What is "Pre-IB"?

haroooon

Hey everyone, I'ma 2nd year IB student as of September and I'll be applying to college very soon in Sweden.

In Sweden you get extra points for taking specific subjects and there's also a section for extra points if you've

done the "pre-IB". Myself I've done the MYP (two year middle years program) but is this the same thing?

Thanks.

Yeah I also did pre-IB. It wasn't the MYP but a program that the school board created. It was a two year program for me. To be honest it wasn't that much different from the regular program except for the math courses which were about a year ahead in material of the regular math courses. Other than that it wasn't very different, it was just that they expected more of you because you're in pre-IB and all that. It cut down the size of the IB class considerably though :P We went from 110 pre-IB students to 65 in IB1.

Yeah I also did pre-IB. It wasn't the MYP but a program that the school board created. It was a two year program for me. To be honest it wasn't that much different from the regular program except for the math courses which were about a year ahead in material of the regular math courses. Other than that it wasn't very different, it was just that they expected more of you because you're in pre-IB and all that. It cut down the size of the IB class considerably though :P We went from 110 pre-IB students to 65 in IB1.

My pre-IB experience was very similar. The only difference is that for my class the school took a gamble and admitted some 150+ students into the program during my first year. That was eventually whittled down to around 100 lol. They learned from their mistake. XD

Edited by JoeGuff

In my school Pre-IB was the Middle Years Program. Either you started in 6th grade at one of the middle schools or at 9th grade at the high school where IB is offered (or whichever year you got accepted into lol). I started in the middle school unfortunately. In middle school it was nothing special at all except that you took classes that were a bit more difficult and had to take a foreign language, and the teachers expected more from you. It was the same in 9th and 10th grade except we had to do the Personal Project (if you never had to do one, consider yourself lucky!). You took harder classes and had more work but that was it. It caused several people to drop IB, but some of those that probably should have dropped IB stuck around anyways for IB1, much to their dismay.

Pre-IB's nothing. I hear 9th grade Pre-IB kids talking about how much they hate their English teacher because they have to write a 2 page response on a theme to a book and I laugh. XD

My school had a year of Pre-IB, and like many have said, it really just weeds out people who can't hack IB. Our grade went from 108 down to 77, and we currently (in our final year of diploma) have 24 certificate candidates. In my school, Pre-IB was to transition from mainstream Australian schooling into IB, and we got used to the study habits and ways of teaching of the IB.

• 7 months later...

In my county, MYP is not required (as there is only one school that offers it) but you must get accepted after middle school and then go through the Pre-IB which is 9th and 10th grade, to be able to continue in the Diploma Program. Those two years are just basically more advanced classes and weeding out the slackers. We went from 150 to 120ish in those two years. We learned about what we'd be doing in the Program and prepared for it.

For me, pre-IB was a good confidence builder. Those years, I aced every class. They said I was prepared.. blah blah blah but then I got into the program. BIG wake up call. Started actually getting to know about the exams and requirements . So i guess its a good preamble to the actual program because it gave a glance of what i would have to do or maybe it was just my school that handledit like that..

I think it depends between schools and countries.

My school runs MYP from grades 6-10. There is also IGCSEs in grades 9 and 10 that are compulsory for all students.

Many other schools in india offer the local curriculums like ICSE / SSC / CBSE /various state boards in grades 9 and 10 and then students either continue in the Indian System or shift to IB

Edited by ananya.agrawal95

Guest Positron

As I've understood pre-IB is just a prepatory year for IB, which serves several purposes:

- In many (most?) countries highschool is usually 3 years. As IB is only 2 years, an additional pre-year has been added.

- In countries where English is not an official language, many of the students taking IB have never studied in English before. Pre-IB is especially useful for these students.

- Gives the school the possibility to more accurately asses whether or not you will be able to handle IB.

- Shows you how IB works and how you should work in IB

- Gives you a taste of IB, you'll see if it's actually for you.

Edited by Positron

I've always assumed that pre-IB is because many schools fail to prepare you rigorously enough to have the background knowledge for IB. In my opinion this is a failing of the normal programme of those schools, there shouldn't need to be a special pre-IB programme! Everybody should be given that level of education. Regardless of what you want to go on to do.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Hi!

I am in a big dilemma. It would be great if someone can help me in taking a decision. I am studying in Sweden.

Currently, I am studying MYP 9 and I would like to pursue IB Diploma program. But I am not able to decide if I should go for MYP 10 or Pre-IB program. If I go for MYP 10, then I need to continue the school where I am currently studying. But for IB DP program, I would like to change my school, which doesn't offer MYP 10 but Pre-IB program, as that school is only recognized for Diploma program and not for the middle year program.

I would really like to know the + and - of both the programs and will it be good to move to the school in level 1 where you want to proceed for level 2 and level 3.

Thanks in advance!