Studying in Europe

deissi

Finland

Why on earth would I apply to Finland?

The reason, in a nutshell, is that higher education is completely free of charge to everyone - no matter whether you're Finnish, Dutch or South African.

How to apply to, and choose, a university

The number of English language undergraduate courses is limited, so you won't have too much choice. All universities offer MSc/MA courses in English, but since this site is concentrated on students who are moving from high school to university, I'll concentrate on that.

Basically the only university offering undergraduate courses in English is the Helsinki School of Economics (Aalto University from 1.1.2010). HSE is considered the best school for management and economics in Finland, and it is a good school even by international standards. The courses they offer in English are Finance, Business Technology, International Business and Economics.

To apply, you will need good SAT scores, as foreign applicants are accepted on the basis of their critical reading and math score. The minimum requirement is quite low, but in practice you should have about 1300 points combined from CR + Math to stand a chance in the admissions process.

The application takes place through the website www.yliopistohaku.fi, where you can also search for universities. The application process usually begins in February and ends in the end of April. You do not need any references or personal statements, and when you have filled in your personal details, selecting your school of choice (HSE) is very straightforward. You enter your SAT scores on the application site manually, and then go on CollegeBoard's website and send your SAT scores to the Helsinki School of Economics, so they can verify them. After that, follow HSE's website, where they'll release the results of who has been admitted in July.

Accomodation

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

Hello all,

I do realize that most University traffic goes to the US/UK but someone out there must be looking for some answers about studying in Europe right? given that fees are much cheaper, and you have the challenge of learning a new language, don't disregard studying in a non English speaking European country.

I'll be posting links and advice as I go along, I'm currently trying to apply for masters programs and I want to go somewhere in mainland Europe, perhaps with a possibility to do Erasmus as well :sadnod:

Search engine website to English courses in EU countries

Masters comparison site for European Universities

Belgium

Katholieke Universiteit Leuven

This is the oldest University in Belgium (Oxbridge equivilant there) and it offers many courses in English. Fees for the year are a mere 600 euros for Europeans, and they charge an extra 50 euros for international students as processing fees.

• Like 1

If you guys know German fluently you can go to German universities. Fees are literally 100 Euros a year. But you have to know German really well because all the classes are in German D: My friends going there.

They average 500 euros a year, and are different from county to county. So it's actually free in some county's for EU nationals I think.

Also the link I posted in the OP links to courses in English all over Europe, so you don't need to learn German for some of them. It's a good link serves its purpose :sadnod: