Latin HL

Imma Be

I didn't do it for IB, but I used to do Latin as a self-taught subject (ugghhghgh) and in my opinion with Latin you just have to memorise it. Memorise vocab, memorise declensions and practice decoding other people's Latin. I had an excellent book at one point which is basically some book an ex-Latin teacher put together himself, but it has the Latin, room for your translation, vocab help, advice AND the real translation, english words to help you learn, information about declensions and what declensions etc. individual words are in ... I mean, it did help that they were for our set texts, but they were damn good books! They even helped you learn skills in literary criticism, weirdly enough. Writing essays about effective use of the Latin language just like for English Lit papers, it was weird :)

Even if they're not for your set texts, I found these really helped me improve my Latin with recognising word orders and having to put it all into practice. I just dug out my old one and found the guy's website for you:

http://www.blue-valleys.com/web/classicalworkbooks/default.asp

I think he prints them off himself, they're just ring-bound packs of paper, but I used to be a MEGA fan when I did Latin :)

Oh and the course I did had a prescribed vocab list. so I just learned that off by heart. To be honest, it was a reasonably core set of words so it probably wouldn't do you harm, if you were after a massive list of words to get you started, to just google GCSE Latin Vocab Lists. You may or may not find it easy going, but I think it was 500 or 700 words so it wasn't a bad start.

@JoeGuff

I have no clue. All I know is that i'm a junior taking Latin 4 and this is my first year doing I.B. Latin.

I don't really know how you break it down from there.

I didn't do it for IB, but I used to do Latin as a self-taught subject (ugghhghgh) and in my opinion with Latin you just have to memorise it. Memorise vocab, memorise declensions and practice decoding other people's Latin. I had an excellent book at one point which is basically some book an ex-Latin teacher put together himself, but it has the Latin, room for your translation, vocab help, advice AND the real translation, english words to help you learn, information about declensions and what declensions etc. individual words are in ... I mean, it did help that they were for our set texts, but they were damn good books! They even helped you learn skills in literary criticism, weirdly enough. Writing essays about effective use of the Latin language just like for English Lit papers, it was weird :P

Even if they're not for your set texts, I found these really helped me improve my Latin with recognising word orders and having to put it all into practice. I just dug out my old one and found the guy's website for you:

http://www.blue-valleys.com/web/classicalworkbooks/default.asp

I think he prints them off himself, they're just ring-bound packs of paper, but I used to be a MEGA fan when I did Latin :o

Oh and the course I did had a prescribed vocab list. so I just learned that off by heart. To be honest, it was a reasonably core set of words so it probably wouldn't do you harm, if you were after a massive list of words to get you started, to just google GCSE Latin Vocab Lists. You may or may not find it easy going, but I think it was 500 or 700 words so it wasn't a bad start.

Thank you for the link. It looks like it could help a lot. :)

Language B's are usually taken as a foreign language where you mainly focus on learning the language, rather than analyzing literature.

Language A2 is "between" the level your Regular language (First Language/A1) class and Language B. I think that it has some literary and cultural aspects of study built into it.

Edited by JoeGuff

• 10 years later...