Movie For TOK

Guest hellokitty818

Guest hellokitty818

My teacher wants us to recommend a good movie that is very TOK based. Got any suggestions? We already watched the Truman show, the butterfly and the dumbbell, gatica, food inc, 12 angry men, and thank you for smoking.

Guest JimmyK

BLADERUNNER, Equilibrium, 1984, matrix, Inception

But I would stick myself to bladerunner or equilibrium. Bladerunner is quite an old film but it has loads of TOK. But equilibrium doesn't stay behind either ;)

Isn't any cerebral film a ToK film? =P

I will suggest some not-so-mainstream choices as some alternatives to the ones above, and I'm going to go with 2001: A Space Odyssey, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Bowling for Columbine, Control Room, excerpts of Triumph of the Will, The Secret in Their Eyes (El Secreto de Sus Ojos),

And if you really want to inspire hatred amongst your classmates, suggest something like Dogville or Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives. If you can get away with it, Trainspotting, 4 months 3 weeks 2 days, A History of Violence. If you want to really piss everyone off, Solaris (1972), Naked Lunch.

Everything on that list are solid, great films, with the exception of Naked Lunch.

Star Wars, The Matrix, Pi, A Beautiful Mind, 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, Gattaca, Artificial Intelligence, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and Groundhog Day.

Hi~

Can you give me some TOK points about Star War? because i am really addicted to it, then i can think of nothing except the characteristics.

Thanks...XD

Edited by Sandwich
Please don't use chatspeak.

Star Wars, The Matrix, Pi, A Beautiful Mind, 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, Gattaca, Artificial Intelligence, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and Groundhog Day.

Hi~

Can you give me some TOK points about Star War? because i am really addicted to it, then i can think of nothing except the characteristics.

Thanks...XD

Chaos vs Equilibrium

Human nature (vengeance, retaliation, greed for power)

Artificial Intelligence

etc etc

(just some points) ;)

Guest hellokitty818

wow thanks this was really helpful but can you tell me what aspects of Tok are in dogville, equilibrium, and Solaris??

Hi~

Thanks...XD

My ToK teacher shows Star Wars every year once we're done with IB exams because it deals with the Hero's Journey.

We watched parts of "The Corporation" for our perceptions and paradigms unit. (:

As well, we watched "What the Bleep do we know"

That was a really strange movie about thoughts, quantum mechanics (not very accurate), hormones, and emotions

Also some videos about Fermat's Last Theorem for mathematics, and String Theory for science.

Our teacher is into sort of complex/abstract theories. ;P

Most of this stuff can also be found on YouTube.

Not that I'm condoning watching it online

hypocrite.gif

wow thanks this was really helpful but can you tell me what aspects of Tok are in dogville, equilibrium, and Solaris??

Dogville has a lot in terms of ethics, human nature, good vs. evil. There are also very interesting implications on justice and sexuality.

Solaris deals about the ambiguity of reality, and again, human nature.

I'm not sure why I suggested those two; probably just trying to be cheeky. I'm not sure how impressed a class actually would be watching either of those two, but they're definitely worth checking out on your own.

I didn't recommend Equilibrium.

Inception is definetely a very good movie for TOK since everything is limited by the senses! For example, people usually need totems to identify if they are in reality, the present or not. But how can they know for real if they are only with an object? What's reality? Why the actions they do in one level affect others and why actions have other consequences? Why did Cobb thought his totem still worked even if he knew it should have lost its power because it was of her dead wife, Mal? BLAH BLAH BLAH...

In conclusion, you should see this movie! :blink:

Guest hellokitty818

Dogville has a lot in terms of ethics, human nature, good vs. evil. There are also very interesting implications on justice and sexuality.

I'm not sure why I suggested those two; probably just trying to be cheeky. I'm not sure how impressed a class actually would be watching either of those two, but they're definitely worth checking out on your own.

oh thanks..so you would not recommend me to watch those movies...then what do you suggest is the best?

oh thanks..so you would not recommend me to watch those movies...then what do you suggest is the best?

Not what I said >_> Highly recommended, all of them (except Naked Lunch), they're all fantastic; only thing is, they appeal to cinephiles more than your average 17-year-old. I threw in the disclaimer that they're less-than-mainstream choices in my first post.

I don't know, maybe your class is really open-minded. But compared to safe, mainstream fare mentioned above like Inception, The Matrix, and Star Wars, films like Uncle Boonmee are a quantum leap away.

Out of what I suggested above, I think Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Control Room are the most accessible. And everyone should watch 2001: A Space Odyssey anyways.