The Model UN Thread

davshere

heey

we have officially started our fundraising process -- we had a global day as our fundraiser

although we had to postpone it because of an unexpected holiday but the first half of the event was a success and the second is hopefully be the same!!

wish us luck :)

• 1 month later...

MUNs sound like fun, too bad there for high school students. we had a UN project and we had a mini MUN in our class this year and it was fun. we had really good food and we booked the school confrence room and dresses up as delegates instea of wearing our uniforms. can't wait till grade 9 when i can do a real MUN. so what committees will u have?

MUNs sound like fun, too bad there for high school students. we had a UN project and we had a mini MUN in our class this year and it was fun. we had really good food and we booked the school confrence room and dresses up as delegates instea of wearing our uniforms. can't wait till grade 9 when i can do a real MUN. so what committees will u have?

heey

we will be having the main committees: General Assembly (GA), Economic and Socail Council (ECOSOC), Human Rights (HR), Security Council (SC), Atomic Energy

But we are still not sure if we will open more specific councils like International Court of Justice (ICJ) or the Advisory Panel (AP) since this is our first year, but if we dont open them this year, they will be open in future years ;)

heey

we will be having the main committees: General Assembly (GA), Economic and Socail Council (ECOSOC), Human Rights (HR), Security Council (SC), Atomic Energy

But we are still not sure if we will open more specific councils like International Court of Justice (ICJ) or the Advisory Panel (AP) since this is our first year, but if we dont open them this year, they will be open in future years :P

lol, human rights...soo many memories....and a word of advice. if any delegate is persenting a video or something make sure to screen it. when we had to do our MUN thingy, someone howed a video and it had swaering nd was no appropraite ti show to a bucnh of 12-13 year olds and worse of all the principal and both vice principals were there, ;)

lol, human rights...soo many memories....and a word of advice. if any delegate is persenting a video or something make sure to screen it. when we had to do our MUN thingy, someone howed a video and it had swaering nd was no appropraite ti show to a bucnh of 12-13 year olds and worse of all the principal and both vice principals were there, ;)

loool thanks for the advice!!......ill make sure we watch and screen all the videos (if any) before they are showed in the council!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
heey guyz

if anyone has any advice or suggestions on anything in MUN planning plz tell us!!

and if anyone wants to be part of the organizing team or as a delegate in this MUN conference plz tell me!!

thanks for any help:D

Hey, your conference sounds really interesting! Unfortunately I'm afraid I will not make any trips this year because its my senior year and missing classes is really difficult.

But I can offer you some advice I you want any. These are the conferences that I have attended in the past:

Conferences in Brazil:

a) Sao Paulo MUN

b) Brazil MUN (in Rio de Janeiro)

Conferences in Mexico:

a) Two ASF MUN conferences (one in 2007 and one in last March earlier this year)

In Singapore: THIMUN Conference last year

In Panama: PANAMUN Conference

In the past I have gone to these conferences... There is simply too much about MUN conferences to simply give a general advice, so I you are interested in some of these conferences or on some general tips please just let me know what interests you more

• 2 weeks later...

Cool. I love MUN. I donno if this has been said before or not, but make sure to make agendas for the committees. Try and choose topics that are relevant to the age group you are working with and have a lot of background information. This will help stimulate some great convos.

Also, try to have chairs and co-chairs for each of the committees. They can moderate stuff and keep it all going.

You could also have awards. They are BIG motivators for students to actually buckle down and do some research into their countries and topics.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

i have been elected as a chairperson through an audition...but have never ever participated in any MUN conference.Attended EYPE as a delegate this april, but then, I don't know how different the actual experience is going to be (I have done my research and all, but they never talk about the ACTUAL experience...EYP was crazy!)

I think some training will be given to the elected chairs, but I really would like to know from you...what makes a great chair?

