The Royal Wedding

gari

I am personally annoyed over all the press it's getting and how no one can shut up about it. >_<

Don't hate it, just don't like hearing about it again, and again, and again.... kind of like with Justin Beiber.

I'm half way on the otherside of the world and I can't avoid it.

Uh...who cares?

Seriously, the world is not going to stop moving.

Haha. I don't have any real nostalgia for the Royals myself, but maybe not the - hostility - for which others have shown an inclination. Certainly living in a Commonwealth country, there is plenty of media buzz to become a borderline annoyance. Plus it's drowning out my favourite news story for the past month: the election!

I also am surprised by the amount of coverage that it's gotten in the United States. I know they haven't the best record for acknowledging historical/social/political sentiments in other nations, but it seems like they've now forgotten even their own. =P

I watched a little bit of it this morning. Yeah, there's been a lot of hype about the wedding here in Canada, probably not as much as the UK though :P

I don't hate the wedding, it's nice that they are getting married and will (hopefully) be happy together. I just don't really care much for watching every second if it.

Guest Red XII

I think all the coverage it got is really quite silly. It really all boils down to two people getting married. Yes, they're technically royalty. No, royalty doesn't really hold much meaning anymore. Sure, decades ago, royalty was a big deal, but now it's more just a formal identity for a group of people that is a remnant of a bygone time. Most people are bored by the wedding ceremony in their friends' wedding (the reception is really the only part anyone cares about except for the family, if anyone), so it's quite ridiculous that suddenly people care about the wedding ceremony for two complete strangers that they never have and never will meet. Arbitrary titles and classifications don't suddenly make a wedding interesting. It's still just a wedding.

Yes, it's a good thing. Yes, it's good news. Yes, it's great for the people actually involved. No, there's no good reason for it to be as big of a deal as it was.

• 10 years later...