Eng A1 EE-Greek Mythology in Modern Literature

NightWings

I've decided to do my EE in English A1. I wanted to look at Greek mythology in modern literature, in particular pop culture literature, but I need some advice with the details.

The books I have come up with so far are

- the Harry Potter series,

- Percy Jackson series.

I'd like a third book but I dont know what else to use. I was thinking of Narnia, but I dont know if it counts as modern literature as it was written during WWI. Any ideas on similar books I could look at?

Also I'm not really sure how to narrow down my topic. I know its really broad right now, I'm just not sure what particular aspects I could look at. Any ideas?

Thanks.

My friend analyzed the witches in Narnia about 4 years ago... so I think you can use Narnia

You'll definitely have to narrow down your topic. You could right thousands of pages on mythology in the books. Maybe you could narrow it down to analyzing the Greek mythology is specific characters, creatures/animals that appear, setting/surroundings... and than analyze how each authors literary devices or whatever that they use corresponds to typical Greek mythology?

I dunno if what I just said made any sense, but hope you can figure it out :yes:

I'd also be careful about how many books you're analysing. Either they're poor examples of Greek Mythology being in books or you're setting yourself a very high target. The EE is about quality, mostly, so it's better to pull out and thoroughly analyse EVERY thing related to greek mythology in one book than overwhelm yourself and miss things when doing loads of books. Especially when it comes to a series, that's an epic amount of material to go through. I don't know if you could treat the subject thoroughly enough in just 4000 words and make excellent points, missing out nothing, in such a vast number of books.

Also if you do more than one book it's a good idea to have a bit of compare and contrast. What you don't want to do is write too much of a narrative EE, just picking out examples of Mythology in book A and in book B, it'd be better if you had some points to tie them together. So it might be an idea to try and think of those when deciding which texts to use.