Thermometric Titration: calculation.

di27

Aim: The aim is to determine the concentrations of two acids and consequently the enthalpy of neutralisation for each reaction.

Chemicals:

• NaOH 1M (standardised)
  • HCl 2.0 M
  • CH3COOH 2.0 M

So the formulae would be:

NaOH + HCl --> NaCl + H20

NaOH + CH3COOH --> NaCH3COO + H2O

So basically, I added 50 cm3 of NaOH to a polystyrene cup and then put the HCl in the burette. I added successive portions of 5cm3 and saw the temperature until I reached 50cm3 of HCl

Did the same for CH3COOH.

Now we have to find the enthalpy of neutralisation values

Questions to answer

• The enthalpy of neutralisation of a strong acid/base is constant. Why is the value constant?
  • Experimental results for HCL are usually a little less negative than the literature value. Suggest two reasons for this.
  • Suggest a reason why the enthalpies of neutralisation for the reactions involving weak acids and weak bases are always less negative than for strong acids and bases.

I think I have to use the formula: Q=mc/_\T but for the m = mass of NaOH + HCl but for the mass of HCl, do I use the volume until it reaches the maximum temperature or do I use 50cm3?

Aim: The aim is to determine the concentrations of two acids and consequently the enthalpy of neutralisation for each reaction.

Chemicals:

• NaOH 1M (standardised)
  • HCl 2.0 M
  • CH3COOH 2.0 M

So basically, I added 50 cm3 of NaOH to a polystyrene cup and then put the HCl in the burette. I added successive portions of 5cm3 and saw the temperature until I reached 50cm3 of HCl

Questions to answer

• The enthalpy of neutralisation of a strong acid/base is constant. Why is the value constant?
  • Experimental results for HCL are usually a little less negative than the literature value. Suggest two reasons for this.
  • Suggest a reason why the enthalpies of neutralisation for the reactions involving weak acids and weak bases are always less negative than for strong acids and bases.

I think I have to use the formula: Q=mc/_\T but for the m = mass of NaOH + HCl but for the mass of HCl, do I use the volume until it reaches the maximum temperature or do I use 50cm3?

1. We make the assumption that strong acids and strong alkalis are fully ionised in solution, and that the ions behave independently of each other. For example, dilute hydrochloric acid contains hydrogen ions and chloride ions in solution. Sodium hydroxide solution consists of sodium ions and hydroxide ions in solution.

The equation for any strong acid being neutralised by a strong alkali is essentially just a reaction between hydrogen ions and hydroxide ions to make water. The other ions present (sodium and chloride, for example) are just spectator ions, taking no part in the reaction.

The full equation for the reaction between hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide solution is:

but what is actually happening is:

H+ + OH- --> H2O

If the reaction is the same in each case of a strong acid and a strong alkali, then the enthalpy changes are similar. Even with 2M of HCl and 1M of NaOH in your experiment, since NaOH becomes the limiting reagent, therefore the enthalpy change is the same.

2. There may be heat loss throughout the process causing the calculated value to be less exothermic. However, if you draw a graph and extrapolate the actual heat when added then it shouldn't be that far away from the literature value. Can't exactly think of another reason now, I'll add another one when it comes to me..

3. Weak acids give less negative values since they only partially dissociate. For example CH3COOH, only around 4% dissociates into its ions thus the enthalpy of neutralisation is less exothermic and the overall reaction will therefore be more endothermic as more energy is needed to break the bonds.

Good luck, hope that helped! :D

• Like 1

Chemicals:

• NaOH 1M (standardised)
  • HCl 2.0 M
  • CH3COOH 2.0 M

Questions to answer

1. We make the assumption that strong acids and strong alkalis are fully ionised in solution, and that the ions behave independently of each other. For example, dilute hydrochloric acid contains hydrogen ions and chloride ions in solution. Sodium hydroxide solution consists of sodium ions and hydroxide ions in solution.

The equation for any strong acid being neutralised by a strong alkali is essentially just a reaction between hydrogen ions and hydroxide ions to make water. The other ions present (sodium and chloride, for example) are just spectator ions, taking no part in the reaction.

