TOK Presentation: To what extent does the unknown restrain us from knowledge?

ryuuoo

Hi!

So I have my TOK presentation next week and I have thought about talking about how the unknown prevents us from actually learning growing as human beings.

I will explain myself:

For example, shocking images in art, we are blinded by the "shockness" of it all, and truthfully, we are only "blown away" because as a society we are not used to that type of experiences. All our day to day life is very bland and basic, both visually, sonically... So when we are exposed to "shocking" images, sounds, experiences we are unable to see past the initial "view". So we are afraid. I suppose you could relate it to phobias...

I will be explaining it by relating my idea to:

1. Art

2. Society

In society, for example, we block out so many people for just dressing in a manner that would seen as "shocking". Or for behaving in a different way to the majority of society. - I will be linking it to the LGBT community.

So I want to end it with the point that fear of the unknown is what restrains us from knowing and evolving as human beings.

I don´t know if I have explained it well enough, its just a basic idea... Do you think I have enough Knowledge issues here?

Im sorry about my english, Im spanish!

Thank you!

Hi!

So I have my TOK presentation next week and I have thought about talking about how the unknown prevents us from actually learning growing as human beings.

I will explain myself:

For example, shocking images in art, we are blinded by the "shockness" of it all, and truthfully, we are only "blown away" because as a society we are not used to that type of experiences. All our day to day life is very bland and basic, both visually, sonically... So when we are exposed to "shocking" images, sounds, experiences we are unable to see past the initial "view". So we are afraid. I suppose you could relate it to phobias...

I will be explaining it by relating my idea to:

1. Art

2. Society

In society, for example, we block out so many people for just dressing in a manner that would seen as "shocking". Or for behaving in a different way to the majority of society. - I will be linking it to the LGBT community.

So I want to end it with the point that fear of the unknown is what restrains us from knowing and evolving as human beings.

I don´t know if I have explained it well enough, its just a basic idea... Do you think I have enough Knowledge issues here?

Im sorry about my english, Im spanish!

Thank you!

Hello,

I think that's a very interesting concept, the idea that we are afraid to know. To be afraid of something, that something must pose a threat and it is on this point that I disagree with your thesis. I see it more of rejecting or inability to see the truth though flawed inductive reasoning rather than an act of protection which you imply. In a way the two are very similar and can be seen as the same thing. People reject homosexuals because they do not fit in with the 'norms' of society, which points towards flawed inductive reasoning. However, some people do it to protect certain ideals which could fit your thesis and makes the matter even more complex.

For simplicity's sake, I think you should go down the path of exploring the value and limitations of inductive reasoning and your theory should be introduced near the end as an alternative perspective. Remember you should have one main knowledge issue in which you draw sub-/derived knowledge issues from the main idea (). Your 'abstract art' and 'LGTB community' examples are valid real life situations. However, you must answer the knowledge issue; like in an essay, you should make a statement. So the question isn't really whether you have enough knowledge issues, the question is what is your knowledge issue (the big topic title) and have you structured your presentation into answering the different perspectives through the use of claims and counter claims. The link above should help you. I think your ideas and real life scenarios are fine, its just how are you going to structure and present it.