History EE Format

Guest qiubai

Guest qiubai

Hey, is anyone doing the history extended essay?

does anyone know the prefered word count for each parts of the essay?

oh, forgot to mention, my teacher told me that the parts of the essay I have to include are:

intro

summary of evidence

evaluation

analysis

conclusion

My teacher also needs me to do an abstract for my essay.

I heard that the format of the extended essay is pretty much like the History internal assessment.

so, concerning the plan of investigation, is it just the abstract then?

No, no, the abstract is a totally separate part of the essay. You write the abstract after every part of your essay has been finished. The abstract is a sypnopsis of your essay, it describes briefly what the essay talks about and what it concludes in the end. It's 300 words and doesn't count in the word count.

You don't necessarily have to stick rigidly to the format you'ved listed as you do with the History IA, though it would be in your interest to do that. However, plenty of good History EEs have ignored the Historical Investigation format and still got good grades.

As for the wordcount for each part of the essay, really that totally depends on the nature of your essay title and the information you can optain. But considering History IA is 2000 words and EE is 4000, it's probably jsut probably just double what you'd normally write for IA.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm also writing my ee in history.. i read in the ee booklet about history as a topic and if i remember correctly the format of the HI isn't a must but theyre very keen on evaluation o fsources ...

once i know more ill let you know, but you should ask yor teacher for the ee booklet with all the topics to get the one about history, it'll give you a good idea...

good luck ;)

• 2 weeks later...

to add you should also make sure that you know what is required in the history subject rubric or the best grade you will get is a 'D'. THis brings me to my question: Okay, my EE topic is on Chinese and Russian communism. My question is for what reasons did Russia cease in assisting in China's decelopment of nuclear weapons and where did China go for nuclear technology after that? All that is well and good but my TOK teacher says that I need to go further beyond what I researched to get a good grade. I basically need to add somthing new to make it different from all the other things written about the subject. Does anyone have any ideas?

yeah basically the whole Sino-Soviet alliance and split are going to be a big part of my paper because that alliance is basically the reason why the Soviet Union started helping the China to begin with. Any way thanks for your help. This whole forum is a life saver.

Edited by Alvar

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest trotskyism

I am pretty sure the recommended word count is 3500-4000 anything above or below will score 0 on one of the criterions, also though the structure is supposed to be similar to the historical investigation it's not identical, you will definitely need to have more than one subheading related to your topic. e.g. you want to do something about mao's policy, then you write effects of mao's policy, you write one subheading about the policy, one subheading for effect a third subheading for another interpretation made by historians in the effect.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest yagrco474

Someone up there mentioned that IB is pretty keen on evaluation of sources. Does anyone have any tips on how to go about doing this? Should it be internal within the paper, such as talking about the value of the sources when introducing a quote, or should it be put in some format such as an annotated bibliography at the end of the paper? Any tips are appreciated!

Someone up there mentioned that IB is pretty keen on evaluation of sources. Does anyone have any tips on how to go about doing this? Should it be internal within the paper, such as talking about the value of the sources when introducing a quote, or should it be put in some format such as an annotated bibliography at the end of the paper? Any tips are appreciated!

I think we are supposed write about that in the abstract.. at least that's what my supervisor's told me to do.

No no no no... XD the evaluation of sources is part of the essay - like the one in your historical investigation, but more detailed and not necessarily to the same format. To do a history EE you have to have sources, right, and you pick maybe 2 of the most relevant ones to evaluate. You can either work the evaluation into the analysis of the essay or have a separate section for it. Evaluation of historical sources look at hte source's origin and purpose, to evaluate its usefulness, its biases and limitations. You talk about what useful information can be taken from the source, its reliability, and relevance to the hisotorical event you're talking about etc.

The abstract talks about the essay as a whole and is an overview of the essay. The abstract should not go into details of the arguments of the essay but give a brief summary.

No no no no... XD the evaluation of sources is part of the essay - like the one in your historical investigation, but more detailed and not necessarily to the same format. To do a history EE you have to have sources, right, and you pick maybe 2 of the most relevant ones to evaluate. You can either work the evaluation into the analysis of the essay or have a separate section for it. Evaluation of historical sources look at hte source's origin and purpose, to evaluate its usefulness, its biases and limitations. You talk about what useful information can be taken from the source, its reliability, and relevance to the hisotorical event you're talking about etc.

The abstract talks about the essay as a whole and is an overview of the essay. The abstract should not go into details of the arguments of the essay but give a brief summary.

:l

When I handed in the first draft of my abstract, my supervisor told me to comment on my sources in it. =/