The full equation for the reaction between hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide solution is:

H+ + OH- --> H2O

If the reaction is the same in each case of a strong acid and a strong alkali, then the enthalpy changes are similar. Even with 2M of HCl and 1M of NaOH in your experiment, since NaOH becomes the limiting reagent, therefore the enthalpy change is the same.

2. There may be heat loss throughout the process causing the calculated value to be less exothermic. However, if you draw a graph and extrapolate the actual heat when added then it shouldn't be that far away from the literature value. Can't exactly think of another reason now, I'll add another one when it comes to me..

3. Weak acids give less negative values since they only partially dissociate. For example CH3COOH, only around 4% dissociates into its ions thus the enthalpy of neutralisation is less exothermic and the overall reaction will therefore be more endothermic as more energy is needed to break the bonds.

WOW! OMG thank you sooo much!! :) That really helped and I actually got it! :) haha

also, that means the results have to be exothermic right? But then the results I get aren't negative values...they're positive, unless I just need to add a negative sign.

So,

Calculations

NaOH + HCl --> NaCl + H2O

Conc. 1.00 1.67

Vol. 0.05 0.03

n 0.05 0.05 0.05 0.05

So the concentration of HCl used was 1.67 M

Q = m x c x ∆T

Q = [(50+30) ÷1000] x 4.18 x 8.3

Q = 2.78÷0.05

Q = 55.5 kJmol-1

Conc. 1.00 1.54

Vol. 0.05 0.0325

n 0.05 0.05 0.05 0.05

So the concentration of CH3COOH used was 1.54 M

Q = m x c x ∆T

Q = [(50+32.5) ÷1000] x 4.18 x 8

Q = 2.76 ÷ 0.05

Q = 55.2 kJmol-1

So do I just add a negative sign to the Q value?

Edited by di27

Chemicals:

• NaOH 1M (standardised)
  • HCl 2.0 M
  • CH3COOH 2.0 M

Questions to answer

H+ + OH- --> H2O

WOW! OMG thank you sooo much!! :) That really helped and I actually got it! :) haha

also, that means the results have to be exothermic right? But then the results I get aren't negative values...they're positive, unless I just need to add a negative sign.

So,

Calculations

Conc. 1.00 1.67

Vol. 0.05 0.03

n 0.05 0.05 0.05 0.05

Q = m x c x ∆T

Q = 2.78÷0.05

Q = 55.5 kJmol-1

Conc. 1.00 1.54

Vol. 0.05 0.0325

n 0.05 0.05 0.05 0.05

Q = m x c x ∆T

Q = 2.76 ÷ 0.05

Q = 55.2 kJmol-1

Since the reaction is exothermic, and the change in temperature calculation is TINITIAL - TFINAL. The temperature of TFINAL should be higher than TINITIAL thus generating a negative value.

That is probably the reason why your overall enthalpy change is not negative, but since you didn't give the temperature values, I couldn't be certain.

Chemicals:

• NaOH 1M (standardised)
  • HCl 2.0 M
  • CH3COOH 2.0 M

Questions to answer

H+ + OH- --> H2O

So,

Calculations

Conc. 1.00 1.67

Vol. 0.05 0.03

n 0.05 0.05 0.05 0.05

Q = m x c x ∆T

Q = 2.78÷0.05

Q = 55.5 kJmol-1

Conc. 1.00 1.54

Vol. 0.05 0.0325

n 0.05 0.05 0.05 0.05

Q = m x c x ∆T

Q = 2.76 ÷ 0.05

Q = 55.2 kJmol-1

Since the reaction is exothermic, and the change in temperature calculation is TINITIAL - TFINAL. The temperature of TFINAL should be higher than TINITIAL thus generating a negative value.

That is probably the reason why your overall enthalpy change is not negative, but since you didn't give the temperature values, I couldn't be certain.

Okay, wait. Lemme get this straight.

The initial temperature for NaOH was 23.7°C

And the maximum temperature it reached was 32°C

So the ∆T = 23.7-32 = -8.3

Is that right? So the final answer would be negative then. Right! Got it :) Thanks so much! :)

• 2 years later...