Need help finding a WL topic?

Sandwich

Description given by teacher...

Analysis of two key passages: two significant passages from the same work could be selected in order to explore, for example, contrasting prose styles, descriptive method, character presentation and a range of other aspects. The candidate needs to justify briefly the pivotal nature of the passages chosen and to demonstrate their particular similarties and differences which the candidate considers interesting

So, how should I structure this? Like one of a comparative essay? I'm thinking about writing it on the idea of how the change in character presentation of Esteban Trueba through the description of three marias and the big house on the corner changes the image of him... something like that. Feedback?

This was the assignment for the WL1? As far as I know, the WL1 is comparing two different works, not two different passages.

Well, if this is the assignment you must do, then yes, you would go about it like a comparative essay. Your idea is good. The literary device you would be analyzing are the imagery, details, syntax, whatever. And the two passages would be the marias and house. Sounds good in my opinion :)

Edited by Julie

This was the assignment for the WL1? As far as I know, the WL1 is comparing two different works, not two different passages.

Well, if this is the assignment you must do, then yes, you would go about it like a comparative essay. Your idea is good. The literary device you would be analyzing are the imagery, details, syntax, whatever. And the two passages would be the marias and house. Sounds good in my opinion :D

Ah yes, this is for WL 2b. So this would be more like a commentary comparative, wouldn't it :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Edited by Desy ♫

Ah yes, this is for WL 2c. So this would be more like a commentary comparative, wouldn't it :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Oh of course, haha, silly me. Then yes, for 2c you are basically writing a commentary. Try to look at it as just a literary essay. That's how I always so it. Our teacher tried to explain the difference between a literary essay and commentary, and I never understood, so I continued to write them like essays. Worked like a charm :D

Oh of course, haha, silly me. Then yes, for 2c you are basically writing a commentary. Try to look at it as just a literary essay. That's how I always so it. Our teacher tried to explain the difference between a literary essay and commentary, and I never understood, so I continued to write them like essays. Worked like a charm :)

ahh my mistake, i meant 2b- two key passages.

current thesis:

the two physical foundations that are established by Esteban Trueba foreshadows the development of his character and his relationships with his family.

arg1: character, arg2:relationships.

thing is i think i'm gonna end up focusing on literary devices to prove that it foreshadows his character or whatever, which ismore like a commentary, no?

ahh my mistake, i meant 2b- two key passages.

current thesis:

the two physical foundations that are established by Esteban Trueba foreshadows the development of his character and his relationships with his family.

arg1: character, arg2:relationships.

thing is i think i'm gonna end up focusing on literary devices to prove that it foreshadows his character or whatever, which ismore like a commentary, no?

Yes, you would focus on the literary devices in the descriptions of the two physical foundations. Basically you would be writing about how those literary devices intensify the image create of the foundations, and what purpose they serve for the overall book. It seems quite interesting actually.

By the way, your thesis is nice, but two problems- it is in passive voice, and you have a typo. Try to rearrange it into active voice. Always write actively :D Just cut out "that are" and "foreshadows" doesn't need the "s":

Edited by Desy ♫
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thank you very much for such a useful information! It helps me a lot!

Have you read Metamorphosis by Kafka and the Stranger by Camus?

If yes, could you please comment on my WL essay topic?

I decided to discuss the aspect of death and decay in both books and compare them by revealing the purpose of using the concept of death and decay.

Do you think it is a good topic or I should make it more specific?

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody read King Oedipus, Electra or Prometheus for WL? right now I am planning on evaluating Zeus as a father figure....but this plays are hard to understand, if anyone could help please do so.

Edited by lutank85

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am wondering if these topics are good or phrased in the correct way. They are on "Wonderful Fool" by Shusaku Endo

"How does the relationship between Tomoe and Takamori change through the differents events in the novel?"

"How does Gaston change the people he meets?"

"What is the significance of elements of birds and nature?"

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I'm doing Medea by itself for my World Lit 2, and I'd prefer to choose option 2b, the creative option.

So far I was leaning towards writing a conversation or some type of dialogues. At first I thought I'd do a monologue but if you've read Medea or really any ancient Greek play, there's not a lot of room for re-writing or adding to the drama or their thoughts, you know what I mean? The chorus is already there explainging everything that goes on, and especially in the ending Medea and Jason are pretty straightforward about how they feel and I don't want to risk repeating everything said in the book but in different words. So I had the idea of writing from Euripides point of view, like a modern interviewer discussing why he wrote Medea the way he did? If anyone could suggest ideas that would be great... I feel Euripides would just go on about how and why he made it a tragedy but Euripides wrote his plays in such a way that they are like Tragic Comedies, but I dont feel like Medea is the best example and I don't want to try finding examples and molding them just to fit the idea...

That might have been a bit vague but if anyone's read and studied Medea any feedback or suggestions would much appreciated!

• 1 month later...