Thanks Mark, will keep that in mind...can you tell me more about the chairs? Like, in EYP, the chairs were completely crazy, they made us sing crazy songs for teambuilding in order to make us less shy and conscious. Does anything similar happen in MUN? Or is it more formal?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

For those of you who don't know, Model United Nations (MUN) is a essentially a simulation of the actual United Nations performed by and to students. The students who join MUN act as delegates of different countries across the globe, act according to their assigned nations' policies, and write, debate, pass/fail resolutions. Normally, schools with this program send some of their students off to conferences, and the most prestigious one is THIMUN (The Hague International Model United Nations)--at least, I THINK it's the most prestigious one. <3

And so, here's the real question: who among you IB students are in MUN (despite all the IB work!)? :D

And other questions: How long have you been in MUN? Did you join in by interest, peer pressure, parental force, required curriculum (yes, apparently some schools have MUN as another academic subject rather than an extracurricular activity)? How many and which conferences have you gone to? Add any more information if you'd like. :D

As for me, I've been in MUN since freshman year (I'm currently a junior). I initially joined by interest since my older sister was in it, and it seemed like a great experience according to her (it is!). :D I've gone to one conference in sophomore, THIMUN Singapore (This is somewhat like THIMUN Hague, but in Singapore; I'm not sure, but I think it's at a different level from THIMUN Hague. My school no longer goes to THIMUN Singapore). This year, I'll be going to IASIS (Better look this one up, I'm not too sure how to explain it) MUN! Whoo! XD

I'm a junior now, and I've been in MUN since 8th grade.

I think it's the best club because you do all the requirements of school, like CAS and extracurricular activities. It is also very relevant to real world issues. You don't feel like you're wasting time. I am terrified of public speaking, even now, but I love going to conferences. It's really exciting, especially when the question is something you care about.

And nerd humor is fun, it's the smartest kindf of humor. XD

Oh, and you meet tons of people which is really, really great.

• 4 months later...

I did a similar thing with a model EU and I found it very helpful. Even if colleges don't ask about it (I think they'd be impressed if you mentioned it, though, as it shows a general interest in affairs etc.) it does help you a lot with speaking and also formal arguing protocol. The ability to make rebuttals and to overcome nervousness by being put on the spot etc. really boosts your confidence.

I really enjoyed the one I did.

If you think you can possibly do both the work and the UN thing, why not?

Honestly, anything extracurricular is worth something to colleges as long as you enjoy it. It is a universal fact that colleges love a well-rounded student. But honestly, I'd only do it if you really liked it. So, maybe, take a crack at it and see if you can handle it and like it. If you don't even like it in the first place, don't go just for the sake of polishing up your college application; it'll just drag you down, in that case.

i got accepted to go to a MUN meeting in 3 weeks at some college.

is it worth going even tho u have a ton of work to do?

do colleges like it?

i'll be missing a day at school too.

If it is Mostar MUN conference, it's definitely worth coming. This is the third conference being hold here, it is really organized and professional. It can be very useful in your future applications, and you're gonna have a great time.

Hope to see you there. XD

Greetings from Mostar.

I wish I would have gone to the one in my city a month ago....a few of my friends went and all had positive things to say. They're not particularly fond of public speaking so they only spoke a couple times, but they still enjoyed the experience because they became more aware about countries around the world. They also made a lot of friends from other schools. If you have the time to do the work invovled, my advice would be to go because the more experiences you can gain, the better.

If it is Mostar MUN conference, it's definitely worth coming. This is the third conference being hold here, it is really organized and professional. It can be very useful in your future applications, and you're gonna have a great time.

Hope to see you there. XD

Greetings from Mostar.

no it's just a small global classrooms community one at a local college

• 1 month later...

I did MUN for two terms as part of CAS. It was brilliant for filling up 50 hours of creativity and service. This includes the trip to The hague international model united nations trip. I enjoyed most of MUN club and I do recommend it for anyone who is planning to study politics or anything PR related at university level. However, the trip did get a little boring towards the end as everything moves so slowly and resolutions seldom get passed. Its a great thing to talk about on your University interview though especially concerning teamwork and leadership skills.

I've done MUN for three years and have been to conferences in Russia and France. It's a great experience, and really enjoyable. It looks great on applications and is great for CAS. For this year's CAS you need to show evidence through a journal (this may be different depending on when you're graduating) that you have undertaken new challenges, engaged with issues of global importance and developed new skills - all of which can be applied to MUN.