HL Textbooks

chokophilia

Hi all!

I'm currently using the "Mathematics for International Student" (Haese & Harris Publications) as my main maths textbook and I was wondering if that would be enough for me to achieve good marks for Maths HL.

There's another Maths book by IBID press but I'm not sure if its worth for me to get it

Or should I just do questions from past papers?

What ar ur thoughts?

• Like 2

Well, for any other course, I'd recommend getting good at doing past papers and using an IB study guide, but for math, it's always better to become a good math student, rather than one skilled at writing IB math exams. As such, you're gonna need more than one textbook to get it all done.

First off, I'd say you absolutely need an early transendentals calculus textbook (hopefully one that covers vectors and complex numbers) to get that portion out of the way. If you're doing the differential equations and infinite sequences/series option, a good calculus textbook will cover that too.

Now, on top of that, you're going to need to find a more general textbook that deals with probability, and something you can use to learn matricies and vectors if your calculus textbook doesn't have it. That being said, this last bit is covered by my teacher's student notes and practice problems, but yours might not have that.

• Like 1

We are using the IBID press book for our option (Series and Differential Equations), and it is an amazing book. It has really nice worked examples, and explains things really well.

And yes, we are using a series of books for our HL math course. We are using the IBID one for complex numbers and some older (1989 edition-back when the educational system didn't fail) McGraw-Hill books- algebra and geometry/finite math/calculus. They cover things pretty well. For HL math, it really is more than just practice though. In SL if you understand the general concept, you'll be well off. In HL, you need a good backing, and as my math teacher puts it "mathematical imagination". Also, you have to not be lazy, and actually do the work (since my HL math course is entirely independent study).

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah we use the Haese and Harris Publications textbook too, and yeah... I find it substandard aswell. For a while, i thought that IB math was way overated. IBID text book you say. Does it have a more specific name?.. like, the specifics >.< . Could i buy it off the internet? .. Coz my school doesn't really seem like they care much about our grade. *mutters to self* And i feel so ill-informed about EVERYTHING! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

We use the Haese & Harris and we're not Australian! I find it quite useful except that it doesn't cover everything we need for IB, so we often have to use worksheets. I'm quite sure the HLs at my school also use Haese & Harris.

Also, yes there is a Maths study guide but I haven't used it so I don't know how helpful it is: http://store.ibo.org/product_info.php?cPath=23_220&products_id=1457

• Like 1

the best textbook for maths hl is maths hl by ibid..!! ibid is also an australian press..!! haess and harris is a very simple book,and it doesnt gives u real ib simulation while ibid maths book does give u tat..!! good luck..!! :D

• Like 1

I'm using the Pearson Baccalaureate one(why on earth can I spell that now????? IB has destroyed me. I miss not being able to spell that word...) anyway it's really good! Our school supplied us with the haese and harris - but it was terrible! I really didn't like using it, so eventually I bought this one for myself, after I had gotten the physics standard level book from the same brand (by the way, if you do take physics sl, I really reccomend that book. Don't know about hl but for sl it's incredible!)

So yeah the Pearson one is incredible! I recommend it to anyone :D

Edited by aya91

I'm using the Pearson Baccalaureate one(why on earth can I spell that now????? IB has destroyed me. I miss not being able to spell that word...) anyway it's really good! Our school supplied us with the haese and harris - but it was terrible! I really didn't like using it, so eventually I bought this one for myself, after I had gotten the physics standard level book from the same brand (by the way, if you do take physics sl, I really reccomend that book. Don't know about hl but for sl it's incredible!)

So yeah the Pearson one is incredible! I recommend it to anyone :bawling:

Hi there! I found Pearson Baccalaureate to be great too. The physics HL textbook is set out nicely, but you won't be able to do a lot without a good teacher to compliment it, as it is quite simplified.

The chemistry SL is really really good too. It's easily readable and I even found the way it presents the information interesting!

Should I get the Pearson maths book if I already have the Haese and Harris one? I don't think the teacher would be happy to help me with those problems from another textbook...

Anyway, definitely recommend the Pearson chemistry books - reading it makes it much clearer when your teacher is a little confusing.

So yeah the Pearson one is incredible! I recommend it to anyone :bawling:

Hi there! I found Pearson Baccalaureate to be great too. The physics HL textbook is set out nicely, but you won't be able to do a lot without a good teacher to compliment it, as it is quite simplified.

The chemistry SL is really really good too. It's easily readable and I even found the way it presents the information interesting!

Should I get the Pearson maths book if I already have the Haese and Harris one? I don't think the teacher would be happy to help me with those problems from another textbook...

Anyway, definitely recommend the Pearson chemistry books - reading it makes it much clearer when your teacher is a little confusing.

You should definately get the Pearson one even if you have the H&H one - Again I have both and I found H&H to be pretty much useless in comparison... Plus the problems in the Pearson book are a lot closer to IB exam questions, so it prepares you better than H&H.

• Like 1

We use the fat Oxford University textbook... it's kind of nice to read but for a review it doesn't give a good overview.

I also have the OSC (Oxford Study Courses, bot Oxford University!) study guide. That one is good! I like the way it's written, clearly structured and gives explains each topic on only a few pages.

http://www.osc-ib.com/ib-revision-guides/default.asp?categoryid=13&pageid=156&pagetitle=IB-Mathematics

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I use the IBID book, I thinks its excellent when it comes to it's exercises & problems (very challenging ones!!) & I really like it overall

It's not the best when it comes to explaining in some parts and I found it to include out of syllabus material at points (like stuff from the option)but overall I think it's the strongest and the one to use if you want to practice solving difficult problems

I also use the Oxford book sometimes...

I am in Egypt & we have Hease & Harris here as well but I have personally never used it (except for photocopying an exercise for one chapter I think)

Never heard of Pearson baccalaureate & not sure about the study guide :bawling:

Edited by n0urhan
  • Like 1