :D

Guest AirRon23

yeah most universities in America want Math 2 SL for engineering, but then you have to take some supplement math depending on which major you take. Math HL or Further HL covers a lot of the stuff needed in uni level, but some people say they still have to take extra courses in college.

Guest croixvee

it really was ahuge disadvantage for me to come from an american school before doing the IB. anyway, i take Maths SL Methods... really now, maths studies may be easier but why slack off in IB? right?

I decided to change from Standard to Studies in a moment of brilliance. I cut out all engineering (and fortunately accounting) options for my tertiary studies, but I opened myself to many others. I'm not feeling too upset about the loss - I was floundering in a "sea of choices" where as now I know exactly what I want to do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • kw0573 locked this topic