Creation of IBS

Julie

I read the thread about who created IBS, but I was surprised to see that a bunch of the moderators/admins/whatever are currently in IB. How is it that they (you guys) got to that position? Did you help finance the site, create new things, etc.? Just pure curiosity... cause I know IBS is older than some of the people in charge so I was confused

I don't know much about this but from my knowledge, Graeme, ~Lc~ and Ruan Chun Xian started the forum. Graeme is the one who deals with most of the financial business, though. Then as the forum expanded, they got some members to help them in moderation. Thus we had some moderators and supervisors besides the super admin and administrators. As the time went by and as they graduated from IB and went to uni, some moderators couldn't help with modding anymore and they got to resign (the IBS Alumni). I think some ex-staff members got to be VIP's back, though. Thus the staff veterans were seeking for new mods to replace them. Sooo here we are, the new mods who are still fighting in IB. The older and more experienced staff members are still committed to contribute, though. So they still spend some time on IBS even though they are busy with their jobs or studies at uni.

Alright let me make this clear so that future keenos who want to take on the reigns after the guys we have now can know how to go about doing this.

Hien, Graeme and myself were on a forum called TSR where we met and spent a stupid amount of time helping others with their work. Like ridiculous! Hien and myself might have looked over at least 50 essays that few months. Graeme had an idea of putting up sample works online so students can access them. But it was too expensive, and we didn't have any control over the IB forum on TSR which we ran anyway. So he decided to have a forum of our own instead. We started small, and expanded into all the sub forums you see now!

The philosophy we had, was give a little to receive the help we've provided. So if you want the files, you need to make enough posts to help others before we allow you to access them. If you don't have time, then financial contribution is the way to go.

It's hard to stay motivated to help IBers when it's so far in your own past. So we look into getting IB students on our mod team who we know will be dedicated in keeping the forum clean and always giving out advice. Which is why we got Austin and Desy. They went through a selection processes earlier in the end of September.

If you are keen enough to want to be considered for modship you need to:

1. Show us you know what a good/bad post is by reporting the bad ones

2. There needs to be a need for another member of staff (i.e more traffic)

3. You need to be active enough on the forum.

A moderator should be both sensible in posting, but more importantly active enough to know the in and out of the forum.

Hope that clarifies things :)

• Like 6

Very cool... thanks for that info. Makes more sense now.

In the past month I've really grown to love IBS, so I'm gonna try and stay active in it after I graduate...

what do you mean: reporting bad quotes? you mean report quotes that are bad advice, rude, etc.?

what do you mean: reporting bad quotes? you mean report quotes that are bad advice, rude, etc.?

Yes. You don't neccesarliy have to report any posts that have capslock, wierd fonts, etc. we can deal with that although it would be nice to notify us. Repoting should mainly be used for seeing a post with content such as giving away answers for a portfolio, obvious spam posts, rude and offsensive posts, blatant discrimination, etc. You can see more information here: http://www.ibsurvival.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

• Like 1

Just thought I would chime in (because I'm procrastinating again!).

First of all, I want to stress that Elsa (~Lc~) and Hien (Ruan Chun Xian) are the only reason this site really became a reality. It was first created after I spent hours and hours and more hours creating various notes for subjects in order to help students in my class. My year at school were the first to sit the IB so most of the teachers were still a bit dodgy when it came to the details of IB assessments, etc. I took it upon myself to do the research and eventually built up a database of various things (curriculum, notes, samples, etc). I've always felt that people should have access to these things. Initially we were just giving out things for free, but like most things, it costs money to provide certain services. We have almost 5GB of files here and the site takes up quite a lot of bandwidth. In fact, the growth recently means that I will probably have to expand a bit (which I've put some money aside for).

There are still some big ideas I have about further developing the site, but I first have to finish my next set of exams! Then I can spend some more time here and add some new features. If you have any queries or ideas, please let me know!

Edited by Graeme
Test 2
  • Like 5

Oh cool...

You're thinking about expanding the site? Is it possible for people to give/donate money to that idea? 'Cause I'm gonna be working next year and it just gave me that idea about something to give money to <_<

At the moment, we don't need money so don't worry about that! Ideas, on the other hand, are always welcome. If you think that IB Survival is missing a feature, or something that could be improved, please let us know!

• Like 1

In the past month I've really grown to love IBS, so I'm gonna try and stay active in it after I graduate...

Basically, anything that breaks any of the forum rules, which Austen has ever so kindly already explained. The thing with us is, because we don't have regular members who report bad posts, we need to go through almost every new post/thread made to make sure the forum is tidy and spam less :) it's a difficult job and I can't thank Austen and Desy enough for being so good at it!

Graeme: Thanks for the kind words :blum:

• Like 1

Basically, anything that breaks any of the forum rules, which Austen has ever so kindly already explained. The thing with us is, because we don't have regular members who report bad posts, we need to go through almost every new post/thread made to make sure the forum is tidy and spam less :austin: it's a difficult job and I can't thank Austen and Desy enough for being so good at it!

Graeme: Thanks for the kind words :panic:

I need to find a way to reward people for reporting in order to encourage it.

At the same time, you don't want to encourage spamming the report button. May I suggest some kind of points system? I'm sure there are many mods out there for IPB, and we could maybe use these points to 'buy' name changes, etc? You get x amount of points if a moderator finds a report in which the thread reported has actually broken the rules?

Might be a tad pointless though, as I mean if I see something wrong, i'll report it anyway, and I suspect others will do the same.

• 3 weeks later...