How do you get a 7 in english hl?

ps99

Quite a good question which I want to know the answer to as well. :blum:

My school has had 7s, but it's quite rare. The only thing I do know (my English teacher constantly says this) that to get a high grade, you should be able to write more than 10 pages for the final commentary (and not just 'stuff' but quality writing and content).

Yeh, pretty tough I'd say. You gotta have aced your internals (90% +) and you have to be able to write like a literary critical analyst. Know proper commentary structures, write fast, know techniques, sophisticated vocab, the whole lot. It's definitely not easy, for english A1 HL.

We'll be sitting the same exam this year :blum: good luck.

I say it's extremely difficult. In the May 2010 statistics posted by IB, only 2% of all candidates achieve a 7.

I'd say it is not worth it to work your butt off and still not yield the perfect score when you could achieve higher average scores in the rest of the 5 subjects. Up to you, but I think IB is a bit of a balancing act.

Good luck man, I'm in the Nov 2011 session as well~

P.S. If you're that keen on getting 7 though, you should take the advice of Abraham Lincoln - sharpen your axe before you cut the tree - that is, learn all the literary devices back to front and also be able spot them out very quickly.

Getting a 7 in HL English is actually really easy if you just go about it in the right fashion. In my honest opinion, English is a seriously over-thought subject. People invent all kinds of crazy essay structures, acronyms, themed writing tactics, and memorise reams of literary devices... but in reality, you can get a 7 just writing about it from the beginning to the end, explaining what it is that you're getting from the poetry/prose, or from your novels.

Random as it sounds, I think that if you're following a lengthy series of rules and patterns, you're trying way too hard.

All it's really about is just having a very sound understanding of what it is you're reading and be able to interpret it in a way that holds up to investigation. I often see people going "oh english is meant to be all about my interpretation but then I wrote my opinion and got told it's wrong, how the hell can you have a wrong opinion?!" (perhaps not in those words) and basically it's because a lot of people DO have interpretations that simply don't make sense and it's always because of misunderstanding as much as anything else. Kind-of like if I said "turn here", it would be equally correct to go left as to go right (interpretation), but the people who choose to interpret that by asking how the hell they can turn into a bat (aka totally misunderstand the meaning of the word 'turn') are wrong. Simple as.

I've always just sat down and written very straight-forwardly about what I see in front of me. Really, once you know what sorts of things to look for, that's all you ever have to do. If you can read something and comprehend it, then there's nothing to stop you writing except for the time limit :blum:

Personally I think there's no possible explanation other than over-thinking (or perhaps not having English as your mother tongue/main language), because even the more rubbish people in my HL English class were getting 6's and 7's -- actually people pick English because it's a doss and ups your marks. If you're taught correctly, which generally I'd say is being taught in any manner that doesn't require seriously over-thinking everything, it's a doddle. The best teachers are those who show you, through example, what to do and how to do it. Teachers who start dishing out elaborate essay 'formulas' are both over-complicating it and also missing the point.

• Like 7