Physics HL IA - Pendulum

Kat613

Hi,

I was given a Physics IA, but I was absent the day the teacher introduced it, so I don't realy know what I'm doing. Are there any standard IA's? The idea was that we make apendulum and change the lengths and measure the time it takes the pendulum to complete one swing. And then something about the period.

Does anyone know what I should be investigating? ;)

Thanks!

You should be looking at the chapter on SHM ( simple harmonic motion) the time taken for a complete oscillation is known as the Period you have to find the relationship between T and L.. the relationship is T = 2(pie) sqrt(L/g).. Do you know how this relation comes up? In the experiment you can take different length strings and see how the it relates to the time taken. You should take the time for 20 oscillations and then divide the time by 20 because taking one oscillation will lead to a lot of errors.

Does that answer your question?

• Like 1

*equation- Yes as an HL student i think you should. You can show how the equation comes to that in the background.

*variables-

the controlled variable will be the mass of the pendulum,

the independent will be the length

the dependent will be the time..

T^2 is proportional to L. so drawing a graph of T^2 against L should give you a straight line whereas T against L should give you a curve. Well look at the curve and conclude. see how the length affects the period.

• Like 2