#7 "The vocabulary we have does more than communicate our knowledge; it shapes what we can know."

jonathan810

For my TOK essay I choose this question:

"The vocabulary we have does more than communicate our knowledge; it shapes what we can know." Evaluate this claim with reference to different areas of knowledge.

However, my problem is that I cant think of points for this topic..

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am starting to write my essay on this topic as well. I will ask my instructor this question when I get back from break, but for now, here it is:

When the topic states "it shapes what we can know," does it just mean it biases/colors the knowledge we communicate, or can it also mean that it influences HOW we can know things? also, referring to the above post, is discussing different languages relevant? I thought it says "the vocabulary we have," so wouldn't just talking about our native language work?

I guess that was more than one question...

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Have you tried thinking of knowledge for which we have no words? i.e. does language really 'shape' what we can know, or do we know things other than what we have words for, things which are still knowledge despite our inability to articulate them?

I'd imagine many emotions could fit into this category, perhaps, as a little hint... :)

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am starting to write my essay on this topic as well. I will ask my instructor this question when I get back from break, but for now, here it is:

When the topic states "it shapes what we can know," does it just mean it biases/colors the knowledge we communicate, or can it also mean that it influences HOW we can know things? also, referring to the above post, is discussing different languages relevant? I thought it says "the vocabulary we have," so wouldn't just talking about our native language work?

I guess that was more than one question...

Thank you!

I'm still fairly new at this, but I DO believe that thinking of the different perspectives and ways of looking at the questions-- through different specs-- is what the IB wants. It's part of many grading scales (IB Style).... but then again, I would really appreciate it if someone were to confirm my statement.

• Like 1

Hey I'm doing my ToK essay on #7, which is "Vocabulary does more than communicate our knowledge, it shapes what we can know. Evaluate this claim".

In one of my points, I used David Malouf's An Imaginary Life as a point. The idea i tried to raise was that the main character Ovid was able to learn about humanity's connection with nature and spirituality at Tomis (where he was exiled to) even though he was unable to speak the language. This could have meant that not knowing the language opened up the opportunity for more potential knowledge to be gained, since he was not confined to a language anymore, but had to learn everything without being able to rely on a set of vocabulary.

The main reason I wouldn't use this is because it is an example from literature, which is essentially fictional. So, if i was to relate this to the AoK of "Art", how would i relate this to fictional literature if such art is not "real-life"?

• Like 1

is it necessary to elaborate other ways of knowing? I mean other than vocabulary (language)

as for the AOK, will 3 AOKs do?

Have you tried thinking of knowledge for which we have no words? i.e. does language really 'shape' what we can know, or do we know things other than what we have words for, things which are still knowledge despite our inability to articulate them?

I'd imagine many emotions could fit into this category, perhaps, as a little hint... :)

Can you elaborate the 'emotions' part a little more? @_@ I agree that sometimes it's just hard to express your feelings in words but is that really a knowledge?

• Like 1

Emotion is said to be one of the most pure yet meaningless ways of knowing. So yes you are correct to query the validity of emotion as a way of knowing. However, if you feel an emotion, it must exist, agreed? Emotion usually has a trigger. So if you feel an emotion after the trigger, can you not infer something about the trigger? But then again what does that emotion really mean in relation to reality? I would argue it requires heavy inductive reasoning to grasp what each emotion feels like. But even then, each trigger is likely to cause a slightly different emotion. How would you be able to tell the similarities and differences between each occurrence and generalise effectively? I guess I've explored too many counter-arguments to emotion which shouldn't be the main focus within your essay but they still need a brief mention if you do use emotion.

This is my first time writing a ToK essay, luckily it's just a practice one...but I'm wondering how you put the knowledge issue into the paper? Do you phrase it as the question and then answer it? Ex: I thought a knowledge issue might be vocabulary that isn't words, like music notes or numbers or soccer tricks? Is this even a knowledge issue or am I way off the mark? Thanks!

This is my first time writing a ToK essay, luckily it's just a practice one...but I'm wondering how you put the knowledge issue into the paper? Do you phrase it as the question and then answer it? Ex: I thought a knowledge issue might be vocabulary that isn't words, like music notes or numbers or soccer tricks? Is this even a knowledge issue or am I way off the mark? Thanks!

This is my view on ToK essays. Because a essay question is given to you, your main task is to answer that question. The question itself is a knowledge issue and can be seen the main knowledge issue in your presentation and your job in the essay is to try and analyse as many sides of the argument/views as possible to come to a judgment of the quote. Hence a paragraph is unlikely to explore a different knowledge issue; it is more likely that your will be exploring a different area of knowledge or 'environment' where this knowledge issue applies. So, the example you gave is not exploring a different knowledge issue to the title which is whether language can limit our knowledge ect. It is simply exploring a different medium of 'language' and seeing whether the rule (quote) applies there. Thus, you don't really need to mention 'knowledge issue' at all because the entire essay should really be focused on the knowledge issue provided in the question. Hope that made sense.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...